Is it PlexManager 2000 or Bad Karma?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey paul,

i have a question about your drive...does yours have the 4 retainers in the tray? mine doesn't have any...just two cutouts where two would mount? the box that mine came in shows 4 retainers.

cc

Comment

No retainers. Do you intend to do a verticle mount? Maybe Plextor can send you retainers to attach to those cutouts, as they appear functional.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

I have to say, I'm really giddy about this drive. It feels so solid and well-made. I've been a Plextor customer for a long time, but they really seem to be outdoing themselves lately.

Only Plextor can get you all excited by a ROM device. The company seems to have suceeded by paying attention to detail, understating their specs, never indulging in ridiculous hype (my fastest PIII still hasn't truly enhanced my Internet experience), and charging a little extra.

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

paulcs,

just curious about the retainers...my drive is mounted vertical..

i just finished burning 646 mb of data on the fly from multiple sources(HDs) while surfing the web and listening to some rush limbaugh sound bites...in 7 min flat..using the latest version of nero, i had to answer a couple of questions about the lead-out and 1 file(..it truncated it)

1 question, if i want to "overburn", do i have to buy 80 min CDs ?

cc

Comment

No, that's not what over-burning is. Overburning is kind of like when you buy a roll of film that says "24 Exposures". You can usually get 25 or 26 on there.

Your software needs to support it, and your drive. I have Nero, which supports it, but my computer locks up when I try to over-burn on my Plextor.....

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I haven't done any overburning, but, from what I understand, you basically use the CD-R's official capacity plus the lead-out. Using the lead-out gives you about 90 additional seconds on a 74 minute CD.

The spiral on an 80 minute CD-R is just wound tighter, which allows for more data to be stored in roughly the same amount of space.

Apparently, there is the possibility that you could damage your player by overburning, although I don't know anyone who's managed to do this.

Paul
              paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 24 December 2000).]

Comment

When I had the Aopen CRW9420 (Ricoh 7040A) I burned 77+ minutes on a generic Samsung CD.
                With the Plextor I have gone up to 76:58 on the same media. This was under BeOS 5.03 PE using CD Manager though. Funny enough the drive wouldn't rip the last song. CDPlayer.exe in win98 would play it though.
                [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

I have the IDE 12x, and I've managed to overburn successfully with both 74 and 80 minute CDRs, but I find the overburning capability is almost totally dependent on what brand media your using. Plus, you have to experiment a little to find out just how much more you can squeeze out of a CDR when overburning. Overall, I prefer to avoid it if possible since some audio players have trouble with overburned audio CDs. LOVE this drive though, and I too have had general "yuckiness" with the Plextor software. I'm sticking to Nero. Good thing about the Plexwriter compared to other burners is you can burn 16-20 CDs in a row, and the drive or the media doesn't even get warm. Gotta love that.

Bart
                  Bart

Comment

Working...
                  X