Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's wrong with this pic of the new Asus A7V266 mobo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's wrong with this pic of the new Asus A7V266 mobo?

Check it out, it looks like it has 6 pci slots but the one on the end looks backwards? what am I missing? Also, notice the caps are no longer on a riser board to give extra room for a big fat fan. And why is the floppy port near the pci slots? Enquiring minds want to know...

Dave

------------------
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

looks like they used every available inch of the pcb as for the backwards pci no clue...

and your question as to the hokey pokey
    if it is what its all about then we must do the hokey pokey
    (not with each other mind you

------------------
    MSI K7TPro2 Duron 750@900
    256Ram G400DH32mb
    Pioneer SCSI 16xDVD
    DFI NFIIUltra 400
    756Ram ATI 9550 256mem
    Lite-On DVDR/RW/DL
    Windows XP pro
    msn messenger id: gchisel
    Be aware that a halo has to fall only a few inches to be a noose

Comment

W2K SP2 will be supplied in a hardware format - Socket will be used for that after a bios upgrade to be released later this year.

------------------
      Lawrence

[This message has been edited by LvR (edited 09 February 2001).]
      Lawrence

Comment

That could be a 5V notch instead of a 3.3V notch (like you see on DIMM's). Or, it could be a 66/33MHz notch.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Isn't that the AMR-port? It seems to have the same location at the mobo as the AMR but it's just a bit longer. This is probalbly why it's turned backwards since it is the AMR standard. They wouldn't wan't you stuff in a PCI card there...
          I have an AMR port on my Asus K7V but it's a lot shorter, maybe this is something that is new with the longer port.

------------------
          My system:
          • Athlon 700@875 (8.5*103,memory @137)
          • Water Cooled Processor
          • 256 Mb Ram (133MHz)
          • Asus K7V mb
          • Matrox G400 (oc @ 150/200)
          • Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller
          • 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller and a Seagate 6.5GB (removable) hdd
          • Aureal SQ1500 soundcard
          • Logitech Force Feedback wheel (Well spent money)
          • 300W atx high tower case
          • Dual Majesty Exhaust fans (sweet silence... ),1*92mm exthaust + 1*120 in the front..
          • 100 Mb External ZipDrive
          • 10/100Mb Realtek Ethernet network card

My Homepage
          homemade watercooling in use ,Pics on the homepage...
          My system:
          | Athlon XP2600+ 2,4GHz@200FSB| Water Cooled Processor | Samsung 2x256MB PC3200 Ram (400MHz) | Epox 8RDA mb | Hercules FDX Radeon 8500 LE 128MB | Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller | 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller | Soundblaster 5.1 Audigy Player | Actima 6x/32x DVD-ROM, Samsung 12x/8x/32x CDRW | Logitech Force Feedback wheel | Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick | 550W water-cooled Q-TEC PSU | 278/278 kbit DSL internet connection | Windows 2000 Pro | My Homepage
          homemade watercooling in use,Pics on the homepage...

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

That is an ACR - Advanced Communications Riser.

Comment

It´s PCI-slot keyed for 3,3V. I´m not sure but I almost think it´s so.

Comment

Liquid Snake is right.. it's the latest AMR/CNR/Whatever variant used by VIA.

I think Intel switched standards twice already.. so there now are 3 different 'worthless expansion slot' types?

Comment

Frankly, I think it's collective insanity.

Stick a cracker in it. Maybe a slice of dry toast. Let's face it. You're not going to get anything else in it.

Of course, a single ISA slot might actually be useful.

Paul
                  paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

All those perfectly good faxmodems...

I'm telling you, I might just faint if I ever see a device on the shelves that will fit into one of these slots.

Paul
                    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

It's an ACR slot: Advanced Communication Riser, which are compatible with CNR devices as well. A pity that the CNR devices are without exception software based, while the ACR allows for some hardware accelerated devices.

3.3V PCI slots are 64Bit 66MHz: The slots are physically longer, and they have two dividers instead of one. They come in two flavors: 3.3 Volt versions look like a "Backwards" long PCI slot, while 5.5V Slots are 100% backwards compatible with a regular PCI slot (But are longer as well), and have a 64 bit wide data path clocked at 33MHz.

Most newer chipsets set up two distinct PCI bus': one PCI64/66MHz, and the other PCI64/33Mhz.

Most newer chipsets will support PCI64: look for it to become mainstream by the end of this year.

ISA slots, by Intel and Microsoft decree, are to have gone the way of the dodo this year:

Windows 2000 "Certified" systems made after 1999 CANNOT have an ISA bus present. Windows XP (Whistler) will be the absolute last version of Windows with ISA support. (So M/S says, anyway.)

I agree that the good old ISA bus was a handy way around some thorny problems that couldn't be overcome with PCI devices. Modems mostly, but getting your system "just so" is important.

[This message has been edited by MultimediaMan (edited 09 February 2001).]
                      Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

I feel the same way. We get a new communications riser just in time for everyone to start using el-cheapo NIC's for cable modems and DSL

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 11 February 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                        X