WinME and notepad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinME and notepad

What have they done? AARGH! I often use notepad for editing files (up to 500k), works fine...but not in ME! WHY? When I open a file with (or send a file to) notepad it automatically switch to Wordpad! Why doesn't windows ask anything anymore?
    Ok, so wordpad isn't that horrible, BUT since I also usually want have several copies open of the same file it really screws up! Example: I want to open WinME.suc (500kB) with notepad, when I send the file to notepad windows Me switches to wordpad. When I the second time send winME.suc to notepad (the file have been edited since last time) windows just throws the previously opened winME.suc on top! I really wanted the latest version of the file opened...
    Why do Microsoft do this, win 9x used to ask things like do you want to open with wordpad and Do you want windows to automatically search for drivers. Same thing with office 2000, it IS annoying when it doesn't even ask before doing something!

Are there any settings for the limit before changing to wordpad?
    Are there setting for always opening in a new note/wordpad?
    I wish there were setting to disable ALL automatically thing done in windows!!!

Does it help to copy the notepad.exe from Win9x?

------------------
    My system:
    • Athlon 700@875 (8.5*103,memory @137)
    • Water Cooled Processor
    • 256 Mb Ram (133MHz)
    • Asus K7V mb
    • Matrox G400 (oc @ 150/200)
    • Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller
    • 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller and a Seagate 6.5GB (removable) hdd
    • Aureal SQ1500 soundcard
    • Logitech Force Feedback wheel (Well spent money)
    • 300W atx high tower case
    • Dual Majesty Exhaust fans (sweet silence... ),1*92mm exthaust + 1*120 in the front..
    • 100 Mb External ZipDrive
    • 10/100Mb Realtek Ethernet network card

My Homepage
    homemade watercooling in use ,Pics on the homepage...
    My system:
    | Athlon XP2600+ 2,4GHz@200FSB| Water Cooled Processor | Samsung 2x256MB PC3200 Ram (400MHz) | Epox 8RDA mb | Hercules FDX Radeon 8500 LE 128MB | Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller | 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller | Soundblaster 5.1 Audigy Player | Actima 6x/32x DVD-ROM, Samsung 12x/8x/32x CDRW | Logitech Force Feedback wheel | Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick | 550W water-cooled Q-TEC PSU | 278/278 kbit DSL internet connection | Windows 2000 Pro | My Homepage
    homemade watercooling in use,Pics on the homepage...

no more VIA, no more!

As far as I know, the upper limit for Win9x Notepad has always been 64KB, so I'm not sure how you've been able to open 500KB, unless you use a 3rd party Notepad???
    P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
    Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

Only WinNT's and Win2K's notepad has ever been able to open files over 64kb in size.

------------------
      Cheers,
      Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Well, one fix would be to delete WordPad. Personally, I hate the thing.

Of course, that won't fix the limitation with notepad and file sizes. You could [b]maybe[b] try getting notepad from win2000 or winnt, although I'm not sure that this would work.

I would recommend switching text editors to something a little more beefy than notepad. I've used EditPad (postcardware) with decent success. There are many other text editors out there that are far superior to notepad.

b
        Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

I use a program called NotePad+

One thing that Wordpad is useful for is opening up a Unix text file, and resaving it in that stupid MS text format.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yes, I use Notepad++ to edit anything in Windows.
            It's a free program, all you need to do is backup your old version of Windows Notepad, and put this version over it.

Jord.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

I like Object Editor.

Oh wait, you'd have to subscribe to Object Desktop Network to get that. Heh.

- Gurm

------------------
              Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

No ego. Object Desktop is well worth the $50. And Object Editor is the best "lite" editor around, IMHO.

I finished typing the message and went to get a link and realized at the last minute that you had to subscribe to get OE. Sorry.

- Gurm

------------------
                Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

The Windows Notepad simply uses the standard edit box control which has the 64kb limitation in win9x/me. Thus the Windows 2000 notepad is essentially the same application only it is no longer limited by the OS. So copying NT Notepad to a Win9x machine won't change anything.

You might want to try <a href="http://www.ultraedit.com">UltraEdit</a>.

Comment

(and "peeps" (just for U Jason) complain about my ego LOL
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Thanx, I have used notepad in NT and was therefore suprised by Me...
                      I'll try the notepad++ and ultra edit.
                      My system:
                      | Athlon XP2600+ 2,4GHz@200FSB| Water Cooled Processor | Samsung 2x256MB PC3200 Ram (400MHz) | Epox 8RDA mb | Hercules FDX Radeon 8500 LE 128MB | Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller | 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller | Soundblaster 5.1 Audigy Player | Actima 6x/32x DVD-ROM, Samsung 12x/8x/32x CDRW | Logitech Force Feedback wheel | Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick | 550W water-cooled Q-TEC PSU | 278/278 kbit DSL internet connection | Windows 2000 Pro | My Homepage
                      homemade watercooling in use,Pics on the homepage...

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

Working...
                      X