Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM DTLA causing reboots on LX mobo!

Hi all you HDD gurus!
    I tried installing a brand new DTLA-307045 (46.1Gb) in a friends old Quantex P2-350 (LX mobo) last night and had a wasted 60 mile trip!
    First, the mobo wouldn't detect the HDD (just hung). When I used the 32Gig clip mode it was recognised as a 32Gig drive just fine.
    (I presume from this that 32Gig is a limitation of LX?)
    I used Ghost to clone the old 20Gig onto the new and it rebooted ~95% of the way through a 12Gig clone. I tried again and the same happened.
    I am using it now in my system (spec below) without a hitch, except Norton does a physical benchmark of ~15mb/sec whereas my 20Gig drive does twice that. It is very quiet - maybe it is set to spin slow by default?

Can anyone suggest if I have any chance of making this work in my friends system, and how?

Cheers, Tony.

------------------
    K7Pro(110), Athlon 930(750)@8.5,108fsb, G400 32 DH@max, 1.6BIOS and 6.21, DX8, SB Live Player 1024, 256Mb PC133 CAS-2, Pioneer 103S DVD, 20Gig IBM 7200 ATA66, LS120, MS forcefeedback pro, CL WebCam III etc etc
    FT.

add a Promise (or similar) IDE PCI controller
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Normally I wouldn't advise you to buy more hardware to fix a problem with old hardware. BUT, a Promise Ultra66 or Ultra100 controller can be had for about $25 now.

A cheap way to not only get your entire 60 gigs, but boost your access times and throughput as well.

- Gurm

------------------
      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Thanks Guys

I had thought of that, but this is a stop gap while untill he buys a whole new PC soon and plays the HDD swapping game again. Also, All his IRQs are taken (long list).
        I take it from your replies that it can't be made to work the the std. controller in this mobo?

Cheers, Tony.
        FT.

Comment

I recently bought the same drive. In anticipation of a new mobo, I currently run it on my old Abit LX6.

With the 32 GB cap, but it works flawlessly.

Martin

BTW: the 32 GB cap is not so much a limitation of the LX chipset itself, but of the BIOS. It's just that these mobo's generally don't get any BIOS-updates anymore.

Comment

Tony, Ees is correct. This is a limitation of the MB's BIOS. Unless an udate is issued (don't count on that happening), the only solution is the one given.

An unused comm port may be safely removed in most cases and allow him to proceed with our suggestion.

The flipside of this is that a Promise 66 or 100 (get the 100) controller can be modified to a raid (Fasttrack) controller for next to nothing (Gurm has done this) and that new system could have even more life breathed into it when a second duplicate HD is added.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Right, I'll get him to check with Quantex for a new BIOS (it still has the original, so you never know).
              I remember the Fasttrack mods. That would be quite tempting for my own system, but it doesn't really fit in with his approach to computing, if you see what I mean.

I wonder why it was causing reboots during imaging? Perhaps a BIOS update would solve this too. No problems in my own system except the benchmark.

Cheers, Tony.
              FT.

Comment

Isn't this one of the things those EZ-BIOS programs fix?
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Wombat - I see IBM have one of those called DriveGuide. Presumably I won't be able to use Ghost and this at the same time?

Cheers, Tony.
                  FT.

Comment

I found the answer to the reboots:

From the symantec website:
                    Problem:
                    Computer restarts during cloning, with drives having more than 10.5 GB of data

Situation:
                    While creating an image file of a disk or partition that has more than about 10 GB of data, the computer restarts, but the cloning process does not complete.

Solution:
                    Ghost versions 5.1d and earlier cannot clone drives having more than about 10.5 GB space in use. This problem might be resolved by upgrading to Norton Ghost 2001. See the document How to update Ghost 6.x to the latest version.

I had ~12Gig data, and version 5.1d!
                    Solution - new BIOS if possible, but not a problem as 32Gig will do for now, and either find a newer version of Ghost or reduce the amount of data of the HDD below 10.5Gig.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Tony.
                    FT.

Comment

Working...
                    X