Thermal sensing Cu CPU on P2B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermal sensing Cu CPU on P2B

How do I read the CPU temperature on a SlotKET!!! installed P!!!/850 on my P2B-S MB? I assume I can't get the data off the CPU pins (using the on-die temp diode) w/ this MB. Should I use a P2T-cable like on my SECC2 package P!!!/450? Where exactly would I place it?

<TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Hi,
    you would have to use an external thermal sensor like you did on your SECC2 cartridge, preferably the original sensor from ASUS unless you know the exact value for the thermal resistor (you could get an equal part from your favourite electronics store for less money than the ASUS part). Place it as near as you can towards the processor die underneath the heatsink. You MUST not put it between the die and the heatsink. Use some temperature resistant selfadhesive tape like copper tape used for stained glass artwork to fix it on the sink and be sure to have cleaned the sink from thermal compound or grease before applying the tape. This should give you decent readings of the processor temperature...

Anybody disagree?

Sascha

------------------
    The pump don't work, 'cause the vandals took the handle...
    Bob Dylan

The pump don't work, 'cause the vandals took the handle...
    Bob Dylan

Comment

One Radio Shack thermistor (they only sell one kind) plus the wires/connector from an old case speaker or whatever.
      A little solder and some tape.
      Bingo.
      One thermal sensor for your P2B for less that a buck and a half.
      And you can use it to check other temps, too (video, hard drives, etc.)

[This message has been edited by Kruzin (edited 13 March 2001).]
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

The P2T-cable I referred to is the Asus thermistor: They're cheap and easy to get hold of here. The retail Cu I have comes with a HS that has the same footprint as the CPU board. So I take it that I should mount the thermistor on the board, nearly adjacent to the die, thus under the HS ... right?
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Thanks all. I'll go shopping today for another thermistor. I'm not sure what temperatures I can expect. The placement relative to the die is very different from my SECC2 450 to the FC-PGA 850. I guess I'll just have to monitor under various loads and get a feel for it. Anybody know what I should expect? I was getting around 37 C with my SECC2 usually with a max of 40 C on the hottest day of the year.

Another thing ... is there a safe way to remove the HS without damaging the CPU? The HS retention mechanism took quite a bit of force to secure it and I'm concerned about a mishap while trying to unlatch it. Hopefully I won't have to mess around with the thermal interface material during this removal and reattachment. I'm going to try slipping in the thermistor first w/o removing the HS but I don't have a lot of confidence that it will be manageable.

Comment

not sure how to unlock your HS, but isn't there a small gap between HS and PCB where you could insert the thermal probe ?
            Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
            Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
            be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
            4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
            2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
            OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
            4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
            Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
            Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
            LG BH10LS38
            LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Yes there is a small gap but I'm not sure I can manage getting the probe in and tack it down w/i that small area. I picked up the thermistor yesterday but I haven't yanked the CPU package yet to try applying the thermistor. Maybe I'll get lucky and it won't be a big deal.

Comment

Working...
              X