No announcement yet.

Which notebook to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sure dont hope that there will be any problems, but should it happen, then Ill take it from there, thx for the warning though. The only problem is if the danish distributor goes bankrupt, but they seem pretty reliable, so Im not worried - yet!

Thanks for the memory-advice, I will buy an upgrade sometime in the future, but 128mb is enough for the time being. (Who am I kidding? nothing is ever enough! )

It should arrive on tuesday, oh man I feel like a small child waiting for Christmas eve.
    System:
    Asus A7V rev. 1.01p bios 1011
    AMD Thunderbird 800
    SBLive retail with liveware 3.0
    Matrox g400 MAX pd 6.51
    LG Flatron 795FT 17" monitor
    IBM 13.5 GB 7200 hdd
    Pioneer 106-s dvdrom
    WinME
    directx 8.0a
    384mb pc133

Comment

3y3 h8 laptops/notebooks.
      But I don't mind IBMs or Dells.
      About CompaQ... Do NOT I repeat do NOT buy a Notebook 100. It is a stinky pile of dogsh*t, really it is. Most of the Armadas arent too bad though.
      [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
      Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
      Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
      Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
      Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

since this is my first laptop, i must ask...is the sony brand, as far as laptops go, very good? i bought their top of the line model...yeah, i know that it is outdated as it is being built, but it should serve me well for quite awhile.

as soon as my employer(USPS) gets this "PC" offer going i plan on starting a business working on them(..compaqs and ibm, employees choice). their plan is to automate human resources by getting these computers in the hand of the employees and putting all the functions of HR on their intranet/lan. plus i can keep track of my futures account while attending training in OKC.

cc

Comment

Actually.. Here's an answer that I just might get eaten alive for. Ever consider a G4 Titatium laptop from Apple?

Now, before you go off on some long anti-Apple rant, I want you to consider some things: The Apple offering is the finest laptop around. Big screen, long battery, DVD, top notch speed and a decent price.

I have a Toshiba 4300. It sucks. It's slow, unstable hardware (at least 2 BSOD's a week) with no battery life (2 hours standard, 40 minutes with the DVD drive going) and endless problems.

You said no gaming, and Microsoft offers Office. Not only that, but in 13 days, MacOS X comes out. A real OS, heaven forbid. BSD core. A pretty UI (if that turns your crank).

But, really, before you do anything else, go pick up a G4 Powerbook. Hold it in your hand. And I mean that, one hand. It's light and the thinnest thing I've ever seen. It's beautiful hardware.

Comment

Im not gonna eat you alive (or dead for that matter ) I appreciate your input, but I have already ordered my asus a1 which hopefully arrives tomorrow.

My only reservation with buying an Apple, would be that I dont know anything about apple, where I know my way around a pc, the learning curve may be short but I just want to plug in the power and go!

Jesper
            System:
            AMD Thunderbird 800
            Matrox g400 MAX pd 6.51
            IBM 13.5 GB 7200 hdd
            Pioneer 106-s dvdrom
            WinME
            directx 8.0a
            384mb pc133

Comment

hey hey hey...got my sony today!!!

what a nice machine...i'll be playing now!

cc

Comment

Yahooo! It has arrived and all I can say is that it is sooo cool. It looks great and it performs very well. I havent tried using the s-vhs output for watching dvd on my tv, but I have tried watching dvd on the notebook and it is very smooth

So far this is a very recommendable notebook!
                System:
                AMD Thunderbird 800
                Matrox g400 MAX pd 6.51
                IBM 13.5 GB 7200 hdd
                Pioneer 106-s dvdrom
                WinME
                directx 8.0a
                384mb pc133

Comment

My wife's Inspiron 8000 arrived yesterday. It's huge!!! 15.1" TFT display and built like a brick. It should last quite awhile.

I haven't got to play with it much but appears that everything is working well.

Paul
                  "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

have you looked at the fujitsu website they seem to have some good notebooks there at a reasonable price and use ATi chips in their E series, no experience myself but Fujitsu is a good company from the various experiences ive had with them
                    just giving you options and bringing down the price of this thread

------------------
                    MSI K7TPro2 Duron 750@900
                    256Ram G400DH32mb
                    Pioneer SCSI 16xDVD
                    DFI NFIIUltra 400
                    756Ram ATI 9550 256mem
                    Lite-On DVDR/RW/DL
                    Windows XP pro
                    msn messenger id: gchisel
                    Be aware that a halo has to fall only a few inches to be a noose

Comment

Ok now I have my nice and shiny new notebook with a P3-700 processor, and I have read something about a Speedstep Applet that some people use to control the speedstep technology. I have not seen this utility mentioned in the manual and am curious. Should I use it????

Jesper
                      System:
                      AMD Thunderbird 800
                      Matrox g400 MAX pd 6.51
                      IBM 13.5 GB 7200 hdd
                      Pioneer 106-s dvdrom
                      WinME
                      directx 8.0a
                      384mb pc133