X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

OH YEAH!!!!

Comment

rambus is quite a good memory technology.
        I think faster P4's with a larger caches(512k) will kick arse, the larger cache should help compensate for the high latencies.
        But it is way too exspensive.
        I'll stick to sdram for the next year or 2.

RAMBUS not good for gaming?, I do believe the Playstation 2 uses rambus ;-)

Comment

They use RDRAM because in their specific configuration, it is cheap. I don't think the P4's will ever kick ass, they'll kick the bucket when everybody releases better chips. Larger cache? That die is huge as it is.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

P4 is due to be released on a smaller die soonish(should have room for a larger cache). P4 is at the beginning of its life cycle, when they start getting over 2 Gig or so they may actually make some use of the memory bandwidth(not to mention software optimisation).

But...I have a duron 750 running at 980(7*140), and my next processor will be an AMD (palmino,512k cache version if they ever release one). So I am not a intel junkie but I do think by next year the new P4's will certainly start comming of age.

[This message has been edited by Marshmallowman (edited 05 May 2001).]

Comment

I just think they're bad tech. They may "come of age", but to me, that's like owning the best Yugo ever made. There will be plenty of competition out there, and I don't think the P4 can keep up.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
              X