Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soundcard/girlfriend problem. Please help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nehal,
    I can't see your sig. It's broken, just like mine.

Also, 95B is not built to use features like SSE. The code is old, and MS is letting it stay old.

For those of you pushing W2K: I haven't switched largely because of the problems people are having with Live! cards. Are the digital out and AC3 fixed yet?
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by nehalmistry
      Yes, this thread is old, but since you brought it up again, i'll point out WDM is only available for windows 2k/ME sound system... not for 98se.....

i give u permission to smack yourself on forehead now!
      hehe, i got mine working on win 98se. yes, you may now smack YOURself on the head

Comment

antc101: hehe ok, let's not start up again

wombat: basically 30 HD, 128 ram, cel. II 733... yeh, its a little new for 95

yep i just found ntcompatible yesterday...

hmm, maybe u guys are right.... i'll resize/create partitions and put win2k on it... at least MS doesn't restrict you from doing anything on w2k (well they shouldn't it's a powerful OS)
        <font size="1">Gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X MoBo
        VIA Apollo Pro 133a (694x/686A) chipset (4x agp, UDMA 66)
        Celeron II 733 CPU (coppermine 128)
        128meg (2x64) 133mhz SDRam
        Matrox Milleniumm G200 AGP 16 mb
        Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital model 0100 (MP3+, Gamer)
        Quantum LM 30 gig HD 7200 RPM UDMA 66
        Realtek 8029A NIC Card
        Optiquest V775 17" Monitor
        Actima 36X CD-Rom
        Advansys 510 SCSI Card (ISA, but good enuf for my burner)
        Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
        Windows 2000 (primary)
        Slackware Linux 9.0(secondary/emergency)</font>

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
          nehal,
          I can't see your sig. It's broken, just like mine.

Also, 95B is not built to use features like SSE. The code is old, and MS is letting it stay old.

For those of you pushing W2K: I haven't switched largely because of the problems people are having with Live! cards. Are the digital out and AC3 fixed yet?
          SP/DIF throughput has been fixed in SP2 by MS and in a recent driver pack by Creative Labs.

But I'm going to get rid of my Live! anyway, 'cause you will still get occasional stutter when you scroll in IE5 and such. Also, 4 Speaker output in WinDVD won't work (but it will when using the WinDVD DirectShow filters in WMP 6.4.... weird!) Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, here we come!

Comment

what's wrong with Windows95B, i mean yes it's old, but does that mean it's time for a change... not really.... i mean it works with all hardware, all software... you need an update here and there... but i have them all neatly organized, so whenever i need to reinstall windows, everything is there......

To tell you the truth, i don't see any advantage of using 98/ME over 95B...

maybe games run faster... but the only 3d game i play is Half-Life, which runs fairly fast on my system...... and 95 is stable...

thats what i think...
            Win95 doesn't support SSE instructions such as MMX, SSE, SSEII, 3DNow!, etc. Win98 and up do.

Win95 doesn't properly support the AGP slot. Win98 and up do.

Win95 doesn't properly do USB. Win98 and up do.

I run win2k on my main system and it's been up continuously for the past month with no reboot. Still as crisp as the first minute of boot, and it works very well.

WinXP....well I know some claim it's faster than win2k, but it's just not the case unless referring to really old games that work best on win9x. With SP2, I get compatibility options that XP has, and I have been on the same install since the day 2K was released. Recovery of the OS in the event of disaster is very easy and I don't see myself going to anything else yet.

Rags

Comment

ok ok ok i've been convinced, i will install win2k today
              Realtek 8029A NIC Card
              Actima 36X CD-Rom
              Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
              Windows 2000 (primary)

Comment

antc101: hehe ok, let's not start up again
                hey I'm not starting up. I just posted that other message, went to bed, the next morning when I wake up, theres like 500 replys! I missed so much... Well, I got to sleep ya know

Antony

Comment

by the way, is "az" - the original thread starter of this post gonna say anything?

I mean, this thread is like 4 months old

Antony

Comment

FYI:

Turtle Beach has issued certified WDM Win2K/XP drivers for the Santa Cruz.

Dr. Mordrid
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Couldn't hold it back could ya Doc!
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

first of all, i just found out that windows 95 osr 2.1 supports WDM, although not as well as 98 does... (like USB and AGP support) PS, i read this somewhere...

anyway i tried both 98 and 2k, i found win 98 SE to my liking, im using that now...

as for the WDM drivers, i could not find any for my AWE 32, i found lots for SB Live... but not for AWE 32..
                        Realtek 8029A NIC Card
                        Actima 36X CD-Rom
                        Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
                        Windows 2000 (primary)

Comment

antc101
                          I havent heard anything from az in months. He joined early this year and for 6 months played an important part in these forums. Does anyone know how he is getting on?

regards MD
                          Interests include:
                          Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

dZeus:

The Santa Cruz is wonderful - unless of course you play lots of games, or run SMP in Win2k/WinXP. If you do those things, you'll notice that there is warbling in your sound effects (in games, ESPECIALLY Infinity Engine games), and clicking/popping when multiple sounds are played back in rapid succession whilst mousing around in Windows.

Oops!

- Gurm
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            If only life were as easy as you
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            If only life were as easy as you
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

ah well... but I estimate the chance that those problems will be fixed by new drivers will be bigger than Creative fixing the Live! drivers (if the problems with the live aren't partially hardware in the first place)

Comment

LOL, I still can't beleive how old this thread is. Mwahahahaha - brought back to life, the thread known as "Soundcard/girlfriend problem. Please help" brought back from the dead by the infamous antc101! Mwahahaha!

Antony

Comment

Working...
                                X