Monitor shopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Jim!

That just happens to be one of the models I was looking at. That and the p1460. I've heard a lot of good things about your monitors, so your monitors are on the top of my list =)

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

AZ, these monitors have excellent convergence (as close to perfect as they get) awsome sharpness/contrast without flicker. I'm hard presed to reccommend a competing product, especially at for $$
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Thanx Greebe - it's just that I've never heard of them before, and their design reminds me of no-name products (no offense, GoSharks, since you aim at the business and not the home user, a flashy design isn't necessary and would maybe even hinder sales, and your good prices would maybe be gone, too, I know - but I'm a home user ).

I think I'll give munich a call

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Most people haven't... I was just lucky enough to have used them at work eons ago and when this 50/95 (several years ago now) it was a must have!

I don't reccommend anything unless it meets my high standards. I think you'll be very pleased
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

AZ

The Sony G420 is a good product. I will never put my competition down. If you would like to see a side by side specification comparison, I have put together a monitor product selector on my site that I think you will find quite useful. You will find it at the following link.

http://www.monitorsdirect.com/shoppi...selector.shtml

Jim

Jim at http://www.monitorsdirect.com

Comment

I really like my 420. However, I had to get 5 of them. The first 4 had some issues with color on one edge or another. I think outpost.com must have stored them near a magnet or something. But this 5th one is pretty. Colors are bright and consistant. Trinitron gives you a really bright white, and the lines don't bother me at all. The geometry controls are very good. If I buy another monitor, I may get the 520, or maybe one of these pretty Cornerstones. Whatever it is, I'm hooked on flat screens now though.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Say Jim, I have a question for you. Does Cornerstone produce a 16x9 aspect ratio monitor? If not, is there any interest in producing one? I would like one to view 720p/1080i HDTV as well as perform GUI desktop work. A tilt 16x9 would be even better but that may be difficult on a larger monitor. BTW, nice hint on the product selector: It picked the Hitachi CM810 and Cornerstone p1700 based on my initial query.
                <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Wombat: I've heard of QA issues qith the G420's... most people complained about its sharpness though, and many of them had to get several of them - and this is in germany, so it's not a local problem or limited to one retailer.

I have a question though, since the Cornerstones use shadow masks: I'm used to an aperture grille (DiamondTron, in a four-year-old Iiyama Vision Master Pro 17), and I have no problem with the horizontal lines, but will a monitor with a shadow mask give me the brilliant colors I'm used to? On your site it says that shadow masks don't give that great colors, so I'm a little concerned...

AZ

Comment

AZ, yes. I had a Iiyama Vision Pro 17" myself (until it's crt was trashed by a friend whom banged it into a door frame trashing the grill) and this one (50/95) is every bit if not better than it was.

Comment

xortam

Sony has a very nice movie format monitor,the GDMFW900 see the following link.

http://shop.monitorsdirect.com/product.asp?sku=1601435

Note the price tag.

You may want to consider the SGI 16 x 10 LCD TFT display, I cannot remember the exact Model, somthing like SW1600.

Usually I cannot / will not comment on future products but in this case I will say we have no plans on producing a 16 x 9 monitor anytime soon.

Jim

Jim at http://www.monitorsdirect.com

Comment

Thanks Jim. The Sony price is higher than I like but about what I expect. I'll check it out further. I checked out the SGI display a year and a half ago when I first started looking at getting a monitor to tie me over waiting for RPTVs to improve and reduce in price. One of the problems with the SGI was its lacking of scaling: Another concern was its lock-in with the Number 9 video card (don't know if that's still the case) and generally poor support for gaming. The RPTVs (in my size/needs) have since dropped from $6K plus to $4500 and have improved greatly. I also considered a FPTV but my room isn't quite large enough to easily accommodate a good HDTV quality projector. The problem with the projection TVs is 1) lamp life and 2) burn-in when viewing 4x3 material on a 16x9 display. A monitor would really help on these accounts when its just one person watching and also its handy to have a monitor when controlling your HTPC (also useful for interactive TV). Starting off with a large plasma or monitor was allowing me to put off the RPTV acquisition and I'd still have uses it for it later. People on the digital frontier of convergence technology have to come up with many home-spun solutions. I'm looking forward to seeing more manufactures support this new market.
                        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Thank you Greebe

It's still a month or so, but I'll try and look for Cornerstone

AZ

Comment

http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum3/HTML/003451.html

Joel
                            Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                            Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

I was wondering if that was the same wide screen monitor that Paul had. How's that been working for you Paul? Tried any HDTV? I haven't checked if the scanning frequency is high enough for 720p.

Comment

Working...
                              X