Process priority

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Process priority

If i set genome@home at normal process priority while i do a defrag with O&O, genome will take 99% of the CPU and it will defrag about at 1/2 of the normal defrag speed. If i set it at Below normal, it still take 99% of the CPU, but the defrag goes 2x faster. Is this a normal behavior?

If i do the same thing with a game let's say Tribes 2. Tribes will take 30% of the CPU and the framerate won't be that good... would'nt there be a way to give 'em both 50% of the CPU?

Spazm
    P3-667@810 retail, Asus CUSL2-C, 2*128 mb PC-133(generic), G400DH 16mb, SBLive value, HollyWood+, 1*Realtek 8029(AS) and 1*Realtek 8039C, Quantum 30g, Pioneer DVD-115f

Maybe tribes just performs at 30% with half the available processor time

The solution is easy: set the Seti process priority to idle. That way it will never 'steal' clockcycles from any other process (except other 'idle' processes).

Comment

Yeah... but dooing that will dedicate the CPU to tribes. Maybe there's just no way to split 50/50 to those 2 app.

Spazm
      P3-667@810 retail, Asus CUSL2-C, 2*128 mb PC-133(generic), G400DH 16mb, SBLive value, HollyWood+, 1*Realtek 8029(AS) and 1*Realtek 8039C, Quantum 30g, Pioneer DVD-115f

Comment

As far as I know... (Which sometimes is less than it seems) There is no way to set how much utilization in percentage a program can use.

Its would be an interesting concept to attempt to program... but it might be hard to code around the current priority style process handling.

Maybe if you could throttle the CPU at 50% utilization (with background processes) and isolate the rest of the time under a seperate process that uses the rest.

Only problem being that the CPU only has one pipeline on timeshare (*Guestimate.. probably not 100% correct*)

If you could somehow control the timesharing aspect of it and take every second chunk and dedicate that to your program it might work.. but I am guessing that you will have a high performance hit and experiance alot of chunkiness...
        AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
        AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
        Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
        Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Simply play with the relative priorities of your processes until you get the mix you like. Defragmentation is an I/O intensive task so it will never consume too much CPU time. You probably saw an improvement in defrag times by bumping the priority above genome because it was now getting the CPU at the critical moments to maximize its throughput while still not affecting genome because Defrag quickly released the processor.
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
          X