No announcement yet.

Is there a better Defragment Program?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Defrag is a free tool for win 95/98/me, however it uses the standard windows defragger. It just makes it do a better job.

Comment

I never got Diskeeper working on my Win2K machine. Always reported that it couldn't connect to the Diskeeper service, yet it is running according to the Task Manager and Services under Computer Management. Never heard of O&O but I'll give it a try.

Comment

I've tried both Diskkeeper, Speeddisk and O&O in Win2k... the diskkeeper service slowed down disk transfer rates to 1.5MBps , Speeddisk was reasonable, and O&O was very fast and efficient... so O&O was the one to keep for me

Comment

have you tried norton speed disk which is part of norton utilities?
          about x10 faster than windos defrag!

Comment

Yea, I saw it later,sorry, severe lack of sleep I have ME anyway and its for 2k. LOL what a mess
            AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Why are people running WinMe instead of win2k? I will never comprehend that reasoning

Rags

Comment

Hell, I could never figure out why somebody would run WinMe rather than Win98 or Win98SE. AFA W2K, not everybody wants to spend the bucks to get it or they don't have the HW to support it. If you can afford it, have the HW, and have the app support, then what ya waiting for?
                <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

It usualy has something with the need of having the absolute newest.

I have heard 2 mile explanations on why winme is better than w9x or w2k,
                  "It's true 32bit and no dos"
                  "Its new so it has less bugs"
                  "It's better that w2k because it's newer"
                  "it finds the drivers for obscure X card itself on the cdrom"
                  "it looks nicer"

And so on...

Microsoft Has turned Nvidia on us:

A new OS every 6 months!
                  And a late release every year!

It is iritating that WinXP is coming this year, it's pure Hell with all these Office versions.
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

buy I heard WinXP would be better for harware compat then 2k. no?

Comment

I d/l O&O defrag, but cant get it to work on the NTFS partition. On the FAT32 it works like a charm, very fast.
                      But everytime i try to defrag the NTFS partition, it analyzes the drive, and then the CPU goes to 100%, and then nothing. I got it to work ONCE, i *think* i restarted the O&O service, but havent had any luck since, even restarting the service and such. It says it cant connect to the service, 30000 ms timeout ...

Liquid Snake, try it and tell me, it seems you are having the same problems with Diskkeeper i`m having with O&O ...

------------------
                      Seth, are you ok ?
                      I`m peachy, Kate. The world is my oyster.
                      Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

Hmm. Actually, O&O worked with zero problems for me. Defragged without a problem. Maybe try reinstalling it?

Comment

Actually, i allready tried that.

One thing though, O&O DOES defragment SPACE on the NTFS partition. It does not defragment and rearange by Name or Date.

------------------
                          Seth, are you ok ?
                          I`m peachy, Kate. The world is my oyster.
                          Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

It just takes O&O a long time to figure out its plan for name/date defragmanting.

Comment

I just tryed VOpt defrag for 95/98/ME on my brother's comp and it's really good. I'd compare this one to O&O for NT... so if someone looks for a good defrag for those OS try it.... it's free for 30 days. I can't remember where i took it, but i still have the file if someone is interested.

Spazm
                              P3-667@810 retail, Asus CUSL2-C, 2*128 mb PC-133(generic), G400DH 16mb, SBLive value, HollyWood+, 1*Realtek 8029(AS) and 1*Realtek 8039C, Quantum 30g, Pioneer DVD-115f

Comment

Working...
                              X