Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xortam:

Your atitude leaves much for granted...

I want to use something else that IE that has on numerouse ocaisons killed my OS/online session.
    For a couple of months i used IE5.? almost exclusivly and it caused worse crashes than NS, mozilla or any other browser i used since then and before that also.

There is today no alternative "windows OS" but that doesent mean that I can't use alternative browsers..

If everyone always goes with the mainstream then wed all ben using Intel systems with rambus memory in some form.

And i't would probably had the name IBM/COMPAQ/ETC ETC.

Curently I use mostly Mozilla but Some pages require that i use all thre of my installed Browsers:

Mozilla to read the info, IE to get the link to the wierd ASP download page, Netscape 4.? to get Getright to catch the file in question.

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

The last time I used Mozilla (0.9) there were on or two things broken in it so I dumped it. Netscape 6 and 6.01 was shit. Netscape 4.77 some Java and proxy server settings don't work properly. Opera is alright but isn't any quicker (Loading pages)than IE6 which I'm currently using.
      It would be nice to use something other than IE but so far as far as I'm concerned they don't cut the mustard at the present time.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Technoid:
        Xortam:

Your atitude leaves much for granted...
        </font>
        I think not. I've been doing this stuff long enough to be a realist.
        <font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">... I want to use something else that IE that has on numerouse ocaisons killed my OS/online session. ...</font>
        You more than likely have other problems with your system that are causing this. Have you tried tracking down those problems using MSFTS's knowledgebase? You may have less problems with other browsers in your particular case but you're loosing out on some functionality in IE and the browser technology built into Windows.
        <font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">... Curently I use mostly Mozilla but Some pages require that i use all thre of my installed Browsers:

Mozilla to read the info, IE to get the link to the wierd ASP download page, Netscape 4.? to get Getright to catch the file in question. ...
        </font>
        That's ludicrous!

Don't get me wrong ... I'm no fan of MSFT or their bloated products or their facade appearance of an architecture, etc. I am a fan of standards but I know that accepted implementations override various interpretations of standards.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">loosing out on some functionality in IE and the browser technology built into Windows</font>
          That Presisely one of the big points of my dislike for IE.

I dislike the idea of a webbrowser that doesnt difrentialise the internet and my computer.

My computer is not primary used for being online

And I definitly don't think that 1 in 10 pages are a reason to not use Mozilla and only use IE.

And IE takes the price in unortodox implementions of standards or nonstandards.

And belive me I searched for answers on MS pages on why IE crached and so on.
          But those times it destroed the os it was a litle bit harder as I by the time I had reinstalled it all back I had started to like the 98Lite software.

The notion about needing to use thre browsers are most becase of the fact that IE doesnt forward links to getright corectly.

Amd the most ridicilous is that the time it takes for a browser to load seems the most important.

I have gotthen errormessages stating that IE has crashed before i have even thought about starting it.

And I have also seen to many computer that has been runing windows with an erlier version of IE than 5.x gething compleatly crazy after being uppgraded to 5.xx.

If Opera or Netscape or Mozilla behaves crazy or doesn't work you can uninstall the amd reinstall, with IE your dead in the water.
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

If anyone feels the urge to slug it out on me in words becaus he/she disagrees with me they are welcome to do so in the SoapBox Forum.

Comment

That Presisely one of the big points of my dislike for IE.

I dislike the idea of a webbrowser that doesnt difrentialise the internet and my computer.

My computer is not primary used for being online
              </font>
              You're stuck with IE once you've decided to use Windows. You can choose to load additional browsers but you still have the O/S integrated browser functionality, like it or not. AFA differentiating between the internet and your computer ... wake up and smell the roses. Browsers are used for much more than accessing the WWW. A lot of applications and downloaded files contain HTML content that is viewed by some form of browser (checked your mainstream app's help files lately?). More and more of this type of data is being presented utilizing web technologies that can be viewed off-line. Windows integrates browser technology into its Explorer so you're typically using "IE" when your exploring your local file systems.
              <font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">And I definitly don't think that 1 in 10 pages are a reason to not use Mozilla and only use IE.</font>
              I'm not going to take the time to switch which browser I'm using according to what content I'm trying to access.
              <font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">And IE takes the price in unortodox implementions of standards or nonstandards.</font>
              Reread what I wrote.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">... And belive me I searched for answers on MS pages on why IE crached and so on.
              But those times it destroed the os it was a litle bit harder as I by the time I had reinstalled it all back I had started to like the 98Lite software. ...
              </font>
              I very rarely have a problem with the browser crashing; only a handful of times over a two year installation period. I've yet to have IE crash on me in my new Win98 and Win2K installations (month old).
              <font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2"> ... Amd the most ridicilous is that the time it takes for a browser to load seems the most important. ...</font>
              I bring up a browser as soon as I boot and it stays up the whole time. I don't even need to be concerned about boot times much since I only boot when SW installation requires it or the rare times when I shut down my machine.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

If anyone feels the urge to slug it out on me in words becaus he/she disagrees with me they are welcome to do so in the SoapBox Forum.</font>
                My comments are on topic and appropriate to this forum.

Comment

md, you`re right. Opera does not diplay all pages correctly. But i`ve only encountered ~10 such pages. The majority of the pages are diplayed correctly. Ever since i d/l Opera, i almost never use IE5.5. Except when i need to open a macedonian page.
                  Does anyone know how to display different codetables in Opera? I have added Macedonian as a second language, but it still doesnt use that ...
                  Back to the main thing ... Opera is very fast. Very compact. Memory usage low. Mouse gestures ... mmm ... i love Opera

------------------
                  Seth, are you ok ?
                  I`m peachy, Kate. The world is my oyster.
                  Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

Never mind. I just found out how to diplay MK pages. No need for IE now

------------------
                    Seth, are you ok ?

Comment

Plus the soapbox isn't there for flame wars.
                      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

It is not?
                        Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Oh...

So we shall have them here and now?

I have just realized that ther is no point to this discussion (the one im having with Xortam).

Xortam; do please continue to use IE if it saves your day, I on the other hand will continue to use the browser that suits my needs the most wathever name it might hawe.
                          In fact the only software that has been able to put my WK2 instalation in BSOD mode is IE.

I still encounter a shitload of computers that are not even conected to the net that has suffered from IE in on or the other form.

Wombat;
                          Sorry for turning this into a fist fight.

Comment

... Sorry for turning this into a fist fight.</font>
                            Not a fight ... just a slightly spirited discussion about the relative merits of using various browsers. You'd know it if this was a fight.

Comment

I'm kinda with Xortam here too, while I'd like Opera and Mozilla to be a better equivalent (thankfully noone has mentioned Netscape here much ), I see IE as a necessity (and not just for WindowsUpdate )

IE is nice and fast loading, and pages reasonable, plus I like the general UI...it's just nicer However, if Microsoft would even think about optimising their code it would be a breakthrough...

P.
                              Meet Jasmine.
                              flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

C`mon, Paul, change your oppinion `bout Opera. I know you want to. You just work for M$ and dont have the freedom to use anything else.

PS. If you don`t, i`ll tell everybody here about you-know-who

------------------
                                Seth, are you ok ?

Comment

Working...
                                X