Active subwoofer or new receiver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris B
    My limit for a receiver is 800$, maybe around 600$ for a subwoofer.
    For that amount of money, I'd get one of these

Denon AVR-1705

Denon AVR-1905

and

a decent sub-woofer ...

all found at www.alternate.de
    Last edited by Maggi; 12 October 2004, 13:37.
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
    LG BH10LS38
    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

I would wait. On the reciever. DVD-audio isnt sorted yet. No playback of 2 ch 24bit 192KHZ MLP through digital connection. Due to copy protection. Is down sampled to 16bit 48khz. I could be wrong though.

Copy protection compliant Firewire interfaces should be on the recievers reasonably soon. I hope.

not sure about price but this seems the cheapest with firewire.

The denon reciever does look quite good though.
      Last edited by Fluff; 12 October 2004, 15:06.

Comment

Yamaha RXV1500.. super receiver for $800. Just came out. 110wx7 and has a HUGE (500watt max draw) power supply. You used to have to buy their $1699 receiver to get this size power supply.

Comment

btw, a $1000 subwoofer would not really be overkill. It takes about that much before you can get a sub that's really good. Check out the B&W ASW675 and the Velodyne SPL1000. You will hear the difference between these and cheaper subs immediately. I own the Velodyne SPL1200 and love it.. wouldn't have settled for less.
          Last edited by KvHagedorn; 12 October 2004, 18:19.

Comment

... and don't worry about supposed "overkill" because it gives you an excuse to upgrade your other components when its time.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys

Maggi, the Denon 1905 is one of the receivers I have been considering. I also looked at the 2105.... mainly because I like the automatic configuration feature for the surround. Not sure how big a difference there is soundwise between the two, but my local dealer has a nice listening room, so that's just a question of setting aside some time. But in either case both models should be a step up from what I have now.

Fluff... I get what you're saying, but I guess this is just like computer hardware. If I'm constantly holding out for the next big thing to roll around before I buy, I'm never going to upgrade

As for the sub, apparently the general opinion seems to agree with KvH. Don't compromise! So perhaps I'd be better off going for the receiver now and then save up a bit more to get a good subwoofer.

and Xortam DOES make a very interresting point
              If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

Working...
              X