No announcement yet.

Power strip that goes in the stereo rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, the science of scientism, I love it. Everything has to 100% scientific or it's BS

Nowhere, I've gone through this arguement a hundred times with a dozen different people. I can already tell that we will never see eye to eye on it. Music is an art, audiophilia is the science used to reproduce music with the least amount of imperfections versus listening to it live. The problem people like you fail to realize is that art and science mix about as well as oil and water, which isn't very well last time I checked. Everything must be backed up with some sort of scientific looking thing so you can scrutinize it and tell people like me that we're full of $#!* in a scientific way, which in your mind makes you more right.

Back to the wine example. There is science behind the making of the wine, but even the best science can't make a great wine. It can help, but in the end it's the wine maker's experience and tastebuds that decide what wine is good. No matter what kind of flavour analysis you do, it don't matter unless the taster likes the wine. Science and art. Audio is the same.

People who presumably know something about science build the component. People hook up the component and give it a listening to and judge whether said component is worth the price they paid. End of story. No measurement can tell someone whether they like what they hear or not. Science and art.

Back to your retort about my experiment. I wasn't out to prove anything to anyone, still aren't, so I apologize that I didn't keep a lab book. If you read what I wrote I said:
    because I didn't tell them I changed anything, just waited to see if they discovered the changed on their own.
    Now if that's not a blind enough test for you, then you need to serious go back to school and learn a little more about Mr. Scientific Method.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

No, you don't get it, it's not mixing, I'm not trying to do it at all. Music itself, as art, is a completelly separate subject than preserving/reproduction of music. And your wine example is totally flawed. I'm not discussing using scientific method to "produce wine", but using scientific method "to determine which wine tastes better for humans, if at all".
      Better and easiest analogy would be with a photography: artism of it and technical details are different thing (unless of course you use technical niuanses to achieve some effect, but that doesn't make the result "better")

People who presumably know something about science build the component.
      You know that's in large part wishfull thinking in audiophile market, right?

Art is in music itself. Science is in equipment. You seem to mix art into equipment...
      Basically, you're saying (or I have such impression) that you won't care if something is affected by placebo or not (determinig this is the main purpose for existence of ABX!) if you enjoy it. In other words, you don't care if some component truly positively affects the sound, as long as you believe it does...

And your "blind testing" wasn't a experiment...at least not in scientific language. Did you read my story about kids and mothers? You didn't have to tell anything to your friends to affect them...especially since you "just waited" untill they'll discover it once.
      And you are trying to prove something if you'll still argue in such way with what I've wrote - namely that the point of view which I partly share is wrong...
      Prove it, or drop it.

Comment

You are the one not understanding the analogy

These arguements never do go anywhere.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

The placebo effect is a scientifically proven method for improving the perceived quality of many types of subjective stimuli.

Nowhere, do you claim that products like these don't work?
          Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 30 September 2005, 15:54.

Comment

So, the Belkin or the Monster cable?
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Do you want something that looks good from the front too, or just from the back to tidy things up? If it's the latter regular old rack mount power strip would seem much more practical.

Comment

I want both I've decided on the Monster Power HTS 2600 Mark II. Why? Because it looks good and I can get it cheap on ebay
                Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                  You are the one not understanding the analogy

These arguements never do go anywhere.
                  I suspect you don't realize how complex any analogy must be...because of complexitness of the subject. I don't understand for example why you're delusional into thinking that I want to make "scientific" all aspects of music experience...that I do some kind of revisionism. I simply fallow scientific methodology...where its place is, and in other places - who cares about it. Does it challenges your believes to a point where you think that I have you as some kind of totally unthinking conformist to established beliefs?...I simply want balance, I don't object every flavour of subjectivity (in fact, it's one of the most important things that drive me...)

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
                  The placebo effect is a scientifically proven method for improving the perceived quality of many types of subjective stimuli.
                  Last edited by Nowhere; 2 October 2005, 04:19.

Comment

I really love this site: http://www.tnt-audio.com/int.html
                    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Working...
                    X