No announcement yet.

Disappointment (for me) with OpenGL Final ICD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Word around the descentbb seems to be that Outrage (makers of Descent 3) got tired of trying to support sub-standerd drivers on such a large number of 3d chipsets, and just gave up trying to optimize for it.
    Outrage's suggestion: use directx. (I know, it's not a great thing to think about, but if you love the game as much as I do, it's worth it.)
    Tilable Desktop Backgrounds, perfect for DualHead: http://bg.rifetech.com/

Comment

That is correct, I have sent messages about problems to outrage, and they have all but told me that direct 3d is the only way to get any kind of complete gameplay out of their games...no matter what card you are running. OGL is just there for extended compatibility.
      Matt

Comment

It's not hard to beleive...Descent 3 will also be adding EMBM in a patch sometime. EMBM only works in D3D. Seems game makers just want to be able to say they support it, even though they barely do. Unreal. Tribes. They're the same way. They day "Yes, we have OGL", but when you get there, it sux...just have to face it...D3D is the API the game industry is swinging to. Only ID is steadfast in using OGL for the Quake titles (and their few licencees).
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
        X