Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Powerdesk 5.13.020 install notes !! Important !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My installations don't ask all those questions. I get the option to put a check in one box, it copies files for an instant then is finished.

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Hey guys,

I know, I know, I said that I wasn't going to be here for a while, but I had some problems installing the PD5 drivers. I have fixed all of the problems so far, so I thought that I would stop by and see if anyone needed some help. It seems I was right to do so.

Now I don't know if this will help any of you, but is sure did help me. Follow the steps that Kruzin has laid out to a "T". Add this in however: If you are using MOC, or had been using MOC with the G200 prior to install of the PD5 drivers, try this. Unistall it completely. Then, go into the registry and find anything that has MOC as the heading. Delete it all, including the header. Then, re-install PD5 as per previous instructions and presto (I hope).

Oh, one other thing. Don't bother looking for the Matrox Properties display in the control panel, it just ain't there. You can access everthing you need from Display Properties in the contol panel by going to "Advanced" in the setup tab.

Hope this helps!

Cmag

P.S. Paul, make sure that when you unistall PD5 again, to take the same steps you did uninstalling PD4. I know you probably have, just thought I'd check.

[This message has been edited by Cmag (edited 07-01-99).]
      Consequences smonsequences, as long as I’m rich

Comment

after uninstalling 4.51 and moc i couldnt seem to get all of the old driver off my system. tried kruzin's tips in safe mode, registry, no go. finally deleted, formatted c drive, reinstalled w98 and it runs like a top. kind of a lot of hoops to jump thru to get new video drivers, but id been waiting quite a while for them so i figured WTF. actually spent more time trying to get rid of all of 4.51 than totally redoing c drive anyway. in closing if you are having lots of trouble you might consider this as an option.

Comment

Hey Guys and Gals,

Because it seems that so many are having problems with this version I thought I would give it a try myself. I first uninstalled my G400 drivers followin Kruzin's instructions, except I substituted G400 for G200, reseting the system back to standard VGA. At that point I shut down the system, removed the G400 and installed the G200. Upon boot up the system indicated that it detected a standard VGA PCI video card. I allowed it to load the Windows default drivers for it and then allowed it to restart. I then reinstalled the 4.51 drivers. Everything work as it did before. I then again followed Kruzin's instruction to the letter removing anything from the hard drive or the registry that started with the following: Matrox, MGA, G200. Rebooted and then ran the setup for the 5.13 drivers. Reconfigured my monitor settings and turned VSync off. The machine is running fine and in my Q2 timedemo benchmarks I have seen increases as high as 32.65%. I will agree with Cmag, make sure you have no overclockers running until after getting the drivers setup. Good luck.

Joel
          Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
          Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

I'm screwed right?

I know Video Tools doesn't work with the new drivers. I haven't found it clearly stated anywhere, so I ask: Does this mean I can't use any other video editing stuff either(Ulead/Vid Cap, etc)?

I'm one of those guys who needs their OGL for Tribes, but needs video editing capabilities a lot more. Oh well...

Comment

Well I've had enough fun. I'm finally back to the 4.51 drivers. I'm not going to reformat just for this. Don't understand why I can load any of the old drivers but not the new one. Enough time wasted.

Paul
              "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

What resolution are you running your desktop at joel?

Comment

Finally, a set of graphics drivers for the hardcore PC generation! I recall the last time a graphics card had me wrestle with its drivers: it was an s3 ViRGE waaaaay back in 1996! Personally I don't mind much ;->
                  By the way, I'm using Powerstrip to o/c the G200 core, will I have any trouble with the new drivers?

PII300 o/c at 450 (4,5x100),Elite 6PBX-A+
                  128MB SDRAM Micron,MGA-G200 8MB o/c at 120 + Voodoo2 12MB o/c at 95,SB128PCI,Quantum Fireball EX 10,2

------------------
                  ---NARAYAN---
                  Currently powered by:
                  P3 600EB@700, Matrox G400 32MB DH, QDI Advance 9, 128MB PC133 Goldstar

Comment

800x600x16bit with a refresh rate of 110Hz.

Joel
                    Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                    Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

I also had a quick go last night with these drivers to see if I can work out where things are going wrong...
                      My second machine has had my G200 since I got my G400 a few weeks back and has been running happy(ish) with v4.51 and iCD Beta2. I wiped out 4.51 and b2 myself but basically the same way as Kruzin said, apart from I didn't bother going to the lengths of deleting files. Installed This new build, and all is fine. Q3TEST works fine, Quake2 works fine, 3dmark99 works, and I also tried NFS:HS demo, which worked lovely. This is on an ABIT BX6 (r1), Celery300@464, 128mb, MillG200 (non OCed) etc etc.

So, sorry folks, but at the moment, I can't work out where it is going wrong for you lot. I'll try and break it later on...

------------------
                      Cheers,
                      Steve
                      It's Only A Graphics Card!
                      (But a damn good 'un!)

Comment

Having followed Kruzin's instructions, the new drivers installed successfully (although I did get a black "Windows protection error" mandatory reboot once when I was due to reboot anyway.

Everything looks fine on my 8Mb Mill G200 except for some redraw problems at 1280x1024 (32-bit colour). Even Q3Test works!

The redraw problems occur sometimes when windows are closed - instead of redrawing the layer beneath, it leaves 'noise' pixels. (I'm sure there's some technical name for that).

Overall, I think I'll live with it though until either a fix or my G400MAX arrives!

Tim

Comment

Hi guys,

I just installed PD5 serveral hours ago, but I didn't see any difference while playing Quake and Unreal. (maybe even slower )

Then I ran Final Reality test, guess what? the Bus Transfer Rate was only the 1/3 of 4.33. I just don't know why.

The worst is: I even couldn't find any entrance to un-install PD5. (is it just like the way to un-intsall PD4?)

Regards,

Robin

[This message has been edited by redneterp (edited 07-02-99).]

Comment

Hello again,
                            I've installed the new PD, here's what I've noticed so far:
                            1) Direct3D is somewhat slower than it was before. On 3D Mark 99 MAX I used to get 2500 3D Marks but now that has sliped down to 2380, and Final Reality scores are really down
                            2) OpenGL is implemented, but not as good as some third party OpenGL drivers for the G200 (GLSetup comes to mind)
                            3) The card now seems somehow less stable to overclocking - I had to run at 112,5 core
                            Does anyone have something positive to say about the new PD release?
                            Currently powered by:
                            P3 600EB@700, Matrox G400 32MB DH, QDI Advance 9, 128MB PC133 Goldstar

Comment

Joel, TheMorg, well, it looks like 1280/32bpp is well and truly broken. 16bpp is better, but I still get some cursor redraw problems in IE. Aren't the beta testers checking all resolution/bit depths combinations?

Comment

Duh...hyuk...what's a resolution? We're supposed to check those?

I think you could report a problem without taking a stab at the beta boiz.

1280x1024 is my standard desktop resolution, both in 32bit and 16bit at times. I have not seen the problem described happen a single time on my G200. At the moment, I am running the same drivers you are, which I got from the Matrox site when they where released.

[This message has been edited by Kruzin (edited 07-02-99).]
                                Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
                                X