Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Powerdesk 5.13.020 install notes !! Important !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, and sorry, but I'll just go out and buy a second screen for my G200 system so I can test above 1024x768, shall I?

My G200 system's monitor can only go up to 1024x768 and so that is all I can test at.

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve
    It's Only A Graphics Card!
    (But a damn good 'un!)

Comment

steve you have a monitor. wow i only got an old vodka bottle filled with gas and a light bulb elament.

on a side note, my desk top is becomeing a ork battle wagon. (just added a monitor swing arm for my 15" second monitor (for g400)witch hovers above my ch throttle my 19 " monitor sits on a marble slab that is 8 in above my keyboard tray. with my sub woffer placed carefully in a resessed hole cut into the desk top. to the right of my keyboard is my ch force feedback j stick and of corse screwed in to the floor i have the old trusty ch pedals. now if i could only stop hitting my head on the rear celing mounted yamaha speakers i would be in good shape, dam lost my coffee in the pile of paper on this custom made desk monstrocity. you know looking at this growing nightmare of a desk i realize i must do something to cut the wire snake's that seem to be ganging up on the losse stacks of printouts that seem to dominate every square inch of free space. i really have to stop drinking. now

------------------
      waiting for g400 to show up can be painfull.

noel

[This message has been edited by merchant2 (edited 07-02-99).]

Comment

Thanks for that lovely bit of sarcasm steve. I would expect that with a competent beta testing staff, all resolutions and bit depths would be tested by at least one person. I was asking more for information than anything else. In other words, I was wondering if maybe my usual setting had been over looked in testing. I was not trying to fault the testers. I know everyone doesn't use my settings.

Comment

I was wondering Kruzin. If you were a beta tester, and using the same version downloaded of Matrox's site,(you said something to the effect of "At the moment, I am running the same drivers you are, which I got from the Matrox site when they where released.") did you uninstall 5.13 and reinstall them? If you did, did you delete them and restore a registry? Just curios. The way my week has been, I don't want to waste my time reinstalling Windows and all my other .dll files etc.
          Thanks man.

Comment

Andrew - I'm not sure whether Kruzin did any uninstall but if he did, he probably used our uninstaller utility which will be released on Monday.

Guy - We also have an SQA dep't which tests all resolutions and color depths among other things. They did not see this problem that you are having. I was running all day today at 1280x1024@32bpp and could not see this either.

Perhaps it's system specific or monitor specific or both.

Haig

Comment

Haig

My system consists of:
              Win 98 SE
              Mill G200 2.3 BIOS/PD 5.13
              ASUS P2B-LS BIOS 1010 B3 (happened at 1009 also)
              P2 350 Retail (not over clocked)
              V2 SLI Ref Driver 2.53 (not Quake Compatible)
              Philips PnP 109S Monitor

All pretty run of the mill stuff. I've tried enabling and disabling UCSW, changing the aperture size, bus timings, etc. I'm also not the only one having the problem at 1280/32bpp.

Comment

Andrew-
                Yes, I'm a tester...I was running a later beta version of PD5 on my G200. Normaly, I would have used the uninstaller Haig mentioned, but I wanted to try it with the same thing everyone else had. So I D/Ld the drivers and did a manual uninstall (simialar to the one listed above...but not quite, since there is no uninstall in PD5). I cleared out the files mentioned, and the registry of all Matrox/mga/G200 entries I could find. From a standard VGA mode, I ran the driver setup from a temp directory. Went without a hitch. Installed first try, and has not given me any problems since... (and that's even on my POS Comcrapq machine )

------------------
                P2-350(@103*4=412), Asus P2B(1009), 128meg PC100, MillG400 32meg(PD5.20.???), CL SB Live!Value, CL PC-DVD, Mitsumi CD-R, WD UDMA 8.4&6.4 gig, (2)USR 56k(multilinked), 3Com 905B-TX, etc...

Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

...about a problem after installing PD5
                  according the instructions !
                  (provided someone reads this far down the thread)

My problem, see system specs at the end:

After going through the instructions of
                  Kruzin/Matrox to the letter, when finally
                  restarting after the PD5 installation,
                  Windows does not load anymore. It goes on until the desktop is supposed to appear, but then completely freezes with a black screen.

Safe mode works. (...and there was much rejoicing) I'm able to load "normal"
                  windows if I remove the
                  "MGA-G200 AGP -English" adapter
                  from device manager. I'm currently have
                  "standard VGA adapter" setting and windows is up and running, 640*480, but at least I'm able to do something. The question is what.

Did not dare to reinstall 4.33c drivers on top of this mess. Can I uninstall PD5 with the same uninstall method of Kruzin/Matrox, or is it better to sit and wait the for the official uninstaller. Patience is a virtue, but still... I'd like to "reset" the situation and try again, but I'm not sure about removing the PD5.

Does anyone else have this problem ?
                  Didn't appear so. I know I'm in a minority with my SS7 -board here...

One thing. I once tried SciTechSoft's GLDirect a long time ago, but I have tried to remove it the best I could. Could there be something left to mess with PD5. I still have the original opengl32.dll prior to GLDirect install.

My system:

AMD k6-2 300
                  ASUS P5A (bios 1007)
                  Millenium G200 AGP (bios 2.3)
                  128 MB RAM
                  SB 16 ISA (old, I know)
                  Hyundai 15Pro
                  Windows 98

previously had 4.33c certified drivers,
                  no ICD beta installed

Current System:

AMD K6-2 300@350
                  ASUS P5A bios v1007a
                  128 MB RAM
                  Sound Blaster 16 ISA
                  Millennium G200 8MB bios v2.6
                  4.33c certified driver
                  Hyundai DeluxScan 15 Pro
                  Windows 98
                  Ali AGP driver v1.6
                  Ali IDE driver v3.40

Comment

Hi mr Pither,

I'm having similar problems. I can't get the installation to run properly and get stuck with the 640x480 16 color resolution.

To go back to older drivers just follow the Matrox Uninstall procedure and make sure you are in (STD VGA mode) and the 4.33C or 4.51 drivers will load .

Paul

[This message has been edited by ALBPM (edited 07-03-99).]
                    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I didn't follow Kruzin's directions (didn't know about them at the time).
                      I was at bios 2.3 and dr 4.51 and all I did was ADD/REMOVE>Remove PD>said "Yes" to Complete Uninstall". After the reboot I ran the setup.exe from Explorer.
                      Everything seems fine so far. The "Readme" file that comes with these new drivers implies that all you have to do is run the setup.exe from Explorer and thats it. No removal of your present drivers. I wish they would fix that. I seem to have made the right guess. I'm sure there are a lot of newbie/inexperienced users who will just do as they are told by the Readme's instructions.

------------------
                      P2-450;256MB PC100;Asus P2B;16MB G200 Mystique 5.13,2.3; 12MB CL V2;CL SB Live(LW2); ViewSonic 17PS; 10GB Maxtor 7200RPM UDMA2;3.2GB Quantum FB ST UDMA2;CL 2X Encore;USR 5686 External Sportster V.90;Win98;DX6.1;IE5a etc.

P2-450;256MB PC100;Asus P2B (bios 1011);16MB G200 Mystique 5.52,2.6; 12MB CL Voodoo2;CL SB Live Full(LW3.0); ViewSonic 17PS-2; 10GB Maxtor 7200RPM UDMA2;3.2GB Quantum FB ST UDMA2;CL 2X Encore DVD-ROM kit;USR 5686 External Sportster V.90;Win98 SP1;DirectX 7.0a;IE5.01 etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X