BNC vs. D15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BNC vs. D15

Howdy folks, I've finally got meself a decent monitor with BNC inputs on the back, who here as experimented with 'em, is it worth forking out for the adapter cables or is the difference not worth thinking about?

For reference, I currently run at 1280x1024@85Hz, something I would hope to be able to do with the BNC's as well.

Dave K

------------------
    Celeron 300A @ 464, BH6(KG), 128MB Corsair CAS2 PC100, Voodoo3 3000(166), SBLive!Value, 4.3GB + 8.4GB Fireball CRs, 10Mb Netgear NIC, Internal ZIP100, ViewSonic PT775

Agent. Copyright © 1998-99 Agent. All rights reserved.

G'day Agent,
    I've been using a BNC on both my G200 and now my G400. The BNC will give you a sharper image at high screen resolution than the STD 15 pin DSUB will. If you are seeing any shadowing at higher resolution the BNC will usually fix it.

Paul

"Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I have a Sony 20se2, used both types of inputs, but did not see any difference. I prefer the d15 input as the monitor autodetects on it. I run at 1152x864.

I used to use the BNC inputs for my old Diamond Monster 3d only card.

The BNC cables can be pricey.

Comment

I picked up a cable with a 15-pin DSUB for the PC side and BNCs for the monitor side for $15 at a local computer show. I've seen similar prices on the 'Net. Didn't notice all that much of a difference at 1152x864, but I'm sure it will pay off when I get my MAX and start running at higher resolutions. The only downside to the BNC connectors is that there is no DDC for Plug and Play, so the monitor is no longer autodetected by Windows. With a Matrox card this isn't a big deal since Powerdesk lets you customize the monitor every which way anyway.
        Mark Veneziano

Comment

Thanks guys, well, I'm gonna buy one anyway. I've found an IE1283 spec'd cable for AU$40, which I can return if it doesn't make a difference. I hope it will.

The thing I'm finding is I've got some blurry patches at various places on the screen. It could just be the monitor, in which case it'll be going back, but I don't see that using BNCs is going to do any harm thanks again guys.
          Agent. Copyright © 1998-99 Agent. All rights reserved.

Comment

Agent:

Usually, patchy anything on the display is a problem with the monitor, or a problem with the environment surrounding the monitor. (Half-eaten bags of potato chips and drink containers more than a day old won't affect it, but magnets/unshielded speakers will!)

Good luck with the cable. It's easier to replace than the whole monitor.

Bill

------------------
            People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...

[This message has been edited by billko (edited 07-12-99).]
            People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...

Comment

Working...
            X