Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

nv10 WON'T be out before Christmas! (Read Inside)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nv10 WON'T be out before Christmas! (Read Inside)

It doesn't matter how much NV10 makes you squirm and moan, it doesn't matter how spiffy you think it will be, and it doesn't MATTER what T&L will do for Quake2 since NO CARD SUPPORTING T&L (in a useful manner) WILL BE OUT BEFORE THE YEAR 2000!

How do I know, you ask? I just do. In fact, I will make the following wager:

If ANY manufacturer makes it to market with a NEW chipset that supports T&L and/or a lot of other NEW features, I will eat my G400. Honestly. I'll even post GIFs.

That's right. If I'm wrong, I'll destroy my beloved G400 and run out and buy a new NV5000 or 3dfx Naptha or whatever the hell it is.

HOWEVER, in order for this to happen the NEW card must fulfill the following conditions:

0. It must support substantially new features. Like full T&L. Or something spiffy we haven't thought of. For it to count, we must either see major graphics improvements or major speed improvements with no loss of quality (over a G400) or both.

1. Available in quantity. This means I have to be able to wander down to my local CompUSA or Micro Center or Best Buy (I live in Boston, this shouldn't be hard) and purchase one, off the shelf, in a nice retail box.

2. Working drivers. This means a substantial number of my games have to run without crashing or major graphical anomalies. In addition, this means NO 2D glitches of any kind... otherwise the drivers are considered a failure.

3. High image quality. On my viewsonic 21" monitor I should not have to squint to see the text. This is currently ONLY the case with cards from Matrox and ATI. If nVidia, S3, or 3dfx can produce such a card, I will gladly buy it.

4. The card must cost $300 or less. This automatically disqualifies already-in-existence cards from 3D Labs.

5. It must be faster than the current crop of cards in every way, in all tests, with the new features turned on.

Ok, that's it. I don't think it can happen. And if YOU think it can happen but "not with those conditions", then you don't REALLY think it can happen either.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Yummy, can i join in this barbecue feast!

Comment

3dfx Naptha...? naptha, naptha...*where* have I heard that before...?

Hey, waitaminute..! Isn't that an inventory item in....you don't mean...you couldn't be...using your G400 to play Betrayal at Krondor???? No wonder you're willing to eat it...

Oh, the humanity....

Holly

[This message has been edited by motub (edited 07-27-99).]
      Holly

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open ended program of procreative racial deconstruction."
      -Jay Bulworth

Comment

I say we all get together and make a card that fits these requirements, just so we can watch Gurm eat a G400!!

Mmmmmm, tasty!!!!

Comment

Naptha, napalm, incendiaries all.

Anyway, I was planning on eating it raw, served up with a slathering of Vegemite. But from the looks of things nobody will win this bet (unless BitBoyz comes up out of left field to release their vapourware Glaze/Pyramid/Hexagon/Frosting 3D card).

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Hi!

I actually got the info today from my friend from Creative and he said that the NV10 will release this year for sure. He will be getting an alpha board soon. He doesn't know when the card will release in retail but he did confirm that the NV10, will release this year. COuld be November or December? I don't have to sit and think that it will or will not release but when a guy who works in a company that will release the card told me that it will release this year then it will.

Regards,
            Manoj Mahtani

Comment

First you should overclock the heck out of your G400 before you eat it. I think PCB would be better cajun style

-Wombat

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Neat the way you throw that "we must either see major graphics improvements or major speed improvements with no loss of quality (over a G400) or both" and that "must be faster than the current crop of cards in every way, in all tests, with the new features turned on". So the first is utterly subjective, and the second would only be valid if you said "its faster than the current crop with all the current features turned on". Sounds like you're setting them up so you can get out of it at any time. Nice. Are you a salesman by any chance?
                Real men don't spend 20 minutes writing a .sig

Comment

Why do Poeple believe all the hype. Cards are never as fast as they say there are nearly always late or impossible to get hold off.
                  When the NV10 does hit no doubt Matrox will be well on there way with another card.
                  You can play this game all year round it's no use worrying about the next card is going to be. Todays world anything you fit is out of date as soon as it goes in.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Manoj:

It's interesting, a person I knew at STB told me a couple months beforehand the expected release date of the TNT. Two things... number 1, he was wrong, it didn't ship until nearly 6 months after I talked to him. And number two, he warned me, and was right, that the drivers weren't ready. And guess what? The TNT drivers didn't even stay running in Windows when the card first came out. Lotsa bugs.

Narph:

It was written off the top of my head, sorry. I just don't want to lose my little bet because some idiot comes in here going "CompanyX sent me ONE board out of their advance shipment, with some unreleased super-top-secret beta drivers and look, it works!" and then when you get one you discover that not only does it not work properly, but it isn't all that fast, etc. etc.

- Gurm

Comment

I've got a suggestion:

Don't eat it... Send it to me ! I'll find a good use for it.

(like you would eat it if you lost the bet... !!!)

Comment

Sure he'd eat it. I think it's a perfectly safe bet. My question is, are you going to eat it as a main course, or grind it up and eat it with your food over a few days?

Here's you're chicken with some fresh ground pepper and a pinch of G400...

------------------
                        Andrew Gallagher - andrew@agallagher.com
                        Asus P2B-S, PII-350, 64MB PC100, 12.7GB Quantum Fireball EX ATA-33, 3.2GB IBM Deskstar3 EIDE, 2x2.1GB Quantum Atlas I UWSCSI, Toshiba 6201 SCSI CD, WangDAT SCSI, MillG200 8MB (Anxiously awaiting my G400MAX), SBLive! Retail, Win98SE

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I can't send it away to you... because if some other vendor actually comes up with a KILLER product, I will immediately become a raving loon supporter of that product, and will as such HAVE to DESTROY my G400 as a show of support for the new chipset.

- Gurm

Comment

Working...
                          X