Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

g400max , finally here BUT IT IS SOO SLOW !!!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its interesting that with all this talk about v2 sli and tnt this and that and the g400 is slower that no one has mentioned which one looks better.are you sacrificing framerate at the expense of having greater visual quality thats what matrox is all about the g400 max will perform simialar to the the tnt/2's as well as look better i have had all the cards mentioned and the v3 and can tell you that the matrox looks better and performs similar now this is not counting evbm or the fact it can really do trilinear(unlike the ugly tnt dithering affect while using trilinear).as for unreal yes its performance is not whats expected (got to me too at first)but the tnt used to be the only choice for a competator to glide and the current d3d code for unreal is biased towards the tnt for know but tim sweeny(unreal programmer likes the card)wait till the new unreal patch with much improved d3d code as well as the new matrox drivers come out.install on a clean system then compare,give the matrox a chance to compete with the fully seasoned nvidia drivers.
    although everyone could be a little more understanding around here

p.s. with heatsinks on all ram modules and a socket 370 cooler and fan on the core i can run 215/160 memory and core respectively on a
    583 celeron and it aint bad for a oem g400 vanilla.when is the last time you seen a bottom of the pile card overclock that far stable.must be using good.really im impressed with the ram.

Comment

DJ, you know as well as I do that I will help anyone out there with a problem, but I don't see any reason to cater to someone who is coming here to yank chains. He has gotten many helpful replies from different people. When I first saw this thread, I was scrolling down, thinking at first hey, someone who obviously needs help. Then I see he was offered all kinds of help, and benchmarks to go by. Then he has to go and be an ****ole about it. When you act like this, expect to get flamed. It happens to you when you post shit like this.

And DJ, I have NEVER came and posted to a thread being mean just because I feel like it.(Yeah, I know, Holly, but you are the exception ) I have never flamed you for anything that wasn't warranted. "Matrox is Ripping People Off", "Matrox Lied". Those kind of posts are sure to get State-of-The-Art-Helpfulness. I have answered many other threads of yours that were not mean, at all. Just ask around, read around, I try to help people out whenever I can, however I can. People like Tombman, and YOU make it very hard to help out people. It makes it hard to see who really needs help, and who is wasting your time.

Matt

[This message has been edited by M Ragsdale (edited 08-03-99).]

Comment

Wurm ...aehh Gurm (hehe) ...i never wanted to "brag" about my IQ , i only wanted to say that NO ONE should think that i am a complete moron ;-) btw .. 135 is NOT substandard (in fact i don´t know what it is now as i made the tests 1993) And if you really have 180 , then congratulations !
        (this is genius niveau )

Patryck2000: your q3 numbers are really good ! I think i will give the g400max a second try ;-) Where can i find g4set and the registry hacks ?

Ok, i will remove every sign of nvidia , tnt2 and powerstrip from the computer (registry included) and THEN i will test the g400max again .

Haig , i will set the AGP size to 256 in the bios ...

And yes , i used unreal version 224 ...

Haig : the drivers that were at the matrox cd completely destroyed the desktop when i tried to access the graphic menus in Windows ! Only with the new 5.13 drivers the system remained stable ! (i followed the uninstall instructions for the old matrox drivers )

FOr all my friends here : I WILL GIVE THE G400MAX A TRY AGAIN !!!!

Comment

I love these entertaining threads, they really make my workday go by quicker...

Listen to this popular 80s tune to brighten your day!

<EMBED SRC="http://web.utk.edu/~bcs/africa.mid" WIDTH="196" HEIGHT="42" AUTOSTART=True LOOP=True CONTROLLER=True>

-neo

------------------
          Asus P2B-F, 532MHZ Pentium II (4x133 at 2.4v), Global Win VEK12 hs/fan, 128MB Micron PC133, WD 7200RPM 18Gig, SB AWE 32, Creative DVD 2x, Mitsumi CDR 2x/8x, Sony Trinitron 17", Old Matrox Video Card, and a redhead with a pair of 36Cs (O/Ced to 38Cs)

[This message has been edited by neo (edited 08-03-99).]

Comment

HAIG !!!!!!!!

I think i have a SERIOUS problem with the g400max .
            I just reinstalled the g400max and new drivers but NOW the whole desktop got messed up (hardware break down!) AND I HAD TO REFLASH THE BIOS to get over it !

I still get only 20 FPS at q3testdemo1 1024*768*32Bit (all maxed out !) , and that is with a PIII527 and the g400max with 5.13 drivers !
            Unreal stays at 25 FPS at 1024*768 ! (direct3d)

Here are some numbers for you :

G200CLK Matrox MGA-G200 Optimizer Version 0.21 Beta Release
            1999(C) Copyright Matrox MGA Optimization Tools
            All Rights Reserved. May 31, 1999.

Chipsets : Matrox MGA-G400 AGP
            MGA Control Aperture : E4000000h
            Mapped Linear Address : DAF12000h

System PLL Parameters : M = 5, N = 66, P = 0, S = 3
            System PLL Clock (Fo) : 301.50 MHz
            Clock Dividers : GCLK = Fo/2.0 (150.75 MHz)
            MCLK = Fo/2.0 (150.75 MHz)
            WCLK = Fo/2.0 (150.75 MHz)

Hardware Plane Write Mask (SGRAM-only) : ENABLED
            Enhanced PCI Master Read (MRL & MRM) : ENABLED

Memory refresh counter : 46 (2945 MCLK period)

Use "G200CLK /?" for help on available options.

Please help !!!!!!

p.s.: There are no conflicts in the system menu / microsoft system info !

Comment

I may be wrong here, but I have a feeling that the MClck should be 1.5 divider? so it give 200mhz when the SClk is at 300?

Can anyone confirm this?

------------------
              Cheers,
              Steve

All sorts of crap in my messy PC underneath a messy desk.
              (ICQ: 29468849)

Comment

Tombman, I suggest that you listen carefully to the advice these guys have to offer. They do know what they are talking about, even if they sometimes don't sound like it. Several days ago I made a post asking for help with a computer that was freezing up loading Windows 98. Within 24 hours these guys gave me the solution I needed, and it now works perfectly.

Please calm down, everyone. It's not the end of the world.

I too agree that there is something wrong with your setup. Almost every benchmark I've seen puts the Matrox ahead of the TNT-2 Ultra in Direct 3D. While OpenGL performance undoubtably sucks, in theory nothing should beat it at Direct 3D.

BTW, has anyone else noticed that EVERYONE on the internet has at least a 135 IQ and is over 6 feet tall?

[This message has been edited by Jon McGarry (edited 08-03-99).]

Comment

Jon, i know you will NOT believe me but when i said that 1993 my IQ was at ~135 THIS WAS TRUE . And i am 193 cm tall ! You can think what you want but i said the truth when i was talking about me..

Oh Man , haig , matrox , help me with my max !!!!

Comment

Well, I can say I've learned one thing from this thread:

My new (on order) Celeron 466 and TNT2 Ultra card just MIGHT, *MIGHT* make Unreal playable. Piece of crap rendering engine that it has (excepting GLIDE, of course).

And a bit of advice for "tombman". When you say something like this:

"And if i WANT to behave like a little brat then i WILL DO IT , because FOR ME , it is FUN doing so !"

you should expect to be marginalized and ignored. Respond with a valid complaint or problem and you'll be much more likely to get help here.

Todd

Comment

Hi Tombman,

Steve is correct. Your dividers are all wrong unless the G200CLK is buggy.

If it isn't buggy, then you have 2 choices:

1 - Anyone with a max can send you their bios back up and see if your card comes back to normal but this would mean that 2 of you will have the same serial number. If both of you have to have your boards RMA'd for any reason, you'll run into problems with our RMA dep't.

2 - I can have your board RMA'd but you will have to explain to our RMA dep't why our dividers are all changed. It will be upto RMA if they want to charge you or not.

If G200CLK is buggy, then goto your cmos and make sure that your ECC is disabled if your bus speed is 83 or higher.

Does this help?

Haig

[This message has been edited by Haig (edited 08-03-99).]

Comment

Hey Tombman,

You were saying 135 IQ... very impressive... but it doesn't count if you are converting it like Yens to US $... you know that you need 115.5 yen to give 1 US $ ?? or in your case, 414 821 Turquish pounds to make one US $ ...?? not so impressive anymore... so why don't you simply keep you mouth shut next time... smart ass!

Comment

he wants numbers??

hmmm let's give him some...

how about that??

J.
                          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Unfortunately i cannot find g4set . The link you gave is broken , Kruzin !
                            It would be very kind of you if YOU can send me your bios file and some instructions how to flash it !
                            (i have written down MY Serial Number , so if anyone needs it somedays it should be no problem )
                            I would be happy if you can send me g4set to
                            tombman@teleweb.at

btw , i am no longer comenting on the IQ thing .....all i want now is a working g400max

p.s.: i am writing this at 640*480*256c ...shit ....damn

Comment

It would seem that GBM has not gotten all of his server woes fixed yet. So here is G4set. This does not seem to work for overclocking, but it will report the correct speeds/dividers. Just run it with no parameters.

www.xplorenet.com/~hti/g4set.exe

I can't send you my bios file.
                              a)mine is not a MAX. Won't do you much good.
                              b)it has my serial number, and I won't be passing that around
                              c)that would violate my NDA. I'v been told specifically not to send out bios or drivers files.

There is a new unified bios available from Matrox. Download this package, and you will have all the utilities and instructions you need.

http://forums.gagames.com/forums/For...ML/002552.html
                              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

tombman,
                                The G400 BIOS update is now available, click here: http://www.matrox.com/mga/drivers/bios/home2.htm

As far as G4set goes, I don't know what has happened to it, it was there last week.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                                X