No announcement yet.

Off Topic: Forum wishlist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was about to add - use an SQL database (with SP4 or higher!!!!) instead of the flat file approach to UBB.

Comment

hehe

These days thats all I program.. All my net/intranet apps are IIS applications with either Access or SQL DB's (dependant on load)..

Comment

Stez & Flangor:

Thanks for the detailed replies! I didn't know UBB was capable of so much -- now it is known webmasters just under-utilize it's power.

Can you configure it so users can reply to each message with a large icon (like in delphi) instead of going scrolling all the way to reply?

As for automatically logging on, is it possible to make it increase security for shared/public computers like the hotmail login (http://www.hotmail.com)

Is there a find feature avail?

Is the UBB postage-stamp sized reply-to window configurable too?

Useless graphics overhead in both BBSs? One can always turn off graphics in their browser.. I do like the smileys though, at least when they're not overused. Where are all the different color smileys like on other UBB boards?

Does anyone know how to BLOCK PAGE REFRESH in IE5? It would be nice to block banner ads from refreshing and mess up the UBB reply..

All in all, UBB seems like so much work to implement properly without server/username load. (Unless you really love to code and tinker around ) Delphi has so many advantages over out of the box-UBB it's ridiculous:

* you can setup a fully customized board in less than 10 minutes

* you don't have to deal with lost usernames

* great & easy user personalization/customization

* It highlights stuff you're interested in

* THE BEST THING: it keeps track of which messages you've seen and which you haven't, whether you're at home, work, or another country.

[This message has been edited by OrangeJulius (edited 08-08-99).]

Comment

Hello OJ,

To stop the banner refresh in IE5 is easy enough, just hit your stop button after the page has loaded.

Best Regards,

NotMM

Comment

Thanks MM,

I knew that trick but was looking for something a bit more automatic.

Some banners have resorted to using Java to animate because people turn off animation in IE5 -- now I've had to turn that sucker off too. Capitalism forges ahead..

Julius

PS:
            MM reminds me of Mystery Men.. Going to see that and Blair Witch soon.. :/

Comment

Webwasher will get rid of those pesky banners...and it's free
              http://www.siemens.de/servers/wwash/wwash_us.htm
              So far, it's filtered 17,568 unwanted banners for me. That's a LOT of bandwidth...

Comment

OJ: I was kidding man. I know you love your Delphi. Me thinks we had this discussion once upon a time.

Stez2: As far as SQL goes. Not everyone will have SQL on their server. I don't think GA has it. At least those of us that are hosted don't. It would be way better though.

As far as the spell checker goes. Well there is no way each person could have one. When you consider the fact there are like 4-5000 users for this forum, perhaps even more that that. That would be a boatload of space. Plus the amount of bandwidth that would be used. So I am not sure what the best way to go about this would be. You would need more than just a simple dictionary.

Well my drivers are finally downloaded. So gotta run. See ya on the flip side

------------------
                Flangor StrongAxe
                flangor@matroxusers.com
                System specs: One bourbon, one scotch and one beer

Comment

I'd really like if profiles wouldn't just disappear every now and then.
                  Today you have 400 posts, tomorrow you are a Junior Member.

Aah.. dagnabbit.
                  Well like that would matter but I'd like at least to have my old nick back. Seems like all the info wasn't lost since UBB claims that my old nick is in use, while it doesn't have any info attached to it.

B

Comment

Couldn't care less about the Junior Member/Super Poster thing everyone rants & raves about. Silly!

Thanks to whoever it was who upgraded UBB -- it's a bit quicker now and almost as good as Delphi! (Now, if the webmaster could only fix this tiny reply-to window..)

Let's see what kinda icons are available now.. :O :/ :P :| :* >

Julius

Comment

heheehe

Still it's funny to see Kruzin listed as a junior memeber - they guy has been here since Jesus was a cowboy...

I guess for the guys who really put time into this board it's a form of recognition. The amount of help I've seen offered by the regs here is outstanding, to the point where I feel they do deserve some recognition, this place would just be nothing but whinging without them to fix ppls probs..

What do you guys think of allowing senior members to have their own icon/graphic/other distinguishing mark besides their name?

James.

Comment

James, your idea of allowing senior members to have their own icon/graphic/other distinguishing mark beside their name is a great idea. However, it's only a great idea if the system doesn't crash and revert everyone to the rank of Junior Member again (as happened to me and many others ).

A high number of posts doesn't necessarily mean that some person knows any more than another, but it could be used as an indication to newbies that this particular person has at least been around the block a couple of times.

I don't spend too much time at this forum, but I am a regular contributor next door at the Desktop Video site. I know that I for one would appreciate some kind of "grading" for forum regulars.

-Patrick

Comment

I wish the server could recognize identical/double posts. And auto delete of course.

------------------
                          Slow PC, 14" Monitor, Clean desk, Windows98SE, Windows2000RC1, BeOSr4.

Comment

Working...
                          X