G400 doesn't work. Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 doesn't work. Help!

Well, I installed the latest BIOS for the G400 and then proceeded with a fresh install of Windows98 on a fresh format c: drive. I then install DX6.1 reboot and install cd drivers. (It doesn't matter if I use the latest or not) then reboot and install the utilities acrobat reader online documentation and the Tech Demo. Then resize the desktop to 1024x768 at 16bit and reboot. This is where I am stuck: I see the network login sign I hit escape and the system halts, ctrl-alt-del does nothing, I need to do a hard reboot. Before installing the video drivers I installed the stripped down version of the 3Com drivers, for my 3Com PCI NIC that uses IRQ 11, and nothing is installed yet for my SBLive! value and it is listed as 2 yellow unknown devices in Device Manager as it should- it uses IRQ 10. I specified my monitor- an old 17" Compaq 171FS in device manager also- all before installing the G400 drivers and software. But after everything is installed and if I enter a password or not the machine hangs. I have an Abit BX6 r2, Celeron 466 in a slotket, 128Mb PC100 SDRAM, SBlive! value IRQ10, 3Com PCI NIC IRQ10, G400 32Mb DualHead OEM IRQ9/sharing w/ ACPI (note: if I disable ACPI in BIOS it still hangs). USB IRQ5. What is the problem? Is the card defective? I just got it yesterday! In BIOS Aperture size is 256. I have the case open (always do) and ambient room temp is about 80 degrees. I have an Alpha heatsink on my Celeron and two fans at the bottom of my full tower Addtronics case. The PCI slot directly below the G400 is empty and PCI #2 is the NIC and #3 is the SBLive. Modem is external. What is wrong with this picture. How often are cards defective? Could I really have one. I think it is since it works after drivers installed(reboot) then after software installed and desktop resize and reboot again it dies. What is everyone's expert opinion? I could be wrong- and if so, let me know! Im just dissapointed that I finally get a 3D accelerator and it doesnt seem to work. Thank you!
    Abit BX6R2 466@525 Intel Celeron, WD 10.1Gb Matrox G400 32Mb DH, SBLive!, 3Com NIC, 256Mb PC100 SDRAM, 4Gb Tape backup, IDE internal ZIP, trusty 12x CDROM running RedHat 5.2 Linux and Windows98.

OKay I found the problem- I ripped the SBlive! and the NIC and everything is a-okay- how do I reroute?
    Abit BX6R2 466@525 Intel Celeron, WD 10.1Gb Matrox G400 32Mb DH, SBLive!, 3Com NIC, 256Mb PC100 SDRAM, 4Gb Tape backup, IDE internal ZIP, trusty 12x CDROM running RedHat 5.2 Linux and Windows98.

Comment

Install your G400 without any other PCI devices in the machine, reboot into safe mode and remove all your PCI devices from device manager. Then reboot, then uninstall any programs/drivers you have for your PCI devices, shut down. Install your NIC card and install the drivers, reboot. Shutdown and install your SB Live! and it's drivers. Reboot and you should be set to go. ACPI should be disabled all the time, and you should have your SB in your 4th slot, and the NIC in your 2nd slot. That should work.

Rags

[This message has been edited by mragsdale (edited 08-11-2999).]

[This message has been edited by mragsdale (edited 08-11-1999).]

Comment

Working...
      X