Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Additional cooling for my G400- heatsinks on memory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additional cooling for my G400- heatsinks on memory?

Can someone please explain how heatsinks work. I read that someone put small ones on their memory chips. Can you buy them small enough for this or you need to cut them out of a bigger one? I already have a nice big fan on my heatsink plus a case fan blowing in and the power supply fan blowing out. I had alot of luck with overclocking my old tnt card but i'm waiting for a better O/C utility( hate g200clk). Anyways I believe you use thermal paste. Can someone please tell me if this will cool my chips or just be a waste of time. Thx

asus p2b(1009),P3450,asus 50x,SB LIVE,128 mb pc100,G400 DH,ibm 10 gb HDD,Mitsumi CDR,iomega zip,win 98 ect..
    Asus P2b(1011),P3 500,256 mb pc133,Matrox G400 DH,Asus 50x,Iomega zip,Mitsumi CDR,Ibm 20 gb hd,Promise ultra 66 controller,Sb Live,Win 2000 pro

Update: I was just on rivazone site and there is a brand spankin new powerstrip out today with the correct support for G400. Anyone tried it yet? www.entechtaiwan.com isn't there another version that doesn't have all the excess baggage as regular powerstrip does?=======
    2.51 - 08/14/99
    Upg Validated G400 support. relaxed timings
    Revised 3dfx, Intel, Matrox, S3, NVidia, Rendition VClk
    Beefed up Blade3D support
    Fixed up Voodoo Graphics gamma
    Added Oxygen support
    Added sync-on-green for Matrox & 3Dlabs
    Added prelimary i810, SiS620 and VIA MVP4 support
    Restored SiS6326 VCLK and MCLK support
    Switched MGA D3D switches to support PD5
    Added Desktop support for DX modes
    2.51 - 06/24/99
    Validated Windows 2000 Beta3 RC1 support
    Added preliminary i752 and G400 support
    Revised Intel and MGA VClk routines
    Fixed up TNT clock support
    Added V3 custom refresh rates at up to 2046x1536
    Added undocumentated support for <60Hz refresh rates
    Enabled gamma controls by defaul

[This message has been edited by Kookstick (edited 08-14-1999).]
    Asus P2b(1011),P3 500,256 mb pc133,Matrox G400 DH,Asus 50x,Iomega zip,Mitsumi CDR,Ibm 20 gb hd,Promise ultra 66 controller,Sb Live,Win 2000 pro

Comment

Hi Kookstick,

Here's an example of what one guy did to a TNT2 Ultra as far as cooling. He did put heatsinks on the memory chips. You can also buy the cooling Hardware from him.
      www.2cooltek.com/tnt2.html

Paul

[This message has been edited by ALBPM (edited 08-15-1999).]
      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Thanks paul for your response. I couldn't get to that site. Maybe the url is not right. anyways do you know how a heatsink works? It's got me confused how attaching a piece of metal would cool things. later

Comment

The ability of an object to be cooled is dependent on three things: the temperature of the air surrounding it, the type of material, and the surface area. The idea of a heatsink is to effectively increase the surface area of the object that you are trying to cool by using a thermally conductive material with as much surface area as possible. Does this help?

Rags

Comment

That makes sense- thanks

------------------
            ASUS P2B(1010),P3 450,G400 vanilla DH,ASUS 50X,128mb PC100,Mitsumi CDR,Iomega Zip,IBM 10 HDD,SB Live,Win98

Comment

Here's the URL for his Main Site:

2cooltek.com/index.html

Paul

[This message has been edited by ALBPM (edited 08-15-1999).]
              "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Kookstick,

Add another case fan blowing out below the power supply if you can.

I had to get creative with my Enlight Mid Tower by drilling holes and building a little shroud around where the case kicks out (where the cards are screwed to the case) but it helps. Also ended up enlarging air intake holes in front of case to allow more air to enter.

Comment

ALBPM, you need a "www" in there...

www.2cooltek.com/tnt2.html

Gets a DNS error otherwise...
                  Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I might just have to try that. Do you think thermal paste or thermal tape would be best to slap those heatsinks on like that? Will it void my warranty to do this? Thanks everyone.

------------------
                    ASUS P2B(1010),P3 450,G400 vanilla DH,ASUS 50X,128mb PC100,Mitsumi CDR,Iomega Zip,IBM 10 HDD,SB Live,Win98

Comment

Hi Kookstick,

For the memory chips I'd use the tape so you can pull of the Heatsinks just in case.

Thanks, for the tip agallag

Paul

Comment

Working...
                      X