Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 & Abit BE6

Hi,

I had a problem earlier with modem & g400. That seems to be working now - if can boot past Win 98 startup screen. It just hangs at the startup screen. After several cold boots I can get in. I never had this problem before I put in the modem. What kind of IRQ problem is this which freezes at Win98 startup screen? Do IRQ numbers change with every reboot? why is it a problem sometimes and not others? Help me out if you can. Thanks.

Anisri,

Do you have a plug and pray modem (play on words)?

If so, that could be the cause. I used to own a USRobotics 33.6Windmodem that had been updated to X2, then later to V.90. That POS would cause all kinds of trouble with any system that used a Matrox video card. It wasn't Matrox's fault either. There was something in the code that would cause the system to not boot, BSOD, or other. As soon as I complained enough to 3Com they replaced it with a non-plug and play v.90 internal modem. End of problems.

If this isn't the case, please post your system configuration so that either myself or others more talented than I can give you some assistance.

------------------
    Running an ABIT BE6, PIII-450 @ 600Mhz, 128MB (128x1) PC133HSDRAM (running @ 133), Matrox Mystique G200 8MB, SBLive! Full Retail, Adaptec AHA-2940UW (Dual Channel)
    All kinds of other SCSI and ATAPI goodies....
    -------------
    Waiting for my G400Max Very Impatiently, Having already maxed system performance to give it a good home.....

Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
    - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
    - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
    - 6.1 Digital Audio
    - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
    - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
    - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
    - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
    - LS120 IDE Floppy
    - Zip 100 IDE
    - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
    - NEC FE950
    - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

up
      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

up
        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Here's my configuration.

PIII 450 @ 540MHz
          Abit BE6 @ 120MHz
          Crucial PC133 128MB
          Maxtor 6800 UltraDMA 66
          MDP7800 Modem
          Sony 5x DVD-ROM
          Sony 2x4 CDRW
          Windows 98

I am not sure if MDP6800 is a WinModem or PnP. I bought this in an auction last year for $25. I am going to get SupraExpress 56i modem next week. I hope these problems go away.

Comment

This is a new machine I just built. I put the DVD & CDRW on an IDE channel. Some people advised against two CD-ROMS on the same IDE. I had trouble copying only when I overclock the board on my previous PC. It used to get buffer underruns. I haven't burnt any CDs yet on this PC. Performance is good so far. I am happy with Sony Spressa.

Comment

Anisri,
              How is the performance of the Sony DVD+ CR-RW combo working on your machine? I am in the market for a DVD and Writer, also which IDE channel did you stick the CD's on, I found that if I put my CD on IDE1 it's ok, If I try to move it to one of the UDMA/66 channels the whole system slows down, I guess it is thunking down to UDMA/33 speed since the CD is not UDMA/66.

Comment

Up
                God damn the server ate my username

Comment

Working...
                X