G400Max was a breeze to install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400Max was a breeze to install

I wonder... why so many people had so many problems installing their G400s?

I also had a Matrox card before with Powerdesk installed and all... a simple complete uninstall (with the G400 already plugged in!) and installation of the 5.13.20 was all I had to do. No issues with anything! It's an ABIT board (BX6-2) and I've seen quite a few bad cases with ABIT users and G400...

The card was just as easy to install as my previous Mil2. And it doesn't seem to be a VERY SENSITIVE card either... could it be that those unfortunate cases are nothing but bad yields of the chip?

I haven't tried any OGL aside from Mortyt yet (I think it's OGL...) but all DX games I've tried worked wonderful!

The funniest thing is: Voodoo2 is supported by Rogue Squadron while G400 is not, right? Well, my V2 was locking up in that game about 2 minutes into the game (always no matter what) and G400 played just fine. Sure there are text artifacts in the menus, no radar, and some screwed up shadows... not something you would call a released game, but it worked flawlessly at 1280x1024 with 4 speaker sound output and at very fast frame rates too.... graphics (apart from the mentioned flaws) looks absolutely stunning...

Similar with Mortyr. V2 today runs 95% of the games at very good frame rates. But Mortyr was moving at sub 10fps for some reason (gotta be the 4MB per texture unit limitation). The graphics looked aweful and I was clueless as to why reviews were giving it a very good graphics mark. Now I know Looks damn good on G400Max.

I am extremely happy with this card, and thanks god Matrox released the specs they did so early... I was hard locked on TNT2 chipset till I saw their TechDemo MPEG I bet many here in this forum experienced similar thing.

Michael

------------------
    P2c-300a/450, 192MB PC125 SDRAM, Quantum Fireball Plus KA 18.2GB 7200rpm, Panasonic 7502B x4/x8 Ultra SCSI CD-R, Tekram DC-390U2W Ultra2Wide SCSI controller, Diamond MX300 (Vortex2), Creative Labs AWE64 Gold Sound Blaster, A-Trend Voodoo II 12MB, Matrox Millennium II 4MB (to be replaced with G400Max), 19" Hitachi SuperScan 752 and some other fancy stuff
    P2c-300a/450, 256MB PC125 SDRAM, Quantum Fireball Plus KA 18.2GB 7200rpm, Panasonic 7502B x4/x8 Ultra SCSI CD-R, Tekram DC-390U2W Ultra2Wide SCSI controller, Diamond MX300 (Vortex2), Matrox Millennium G400Max, 19" Hitachi SuperScan 752, Logitech Cordless MouseMan Wheel and some other fancy stuff

I´m glad all went well. I too have a Abit MB (the venerable BX6) and it was as easy as that.

Mortyr uses Direct3d, not OpenGl.

Enjoy your card.

Comment

Thanks, I am enjoying it greatly

I checked OGL with Quake 3 just in case... at 1024x768x32bit trilinear all maxed out with highest quality textures (STUNNING!) it is VERY smooth! I used Voodoo2 12MB before so I know when I'm talking smooth

In short, no issues in either OGL or DX that I could see so far. If it's working that is

Prince of Persia 3D demo doesn't get into the game - freezes on the menu. You can Alt-Tab and kill it but still weird. Same with MigAlley demo - never gets into the game itself... menus work fine... works on Voodoo2 though.

But the rest that I tried works like a charm. BattleZone II (very nice graphics), System Shock 2, Q3, Mortyr, Expendable. That's all I checked so far.

btw, is there any way to make Expandable work in 32bit mode? In 16bit mode no problem, but ANY 32bit resolution kicks me back to the desktop. Strange.

Also should I upgrade the bios? It's just one version below the one on the website... I don't want to waste time on this one unless there are any compatibility issues it addresses in games.

Michael

------------------
      P2c-300a/450, 192MB PC125 SDRAM, Quantum Fireball Plus KA 18.2GB 7200rpm, Panasonic 7502B x4/x8 Ultra SCSI CD-R, Tekram DC-390U2W Ultra2Wide SCSI controller, Diamond MX300 (Vortex2), Creative Labs AWE64 Gold Sound Blaster, A-Trend Voodoo II 12MB, Matrox Millennium II 4MB (to be replaced with G400Max), 19" Hitachi SuperScan 752 and some other fancy stuff
      P2c-300a/450, 256MB PC125 SDRAM, Quantum Fireball Plus KA 18.2GB 7200rpm, Panasonic 7502B x4/x8 Ultra SCSI CD-R, Tekram DC-390U2W Ultra2Wide SCSI controller, Diamond MX300 (Vortex2), Matrox Millennium G400Max, 19" Hitachi SuperScan 752, Logitech Cordless MouseMan Wheel and some other fancy stuff

Comment

I had exactly the same thing happen with expendable. Try playing around with the graphics options - I managed to get 1152 * 864 32bit colour working great.

This is a problem with Expendable - its buggy as hell, in true Rage style (and the way Rage release patches - loads of different ones - is a complete mess.

Seems to be pot luck whether the game runs or quits back to the desktop. Also, anyone find they are playing happily one minute and then find themselves staring at the desktop wondering what happened the next?!

Good luck

Smiff

Comment

I´ve played expendable (bundled version). I play it at 1024x768x32 EMBM on and I never had problems during the gameplay. Exiting the game is another story. I can´t remember one time that it hasn´t crashed on me...

Comment

EMBM works no problem. It's the 32bit resolutions that don't work... very strange. The Expandable is from the CD packaged with the card.

------------------
            P2c-300a/450, 192MB PC125 SDRAM, Quantum Fireball Plus KA 18.2GB 7200rpm, Panasonic 7502B x4/x8 Ultra SCSI CD-R, Tekram DC-390U2W Ultra2Wide SCSI controller, Diamond MX300 (Vortex2), Creative Labs AWE64 Gold Sound Blaster, A-Trend Voodoo II 12MB, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, 19" Hitachi SuperScan 752 and some other fancy stuff

Comment

Nuno

I always have trouble exiting expendable. The one thing that seems to work though is using Alt+F4 to exit the game instead of the menu system.

W.

Comment

You guys can't quit when you want to, I quit when I don't !! Sort it out RAGE

Smiff

Comment

eheh, strange but kinda funny. Damn coders.

Hey, I´ll try that Alt+F4. I was used to reset the pc after playing expendable, I just simply didn´t care anymore about exiting it...

Comment

to the new forum

Comment

Working...
                    X