What's the use of AGP2x??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the use of AGP2x??

Hi, because i had strange lockups, i had to force AGP1x. that solved my problems, but my system isn't any slower because of this.

Why should i prefer AGP2x (or even 4x) then????

isn't it that the AGP speed indicates the speed from your AGP-card to your system memory? If it is, data will only be frequent transferred if your AGP-card runs out of memory. And with the trend of vidcards having more and more memory why the AGP speed should be faster?

I really can't see the diff in speed (even halflife runs same at 1024x786) on my system when forced AGP1x or AGP2x.

Could someone make this clear please?

Dan.

-------
    Cel300a@464, Abit BX6,128mb ,G400MAX

With AGP2x it is theoretical possible to transfer data with the doubled speed of AGP1x without increasing the clock rate. This is possible because AGP2x uses both flanks of the clock signal. afaik the 1x transfer rate is up to 250MB/s while 2x goes up to 500MB/s. And that's the reason why you don't recognize any differences in speed. No part in your system can transfer this amount of data for a longer period, only data in any caches could be transferred at this speed.

Helmchen

Comment

Right, and 2X refers to the side band addressing of the AGP slot (the one that swaps textures in and out of memory on DMA AGP, and reads and executes textures through DiME) This does not affect the thoroughput of the card's interface to the CPU. So the only time you will notice a performance gain is when the amount of textures your card needs to render a scene does not fit into the onboard memory, thus it has to store it in the system memory.

Rags

------------------
      Some people call me the Space Cowboy.....

Comment

ragsdale.. that's my point..
        The g400 has 32mb onboard memory.. the next gen vidcards will undoubtly have 64mb.

Why should i want higher AGP speeds then, if there are no such programs that will need more ram than there's on the vidcard. (With programs i mean games in first place, for real intensive 3d rendering i could understand, but you'll won't do that on a 'home' videocard).

Dan.

Comment

It's part of Intel's marketing strategy.
          It's like they invent car tires that can handle speeds in excess of 500MPH. The customer will be amazed and will feel the need to upgrade his 100MPH car to a newer (again) 100MPH car, equipped with 500MPH tires.

All you have to do is wait for someone else to build a 500MPH engine

[This message has been edited by Scytale (edited 08-30-1999).]
          P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

danfoss..
            You figured out what many of us have been saying since the G200 would not do 2x on most SS7 boards.

It simply doesn't matter with todays games, and 99.9% of real apps. The software industry is just now starting to use larger textures in a few titles - mostly thanks to 3DFX continuing to hold everyone back with their no-agp, small-texture-only cards. And even the titles that are starting to use larger textures, are not large enough to fill the 32meg of the G400. Only a few games out there now will even use the full 8 meg of the G200.

So, basically - anyone who can't get 2x transfers shouldn't sweat it. It's not affecting the real performace of your card at all...

Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Hi guys:

I have a 16M DH card. It is going to be enough for gaming until my next upgrade (probably a year down the road) with the 16M memory??

I don't play 1st-person-shooter.....more on auto-sim and sport games/RTS.

GTI.

Comment

GTI, you most likely will never notice the difference with your card. Maybe towards the end of that one year period, games will be just starting to come out that require more, but you'll be ready to upgrade by then. Most games are still being written to run on 16MB TNTs and Voodoos as a maximum, and they all support as little as a 4MB Rage Pro. That wont change until a significant percentage of the market has the newer bigger cards.
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Thanks everyone for this info. Here I am, coming so close to dumping my Mill G200 because it won't do 2X transfers on my SS7 board.

Think I'll hang on to it and invest $50 to double my system ram (to 128 meg).

This will just get me to the Althon a bit quicker.
                  K6-III 400 @ 5x100, FIC VA-503+ rev 1.1a, Mill G200 16 meg SDRAM, 3 rowdy children, 5 hrs of sleep last night.

Comment

Onto the new forum.

Joel
                    Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                    Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

test

Comment

up

Comment

Working...
                        X