G400 MAX+ BH6 problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 MAX+ BH6 problems?

Maybe I just have a bad motherboard, I hope so, I know it's no bad max, I've tried 2 now, and with both I've had video corruption problems and crashing. Sometimes I just hang, other times my screen gets messed and I hang.
    Same problem with v1.3 and 1.5 bios's, and with 513 and 515 driver sets
    I always crash after a while of 1600x1200 in homeworld (amazing btw). Other times it's just intermittant from
    'everything other than homeworld' working to 'I can't boot into windows' not working.

Background info on my system: Clean install Win98se. Abit BH6 LN bios, PIII 450 CPU. All parts running at stock speeds. No conflicts in my system other than my USB sharing an IRQ with my MX300 soundcard (they like each other for some reason)

[This message has been edited by Rob Morriss (edited 08-27-1999).]

Comment

I'm sure you have read the other messages and tried forcing AGP1X?
      P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

Hi, Bh6 and G400 MAX owner just like you. Did you try the old driver from the CD? I suggest you start from those and then use the Matrox uninstaller and then try the new drivers. No problems for me anymore. I wouldn't try the 5.15 drivers though.

Comment

Hi Rob, just wondered if your Win98SE is shutting down correctly. After a fresh install of SE on my system, when I would go to shutdown, the system would "instantly" power down. Until I got it to pause at the "it's safe to turn your computer off" screen, sometimes when I would restart the system it would almost crash. Since I installed the G400, a SB Live and the Win98SE at the same time I felt it was a problem with the G400 or Live, but the system seems to be working properly now.

Comment

Yes, please try the force 1X hack. I have what sounds like identical problems (see G400MAX DOA) and applying the AGP1X hack made all my problems go away (so far). So, I presume this is a driver issue rather than a hardware problem with the Max or your mobo (I also have an Abit, but a BX6-R2). One common thread between your system and mine is that we both have PIII CPU's running on an Abit-brand mobo. <shrug> I dunno. Give it a try at 1X and let me know. Have you called Matrox? What did they say?

Cheers,
            BC
            Cheers,
            BC

Comment

Another BH6 + G400Max user here. I seem to be having no problems with lockups or anything with my mobo/vid combo. I do know that the BH6 doesn't like all of its memory slots full, so if you have filled all the slots, try removing a dimm from the last slot and running it.

------------------

Comment

Ok, wow thanks everyone. Ok, to answer a few questions, I'm only using 2 dimm slots, a 128 and a 64. I havn't tried the drivers that came on the CD, in fact, I don't think I ever installed them(doubt I was the only one who downloaded drivers ahead of time), if I get time, I'll try that, but the 513 drivers are certified, aren't they? That should mean they should work in any system, right?
                As for using AGP 1x, I don't doubt this would work. However in that case I'd like an explanation as to why and some assurance from Matrox that my $400 (cdn) card that doesn't currently work will eventaully do 4x. In the meantime, I am gonna try upgrading my BH6 to a BX6 R2 (I do hope to overclock once I get everything running stable again)
                Matrox tech support so far has only said to try to resolve IRQ conflicts, and to install the 513 drivers. But I've only really contacted them once via e-mail. I like to try a lot of things on my own before I go ask people for support (having worked in the tech support field myself I feel obligated NOT to waste yours or their time unless I am really stuck)

Personally I thought it must be heat related, locking up intermittantly a while after I started playing my game, but today I got home and turned on my computer only to hang once windows started

[This message has been edited by Rob Morriss (edited 08-28-1999).]

Comment

sorry, forgot this one..
                  Leadfoot: This is actually quite an often occurance in both win98 and SE. Not sure exactly what causes it, but I do know that some ATX power supplies turn off faster than they should. Now if you've got background programs running (or at least have a lot of junk in your regristy), windows will take longer to shutdown, circumventing this problem.

Comment

Well, I have a BX6-R2 and have the problem, so if you're expecting that to fix it I doubt it will (but if it does, I'd like to know why! ;-). Anyway, as to DIMM slots, I have 2 DIMM slots used, both 128MB DIMMs (256MB total). My Max has its own IRQ. I have the proper drivers and BIOS. Yet, it fails within minutes of bootup. Sometimes the desktop doesn't even come all the way up. Applying the AGP1X registry hack fixes everything. I left my system on all day today (12+ hours) and came back to find it functioning perfectly well. So, I really doubt it has anything at all to do with heat (it was hot here today and the temp in the house now (at 9:42 PM eastern) is well over 80 degrees F.

------------------
                    Cheers,
                    BC

Cheers,
                    BC

Comment

go read the thread in general hardware on the bh6.. spells out all of the irq issues and what not with the bh6

Comment

Rob, the G400 is only AGP4X signal/slot compatible. It's not said to run in AGP4X mode.

A fix for the AGP2X problem is in the works, so try AGP1X and wait a bit. Haig didn't mention the reason for the problem, so I wouldn't know if swapping in a BX6 will fix it for you. It may or may not have a positive effect on timings and keep you out of trouble. It won't fix the problem though.
                        P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

Instead of going to a BX6-2, I upgraded from a Celron300A to a PIII450 + an Asus P3B-F. It's got 6 PCI, which is amazing, and it seems to be a lot more stable. It's also got a jumperless OC feature, although not quite as robust at the BH6's. If you aren't going to be overclocking like crazy, why not go for an Asus? It'll give you an extra PCI slot to boot!

Comment

Pls forgive the naiive question, but who is Haig?
                            Cheers,
                            BC

Comment

Haig is da man kicking da boys at the Matrox Tech Support department.

Comment

Working...
                              X