Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I couldn't find any errors
    But I'm from Norway, so....

Anyway, I know I'm gonna have a lot of fun with my MAX I'm getting tomorra!
    And for next generation? I'll get whatever have dual-head coming up next...

Comment

Well, here it is, if anyone wants to go look. http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...item=155759760 Ridiculous eh? The bidding was at $8,300 when I was there. The Performance in 2D isnt even as good as the MAX!!! The proceeds go to charity supposedly (don't know what charity)

------------------
      Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

Well if the GeeWiz Force IS what it's reported to be and it is the best all round card when it's drivers mature, THEN I might put one in my second system and replace my Rage Fury. The Max has many goodies that are CURRENTLY the best, and I will happily enjoy these and it's many other abilities while GeForce waiters nash their teeth in anguish over "when GOD when" is my card going to come?

------------------

Comment

I agree with most of the comments above. I do think every person has there on reasons for buying a video card. I personally think that Nvidia has done a wonderful job on drivers as they always do, and I think that Matrox has really dropped the ball with the late release of the MAX. I do think that the MAX will have a strong showing with any developers and designers with it's dual head. It has some wonderful features. I think with the gamming community that the Nvidia chip and the S3 will take the show. (I have my doubts about 3DFX) But as always, time will tell the test and if Nvidia is correct we will see the GeForce on retail selves by Sept. 24. (At least that is what is posted on there web page.)

BTW - I don't believe that the boards being auctioned are beta at all. If Nvidia is really expecting to get the boards on retail selves by Sept 24, they would have to be shipping to OEM's already.

Best regards

------------------
          Jd
          Jd

Comment

Why people still believe nVidia never ceases to amaze me. Why he hell would you believe anything nVidia puts out before they're chips come out? Anyone remember the diamond TNT2 fiasco preview specs great really high, it ships OOPS specs are lower. Remeber the TNT the vaunted V2 SLI killer shipps lo and behold half the preview speeds. Why anyone in their right mind believe nVidia anymore is beyond me.

Comment

I currently own a G200. I bought it in october 1998 as part of a new system.
              Besides the lack of the OpenGL ICD after a month the TNT could be bought everywhere, which was quite a bit faster in 3D.

As a 2D card the G200 is great, as a 3D card it is rather disappointing.

I think a the loyalty that people in this forum expose towards Matrox is misplaced.
              It belongs to a time that Matrox was indeed the number one video card manufacturer, which was pre G200, with the Millenium.
              In my opinion Matrox no longer holds this top position.
              They have to deal with NVIDIA and 3DFX and until know they've taken up the competition rather clumsy.

Facing facts the G200 had a very short period it was a truely desirable product. In a 2 months for 3D it was surpassed by the TNT and not much later the V2 appeared. Also the promise of an OpenGL ICD has been fullfilled at a moment the card is already obsolete.

The G400 and G400 Max suffered both from an immature OpenGL ICD and poor distribution strategy. When it arrived it already had serious competition of the TNT2 products which were better in both fields.

Up until now the G400 Max cannot be bought in the Netherlands. Some people in this forum have waited for months to get their preordered G400.

In a month the GeForce256 will be on the shelves. This card is next gen.

My personal experience with Matrox until know had made me wait to see the first test results of it.

If it really fullfills the expectations, I think only the Beta testers of the G400 had a worthwile period with their card. I you are a consumer and forked out $250 for a card that is surpassed by a next gen product in 4-6 weeks I think you will feel at least some regret. Unless your are blinded by loyalty, but then again, it is your money.

Comment

I was VERY disapointed with my G200 and Mtrox so I went and bought an ATI Rage Fury - (what a piece of 32Mb junk). One of the crappiest boards I'v seen. It fails the demo ATI ships with it - need I say more ?

My question now is GeForce 256 or S3 2K...?
                Both have T&L but the GeForce is supposed to have 480MTexel fill rate while the S3 is supposed 2 have 700...
                We also know Diamon is supposed to make the S3 boards and diamond are well known for their rock solid drivers. I remember them from the old millenium years with their first stealths.
                So, who is the best ?

------------------
                Cloudy
                Asus P2B-DS, 2 x Celeron 400@75Mhz, 128Mb Ram, Xitel Storm Platinum,
                2 x IBM 4.3Gb scsi, Pioneer DVD rom scsi, ati rage fury.
                Cloudy
                Asus P2B-DS, 2 x Celeron 450 (400@75Mhz), 192Mb Ram, SB Live! Platinum,
                2 x IBM 4.3Gb scsi,IBM 22GB IDE, Pioneer DVD ROM scsi, G400 32MB DH.

Comment

Diamond and stable drivers? Intereting how memories change. In good old times I bought a Stealth 64 VRAM despite the fact that the sales guy warned me about "driver issues"... He would have sold me a Matrox! Well, most of the issues really came from the S3 chipset that was on that board, but anyway... S3? Diamond? Stable?

M.
                  year2000:Athlon500/MSI6167/256M/10GIBM/6GSamsung/18GSCSI IBM/CL2xDVD/RR-G/HPPSPrinter/G400DH32M/DeltaDC995/MX300/ADSPyro1394/AHA2940UW/3comXL100

Comment

Um, the card is now going for $100,100. WTF!?!?!

------------------
                    Cheers,
                    Steve

Comment

Glaze3D is still the fastest announced product on this field. I can't wait for one.
                      _
                      B

Comment

did anyone notice that the Geforce will not be using a .18 die? I'd say it will probably not be very good at o/c'ing after seeing how HOT the TNT's run, and when they do change over to .18 Matrox will have their next version out, so do you wait again?
                        MAX is the card of TODAY!
                        jim

Arghhh! I'm a junior again! DOH!
                        ------------------

[This message has been edited by DuRaNgO (edited 09-02-1999).]
                        System 1:
                        AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                        Epox 8K7A
                        2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                        an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                        SBLIVE 5.1
                        Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                        IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                        Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                        3Com Hardware Modem
                        Teac 20/10/40 burner
                        Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

no you're not drungo, try a post And check this out:
                          http://www.firingsquad.com/features/geforce256trip/

Now that water looks really interesting... And most important of all: CANOPUS IS BAAAAAACCK three cheers for the company that gives a little extra and a lot more too

Did I hear stable win2k drivers? *drool*

[This message has been edited by tish beta2 (edited 09-02-1999).]

Comment

The point is that many of us won't buy an nVidia card at all unless they improve their 2D. They had astonishingly fast 2D with the Riva128, but it was horribly poor in quality. They have not seen fit to update or enhance it at all in the interval. ATI and 3dfx and S3 all have, although they are not as nice as Matrox to be sure.

Until an nVidia board looks nicer than my old Millenium 1 at resolutions 1024x768 and up (and TNT2 doesn't, for the record), I won't use an nVidia board - period.

- Gurm

------------------
                            G. U. R. M. It's not hard to spell, is it? Then don't screw it up!
                            The word "Gurm" is in no way Copyright 1999 Jorden van der Elst.
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            If only life were as easy as you
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            If only life were as easy as you
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

Quote:
                              __________________________________________________ ___________________________
                              As for cooling, Huang joked that you're not going to want to touch the chip lest you sear your finger right onto the silicon! All GeForce 256 chips will require active cooling (heatsink and fan) because the 23 milllion transistors run quite hot! Huang even alluded to the possibility of liquid cooling for future products, a comment which left some of the crowd whispering "Kryotech."

------------------
                              386sx-16, 2 MB ram, 340 MB harddrive, 12" monochrome monitor! (it really rocks on wolfenstein 3D)
                              System 1:
                              AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                              Epox 8K7A
                              2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                              an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                              SBLIVE 5.1
                              Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                              IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                              Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                              3Com Hardware Modem
                              Teac 20/10/40 burner
                              Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

As for 2D performance or clearity, Yes matrox is king, I can see were developers and others of the like would be concerned for the best 2D clearity you can get, but for general apps and gaming it makes no difference between V3, TNT, or Matrox. As for .22 micron and overclocable ... well everything is just specualative until the chip is avalible for retail ... it is running at a estimated 120 MHz witch is really low. This could be due to the heat that it puts off, but in reality who cares if you can overclock it if its already the fastest thing out there (Again speculative until released). Overclocking is just a bonus. I really hope that Matrox gets back in the ring as it seems S3 has. I like Matrox products, although I have not like there support on drivers or even email support.

Best Regards

------------------
                                Jd
                                Jd

Comment

Working...
                                X