No announcement yet.

GeForce any Viewpoints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gurm and others. If you say that 2D quality and image quality is bad on a TNT2, you are wrong. Actually I have a G200 and a friend have a TNT2, and I cant see any difference in image quality, and we both have good 17" trinitron monitors.
    -maxie-

Comment

i wonder what price they are going to be selling this next gen product at. ?????

gpu sounds like a nice way to charge $300.00 to $350.00 or more bucks for it.

oh ya they will be out in four weeks , ya right. beleave it when i see it they are still makeing too much money off tnt2. unless they plan on selling this new card at those high prices for the first few months so that the game/ tech fanatics will pay the high price of ge256 and those who just can't aford to spend that much still buy tnt2.

just my opinion, i could be wrong.

but think about it for a min. would you kill off a nnew product by releaseing a better one for the same price or would you lower the price of a product that is curently selling well so you could release a faster one that some most won't buy becuase they just bought your last one. (tnt2)
      msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
      it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

God you lot can bitch......

The nVidia products are usually pretty solid and I've been happy with the ones I have purchased.

I bought a Diamond 770 (not the ultra) to fill a gap while I waited for 4months inbetween reading about the G400Max and eventually getting one.

Although the Image quality and the frame rate is not quite up to the G400Max's at the rezolution I like to play at, it is still a solid and very usable card. It also works quite happily in Win2k.

Pige

PS: not sure how all the muppets managed to fluff installing the 5.21 drivers, cause they work fine for me. Managed to get a 5fps increase in Q3.

Comment

Here's another good quote:
          ================
          At "16x12x16" (which we assume means 1600x1200x16bit color), GeForce 256 gets 33.1 frames per second while the TNT2 Ultra is about half as fast at 17.5 frames per second. Why such a modest increase? Well, Quake 3 isn't a high poly game, so it's not going to show the kind of dramatic increase over the TNT2 Ultra...
          ================
          Notice how they're avoiding mentioning 32-bit? I suspect fill rate isn't a magnitude jump as it should be...
          As for dates and all, you all know now what is in the next gen. To me, it's worth the extra month wait. For others, it may not be. It's a matter of *your* priorities and desires. The great thing is we have a choice ;-)

Comment

Following is a quote from Carmacks .plan file as can be found on Voodooextreme:

I have been getting a lot of requests for commentary on two subjects lately:

Nvidia's new geometry accelerated card with the funny name.

It is fast. Very, very fast. It has the highest fill rate of any card we have ever tested, has improved image quality over TNT2, and it gives timedemo scores 40% faster than the next closest score with extremely raw beta drivers.

The throughput will definately improve even more as their drivers mature.

For max framerates in OpenGL games, this card is going to be very hard to beat.

Q3's target of about 10,000 triangles a frame doesn't stress this card at all. If you want more polygons out of Q3, you can do:

r_lodBias -2 // don't use lower detail models
            r_subdivisions 1 // lots more triangles in curves
            r_lodCurveError 10000 // don't drop curve rows for a long time

I haven't looked at the stencil shadow stuff in a long time, but it gives the largest increase in triangle use (and a lot of fill rate as well):

cg_shadows 2 // turn on stencil shadows
            // (if you have a stencil buffer)

Comment

While it's always disappointing to see whatever hardware I purchased being outdated by the latest advances in technology, that always seems to happen in computer hardware.

I waited long enough for my G400MAX and jst could not wait any longer for another newer card. Anyway for me right now the card is perfect. Image quality is excellent and is VERY important to me as I spend 75% of my time in 2d apps and I have a 21' monitor.
              The main reason I got a MAX was the 360 ramdac.

I do like to play games as well (mainly strategy games, some flight sim or driving games) but am not a quake fanatic and certainly I am not going to design my machine around a game or two. I guess it's all a matter of priorities but I am sometimes amazed how folks will make their purchasing decisions almost entirely based on quake framerate benchmarks. For me so far with 5.13 drivers the games I play have worked fine with no noticable framerate problems.

I'm waiting for all you guinea pigs <g> to hash out the new 5.2x drivers so I can figure whether it's worth the hassle or wait until the next driver release.

Comment

I am waiting for the G4x10 to the 2000th power card when the MURC-YWAVES story is done ....the heck with these primitive vid cards from the Powers of N and V....

-Dil

------------------
                Damn, I have way too much time on my hands...time for a story!

[This message has been edited by Dilitante1 (edited 09-03-1999).]
                Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Working...
                X