Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G400 only AGP 4x compatible but can not run at AGP 4X speed!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 only AGP 4x compatible but can not run at AGP 4X speed!!!

I have use the SiSsoft's Sandra Standard 5.3 to test my G400Max. The result is : G400Max is AGP Version 2.0 (4X mode support) but just can support 1X and 2X. No 4X mode speed support !!!It's mean that G400Max can run under AGP 4X mode but can not use 4X mode speed!

And my G400Max can only run at AGP 1X now.
    Could anyone tell me the Will G400 support 4x mode and 4x mode speed ?

the software can find here : http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/sandra

[This message has been edited by Javert (edited 09-22-1999).]
    P!!! 450 OC To 495. ASUS P2B V1.1, PC-133 256MB RAM. Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI Controller, IBM 9.1GB(2Mb Cache) LVD SCSI HardDisk X 2. Panasonic 20R,8W CD-R, Sony 5X ATAPI-DVD Rom, 3M LS-120 ATAPI-Floppy, Diamond Monster Sound Mx300 with four speaker, And My Matrox G400MAX

Javert,

Where did you get the Camino motherboard???

Comment

Yea...don't you think it would be hard for a mobo that only supports 2x to report on 4x support?

Check again when you have a 4x mobo

For the record, the current G400s will run on a 4x mobo, at 4x voltage (autoswitching), but at 2x transfers. No card can claim 4x transfers, since no mobo exists yet that can do it.
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

For the record, matrox have never claimed that the g400 could do 4x transfers, they've just said it's 4x compatible in all their press releases. They always have a disclaimer at the bottom listing 512MB/s as the peak transfer rate.
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

My G400 runs to the Bathroom. And will run the 40 in 4.2. Really! Sandy told me

Comment

Mine has the runs. Too much chili I guess..
            Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

My G400 got RUN over by some Delivery Driver's fat assed wife, who was RUNNING out of breath.

Comment

I'm RUNNING out of patience (nerves, I guess), but I'll be kind and explain it in words of one syllable so that we don't have to do this again (till next week)...

Javertt, your testing software is absolutely correct...the G400 cannot do 4x transfers. Fortunately, this is not a problem because there is no motherboard currently on the market that has an AGP slot that runs at 4X speed. Motherboards supporting AGP 4X (Intel's Camino and VIA's KX133 Athlon-compatible chipset) are not expected for some months yet. So relax and enjoy your MAX. By the time you get to the point of wanting to upgrade your MB and CPU, there will be lots more information to help you decide what (if anything) needs to be done about this horrible, horrible disability of the G400.

That was pretty reasonable, right?

---------------------------
                Holly
                Holly

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open ended program of procreative racial deconstruction."
                -Jay Bulworth

Comment

If I recall this correctly, it was no less than Haig himself who confirmed this months ago. That is, G400 works on 4X boards but with no 4X transfers.

_
                  B

Comment

Actually, I believe Haig said it may or it may not. They didn't have the final specs. Nor did nVidia, and some of their OEM's made some outrageous claims.

It's going to be an interesting autumn. I suspect our friend Sandra will be ratting quite a few of those OEM's out.

Paul
                    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

I believe that the G400 CHIP is capable of AGP4X transfers, but is set to max of AGP2X now for the current boards. I think that once AGP4X mobos are out and about, Matrox may well release the G400, once fully tested, which is capable of AGP4X transfers. I say this cos I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that the g400 itself (i.e. the chip) is capable of it.

------------------
                      Cheers,
                      Steve

PS: Some or all of the above message may be wrong, or, just as likely, correct. Depends on what mood I'm in. And what you know. ;¬)

Comment

So Matrox is carging us big$$ to be allowed to beta-test there hardware AGAIN?

Mark F.

------------------
                        OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

[This message has been edited by Mark F (edited 09-22-1999).]
                        Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                        --------------------------------------------------
                        OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                        and burped out a movie

Comment

Does anyone actually believe agp4x will make ONE FAT IOTA of difference on real world use? Not I. Use that 32mb for what its good for. 'Only' 512/sec, yeah like your harddrives can push that out anyway. Once you fill your ram, all will be fine :P

Comment

Zypher u missed to point of AGP x4 not all the system has to be 512/sec to see a performance increase u acually never move 512mb at once but 512/sec = 128 / 1/4 sec and that means that if u have a x4 AGP card with lets say 256mb ram (which will be the standard when x4 will be) you'll see only a little performance difference between a 32mb card a 16mb card or a 256mb card...

ur hard drive doesn't have to pump that much information at once coz the textures are loaded to the ram each time you load a map.

Comment

motub writes: Intel's Camino and VIA's KX133 Athlon-compatible chipset) are not expected for some months yet.

WRONG!

Camino, or the 820 chipset is due September 27th. That's NEXT week!

Comment

Working...
                              X