DVD Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD Problems

I asked this question about a week ago, but I wasn't specific enough to get any good (usable) answers. So, I will try again, and I respect all you guys, so I would appreciate any suggestions ...

Okay, so I recently got a new system, and got a g400 32 DH (long matrox user ... millennium->millenniumII agp->g200), along with an Abit BE6, p3450@450, Quantum Fireball Plus KA, and most importantly, a toshiba SD-m1212. Setup was pretty painless with windows98, and generally I am a pretty happy new computer owner.

I don't have a lot of experience with DVDs, but when I put in the matrix, the quality was awesome. Put in the Mummy, same results. But, my only problem is that I can't access the "special features" on the matrix disc. The mummy had a similar feature, and all was well.

I know that it isn't a defective disc, so I assume that it muct either be the drive or the software. I have a 6x drive, so I would imagine that all the features would be there, but maybe someone knows differently. Please help, I really want to fix this ASAP.

thanks in advance --joe

I just read something that there have been problems with the Matrix DVD, maybe it's just a bad DVD batch.

Comment

There are known issues with the Matrix DVD. If you check out http://www.pcfriendly.com/support/ti...ix/default.htm they have some trouble shooting tips for DVD-ROMs and the players. I have not been able to access any of the Special Features using the Matrox DVD player (and it gives the best quality picture). However, if you use the DVD player that is installed as part of the PCFriendly DVD-ROM install, all is well (except the sound quality sucks). Take one or the other....Either way the Matrix is the coolest DVD out (until Star Wars gets released)
      Pentium III 500MHz, 128MB RAM ,10GB + 850 MB Driver, Samsung DVD, Diamond Monster Sound II, and of course a G400 32MB DH (O/C 200/150)
      blah blah blah

Comment

Okay, here is the updated status ...

I know for a fact that the DVD isn't defective because I have seen it work in another computer (Creative 5x, with decoder I think), although I do agree that there was a defective batch.

About PCFriendly, I tried that and I thought everything was fine, it installed and everything and all was good. But, when I ran the program it just hung (not responding!!). I even restarted and still the same problems.

So now what is going on? I am totally stumped and have no idea what to do. Knowing all this, can anyone with similar hardware give me a solution? I assume that there are many people out there running matroxDVD (as I am) and getting into "special features". So, I am pretty sure it is my drive (Toshiba sd-m1212 6x), but what exactly is the problem?

Thanks (again) in advance --joe

Comment

What is your revision of SM-1212?

Mine came with 1R08 and I have flashed it with 1R14 version... and the latest one is 1R22... If yours is OEM version, use 1L22.

The document said that the new firmware adds the drive compatibility with DUAL LAYER MEDIA ...

Good Luck!
          http://perso.club-internet.fr/farzeno/firmware/

[This message has been edited by WayneHu (edited 10-08-1999).]
          P4-2.8C, IC7-G, G550

Comment

I have the same problem when using the Matrox DVD software. Rest assured, it's not the disc, it's definitely the software. My solution was, at the suggestion of someone else, to use WinDVD, which runs Matrix perfectly. I also read that you can replace dvdpl32.dll with that from Cinemaster version 1.027, though I personally haven't tried it.

Comment

I've had no problems with The Matrix.

Update the firmware of the DVD-ROM to 1R22(/1L22) and also get the Cinemaster decoder update (1.0.32).

------------------
              Pentium® II 300 MHz, Intel® AL440LX, 128 MB SDRAM, Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead, Toshiba SD-M1212, Seagate Medalist 6,5 GB, etc.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Okay, thanks for all the help, but now I just have a couple more questions.

First, what is the worst (likely) thing that can happen by updating the firmware, and how do I check what version I currently have? I am just not sure if I bought the drive OEM or retail? Does retail always come with a decoder card, how do I know?

Second, for Lucid, I am glad to hear we have similar setups, but where do I get the cinemaster (assuming you mean for the matroxDVD, doesn't it use cinemaster software?) decoder update?

Thanks again, I will get this bastard workin' soon. --joe

Comment

I have updated most of my firmwares, with no problems. Just follow the directions.
                  To check your firmware open the control panel, select the system icon, select the device manager tab, select the specific drive and select properties, select settings. It will tell you the firmware.
                  The problem with the matrix and a few other disks isn't just in computers. Older dvd players also have problems with the disks. Something about mary also causes problems. Some dvd players can have there firmware updated by an authorised servicer. We believe its the extra features that cause the decode to lock up if it doesn't know what to do with them. The disks are good.
                  BTW matrix plays fine for me with 1.028 engine. The extras use powerdvd, but my processor isn't fast enough.
                  Mine: Epox EP-8KTA3, Matrox G400 32mb DH + RRG, Athlon 1.2/266, 256mb, WD 30gb ATA100, Pio 32x CDROM, Adaptec 2940U2W, WD 18.3GB 10k U2W, Yamaha CDRW4416, Pio DVD-303, Scsi Zip 100, Seagate 10/20 Gb tape, SBlive platinum, Linksys 10/100 nic, HP 712c printer, HP 6200 scanner, Linksys 4port cable router, Linksys 2port print server/switch
                  Hers: Epox EP-3VSA, G400 32mb SH, PIII 750, 256mb, WD 10gb, Pio 6x DVD, Zip 250, Diamond S90, Linksys 10/100 nic

Comment

Cinemaster decoder 1.0.32 http://www.dvdsoft.de/filez/QIPATCH.ZIP

------------------
                    Pentium® II 300 MHz, Intel® AL440LX, 128 MB SDRAM, Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead, Toshiba SD-M1212, Seagate Medalist 6,5 GB, etc.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Hey,

I have a creative dvd 5x and using matrox dvd with "The Matrix", i have the same problem. If anyone finds out if doing this engive update fixes anything, let me know. I thought someone on here tried it to no avail.

I was kinda hoping 5.30 would help... but it didn't. Is it just the matrox dvd software that needs to be fixed?

------------------
                      Abit BH6, Celeron 450, Matrox G400 32mb "MAX", 256mb ram, IBM 10GB, DVD 5x, MX300
                      Abit BH6
                      Celeron 450
                      Matrox G400 32mb "MAX"
                      256MB PC100 RAM
                      IBM 10GB 7200rpm HDD
                      Creative Labs DVD 5x
                      Mitsumi 4x/2x/8x CD-RW
                      Monster Sound MX300
                      USR 56K Modem
                      ADi 6P (19" Monitor)
                      Windows ME

Comment