Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade from Celeron 450 to P3 450???

Hey,

I have a Celeron 450 and I'm just itching to upgrade to a P3 450. I know I won't experience much (if any of a performance increase), but I'd love to be able to use the TurboGL. I have PC 100 generic ram that will hardly do 103mhz, but I figure in a few months (or xmas) i can get some pc 133 and go for 600. Then be good til Willimete ;-)

Anyone think I'm crazy? Desperate? Thanks for your input.

Later

------------------
    Abit BH6, Celeron 450, Matrox G400 32mb "MAX", 256mb ram, IBM 10GB, DVD 5x, MX300

Abit BH6
    Celeron 450
    Matrox G400 32mb "MAX"
    256MB PC100 RAM
    IBM 10GB 7200rpm HDD
    Creative Labs DVD 5x
    Mitsumi 4x/2x/8x CD-RW
    Monster Sound MX300
    USR 56K Modem
    ADi 6P (19" Monitor)
    Windows ME

Hmmm...? Not crazy, but I suggest you to wait until Cumine have hit to shelves (current model's prices will go down) and possibly save some money for good piece of PC133...
    It will give you better mhz/buck ...
    Buying PIII 450 without ocing it is waste of money... Just my opinion ...nothing more... nothing less
    -J-

Comment

Well, I just won't be overclocking INTIALLY. In a month or two I'll have the PC133 goodness and i'll have my 600. :-)

------------------
      Abit BH6, Celeron 450, Matrox G400 32mb "MAX", 256mb ram, IBM 10GB, DVD 5x, MX300

Abit BH6
      Celeron 450
      Matrox G400 32mb "MAX"
      256MB PC100 RAM
      IBM 10GB 7200rpm HDD
      Creative Labs DVD 5x
      Mitsumi 4x/2x/8x CD-RW
      Monster Sound MX300
      USR 56K Modem
      ADi 6P (19" Monitor)
      Windows ME

Comment

Not to blow hot air up your rectum, but my experience with the PIII-450 and my old BH6 has been nothing short of great so far. I'm running 558@2.0V!!!

And my old PC100 ram could handle 124 Mhz. Maybe yours can too? If you are using a Celeron 450 now it might be you the CPU and not your memory holding you back! My old Celery 266 just got too hot at 124 Mhz FSB. At the crazy speed of 496 Mhz...

I'd say go for it! The PIII-450 is cheap now and when the new CPU's get to a reasonable price upgrade again if you want more speed by then. I would not hope to get to 600 on your BH6 however, cause it uses a FSB to PCI divider of 1/3 (44 Mhz when running 133). Not many PCI devices can handle that much juice. Mine could not! HDD fubar!

Regards,

Jake

------------------
        Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
        ----------------------
        MGA-G200 8Mb Mill. bios ver. 2.3, Abit BH6 mobo bios ver. LN, PIII-450@558, 128Mb PC-133 SDRAM, 17" Hitachi monitor, Plextor 40TS CDROM, Panasonic 7502 CDR. Diamond MX300 A3D PCI soundcard.
        Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
        ----------------------
        Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

Yeah, the 450's are getting cheap now, and they almost all run fine at at leat 558mhz. Just make sure you can divide the bus speed in 4 for your PCI bus when you run at 124mhz FSB.
          Are you sure it's your RAM not letting you hit over 103Mhz FSB? I thought that too of my cheapo PC100 RAM, but I borrowed a PIII-450 and got my RAM up to 124mhz FSB no problems.

Maybe even sell your old celery as one guaranteed to do 450mhz, or keep it as a spare. But believe me, if you keep it as a spare, then with other bits you have lying around, you'll end up building another PC, and therefore buying the bits you need for it. More money!
          And of course there's the TurboGL ...

------------------
          Cheers,
          Steve

PS: Some or all of the above message may be wrong, or, just as likely, correct. Depends on what mood I'm in. And what you know. ;¬)

[This message has been edited by SteveC (edited 19 October 1999).]

Comment

I just tried to say, that if you hold your pants and wait until you can afford both the PIII/450 and memory, prices will go down and you may buy something else with that money you save. Without better memory your performance doesn't increase much (ofcourse you get TGL and improved fps in games it supports, but nothig much more.) As you wery well know a month or two may make a big difference in prices while the goods are still the same... But you decide ofcourse...

Ps. I was just wondering the same thing, and you may quess my decision.
            -J-

Comment

And ofcourse, if someone of your friends have well ocing PIII/450 then you could ask if you can test your memmory with that... If it works then buy ...
              -J-

Comment

'No overclocking, initially'? Hmmm, I never even bothered to try 4.5x100 with my P3 450... These new 450s are cheap little gems all right.
                P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

Actually, here's my plan. I'm going to build a system for my signigicant other. (We want to play games together.)

Here's what I have extra:

ATI All in wonder
                  Voodoo2 sli
                  128mb pc100 ram (I really don't need 256 til win 2000 )
                  40x cd-rom
                  keyboard/mouse

So you see, if i replace my cpu... I'm almost all there ! All i need is a motherboard/case/HD/monitor.

I know... I'm sick. It's a neverending process.

Later

------------------

Abit BH6
                  Celeron 450
                  Matrox G400 32mb "MAX"
                  256MB PC100 RAM
                  IBM 10GB 7200rpm HDD
                  Creative Labs DVD 5x
                  Mitsumi 4x/2x/8x CD-RW
                  Monster Sound MX300
                  USR 56K Modem
                  ADi 6P (19" Monitor)
                  Windows ME

Comment

I agree, and many a web site are talking about the SL35D as a good player.

Comment

Could'nt agree more..

My PIII450 is running at 600 !, and at standard voltage. It seems that some of the 37D batches also overclock.

Incredibly even my Pc100 Cube memory is happy at 133 ! x 4.5.

All this is running on a ASUS P3B-F

W.

------------------------
                      ASUS P3B-F
                      128 MB RAM
                      8.5 Maxtor Hard Disk
                      Soundblaster Live
                      Haupaugge WinTV/Radio
                      Matrox G400MAX
                      Aopen DVD-CDROM drive..

Comment

Working...