No announcement yet.

Appeared to have fixed my Abit/G400 Max lockup problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Man, I'm back after another couple hours of tinkering around and no success. Anyways I've got a Bh6 rev1.0 with 96 megs ram. I was running fine with a g100 and voodoo2 sli before I bought the card. I spent $360 canadian for this card and Im would be happy with it if it didn't crash.

Sad Boy

Comment

BC, I just plugged it in. No mods. The card seems to fit well, but so did the old one.

I too am in doubt regarding the source of the problem, but I cannot ignore that after reseating (unscrewing) the old MAX it worked fine for many hours. Only after reseating it again it started kicking around like before, crashing on everything D3D. I never managed to get it right again.

After swapping in the new card, I reseated it a few times trying to invoke the problem, but it has not crashed on me yet. The card seems very confident about it's task.

An interesting thing I found is that although the new card is (over)clocked at a lower speed, and the overall scores from the new card are a bit lower, it's AGP2X texturing benchmark scores are quite a bit higher than the scores from the older card in AGP2X mode. Yet I'm using exactly the same settings.
      No I'm not. I just figured there is a difference since I'm using PD 5.30 now...

JasonC, you can try taking out cards, reseating/taking out DIMMs, try a different power supply, CPU, change RAM/CPU/bus timings,... many things. Or you can RMA the card (or better, the remains of it, since you removed the back plate).

[This message has been edited by Scytale (edited 12 October 1999).]
      P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

I too am running with a P2B-S motherbard and G400 MAX.Have experienced lock ups with no solution. When running with (3) 128mb DIMMS it will rarely boot.(2) is more stable and (1) better. The board has been replaced and lots of BIOS combos attempted. All board BIOS and ASUS BIOS is up to date. Latest drivers tried. Forced AGP 1.
        P2BS
        PIII 450
        MATROX G400 MAX
        Rainbow Runner
        Win98SE
        Seagate 18.2GB SCSI
        Maxtor Diamond 20GB and 40 GB
        384M RAM
        scubadiver@attcanada.net

Comment

Hm, thanks Scytale. Well, I just got up the gumption to order that second G400 Max I'd been threatening to order for my son's machine (also an Abit board, but a BM6, not a BX6 R2, but also in an InWin Q500 tower case). I've got my fingers crossed (hoping it is an Irish board ;-). I'll be back if it doesn't work, Haig ... :-)

------------------
          Cheers,
          BC
          Cheers,
          BC

Comment

Just make sure you come back with good news

Haig

Comment

I got my new Max about 3 days ago. Irish 3 wire. No lockups at all since I plugged it in . Rockin'

CeleronA300 @ 450, AsusP3B-F with all three memory slots occupied.

I had gotten my previous card to work most of the time by dealing with the seating issues.

Haig, do you want another Abit BH6/G400Max combo?

------------------
              'scuse me while I kiss the sky
              'scuse me while I kiss the sky

Comment

Hi Stone,

Sure why not. At this rate, I can give all my guys a xmas gift

Just send it back to my attention.

Thanks,

Haig

Comment

Ok Haig, I am back ... and with good news.
                  The second G400 Max (also from Ireland) is working great in my son's Abit BM6 with Inwin Q500 tower case. I did not have to make any physical adjustments at all.
                  So, all's well that ends well. Thanks again for all your help.

------------------
                  Cheers,
                  BC
                  Cheers,
                  BC

Comment

When my system flakes out for no reason that I can find (and this rarely happens), I take drastic measures:

1) Get out the compressed air can.

2) Clean off a workspace.

3) Tear the computer down into all its component parts and dust them all off.

4) Carefully reassemble it, making sure that all parts fit. I don't tighten any screws during this process.

5) Make a final check (with a flashlight) of all the components, making sure that they're seated properly.

6) Slowly tighten up the screws, making sure that the cards don't pop out.

7) Cross my fingers.

8) Turn it on and see if things run better.

I actually have to check out my own box tonight or tomorrow - I think the G400 may have worked loose a little when I inserted a couple PCI cards last night - had two weird crashes where things just hung and the Live! went nuts.

Just my $0.02
                    The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
                    The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
                    The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

Working...
                    X