G400 Graphical errors and win98

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 Graphical errors and win98

I love my G400, I got i about a 2 months ago. My problem is that when im in Win98 i get sudden graphical errors and my computer hangs up (totally). The errors are lines or big squares of grey and black lines. It mostly happens when I open programs like CuteFTP and Mirc. Has anyone had this problem too? Could it be my tv card that does it, or should i get another one from the store? btw, it doesn't happen when I am playing games or using Linux.

------------------
    My System: PIII-500 on a Asus p2b-LS, 2x128 mb PC100 ECC Ram, g400 (32 mb) running dualhead, Hauppauge WinTV32, Sony m420GS, Sony m200SX, SBlive! retail (LiveWare 3.0) on a Sony STR-DE415 surround system (Sounds So Sweeeeet), 2mbit LanCity LCPET-2 cablemodem, 2xIBM DNES-309170W u2 HD, 1xIBM DNES-34560D u2 HD, Plextor UltraPleX 40max, Plextor PleXWriter 8/20, Panasonic DVD drive in an Intel Columbus II server chasis. Running Win98SE and Redhat Linux 6.1.

My System: Dual PIII-550 on a Asus p2b-DS, 2x128 mb PC133 mem, g400 (32 mb) running dualhead, Hauppauge WinTV32, Sony m420GS, Sony m200SX, SBlive! retail (LiveWare 3.0) on a Sony STR-DE415 surround system (Sounds So Sweeeeet), 2mbit LanCity LCPET-2 cablemodem, 2xIBM DNES-309170W u2 HD, 1xIBM DNES-34560D u2 HD, Plextor UltraPleX 40max, Plextor PleXWriter 8/20, Panasonic DVD drive. All in a Intel Columbus II server chassis. Running Win2000 Proffesional and Redhat Linux 6.2.

Ok sorry, Ill just go and bury my self, and then in my next life ill read ALL the artichles before I post something dumb again! )

Sorry guys.
    My System: Dual PIII-550 on a Asus p2b-DS, 2x128 mb PC133 mem, g400 (32 mb) running dualhead, Hauppauge WinTV32, Sony m420GS, Sony m200SX, SBlive! retail (LiveWare 3.0) on a Sony STR-DE415 surround system (Sounds So Sweeeeet), 2mbit LanCity LCPET-2 cablemodem, 2xIBM DNES-309170W u2 HD, 1xIBM DNES-34560D u2 HD, Plextor UltraPleX 40max, Plextor PleXWriter 8/20, Panasonic DVD drive. All in a Intel Columbus II server chassis. Running Win2000 Proffesional and Redhat Linux 6.2.

Comment

I had the same problem, I tried almost everything and then got really pissed as I couldnt fix it. In the end I worked out what it probably was. overheating.

I have a hell of a lot of stuff in my PC and a standard cheap case and power supply. I also have 2 scsi cards 3 hard disks including a very fast and hot ulta wide scsi LVD HD, 2 network cards DSL and LAN a SB live a DC30+ editing suite scanner, graphics tablet 2 printers CD RW, joystick.

All this was getting my machine incredibly hot partly due to overloading my power supply and poor ventilation.

I did all the IRQ, bios stuff as recommended and moved my HD's around for better ventilation, also moved and high resource PCI cardsfrom slot 1 and shared ISA/PCI slot and left the case wide open for ventilation. this keeps my machine cool enough to run happily no crashing whatsoever. Also if your machine is a year old or more I might recommend vacum cleaning the whole inside of your PC and the PSU CAREFULLY, to remove excess dust that helps heat buildup.

I'm currently looking for a nice quiet fairly powerfull fan to mount to my PC for extra cooling as its often 80f indoors with the air conditioning here during the summer.

best of luck, after doing the above I siolved my troubles, allthough for some reason
      i needed to run in AGP 1x for a short time..

Comment

Working...
      X