I have an Interesting Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have an Interesting Problem

My system has started to act up over the past week. I will get a garbled screen - horizontal lines and severe corruption before the system locks up.

I first thought it was software conflicts. It appeared to be related to my SB live drivers (SB 3.0) and Microsofts game controller software. However after reformating and only loading SB 2.0 and the 2.1 upgrade I still have the problem. Also my Sidwinder 3D shows as not connected about 50% of the time when I boot up. It is connected to the SB Live.

I then noticed something else strange. If I shut down my system, disconnect the power cord and touch the frame it runs fine for awhile. This is beginning to look more like an electrical problem. I did get a new case two weeks ago. An Addtronics 7896A with a 300W PS. Could this possibly be a problem with the Power Supply, a grounding problem with my ABIT BE6 mobo or could I have a problem with static building up due to all the fans in this case?

Here's the voltages for my system.
    Paul

------------------
    P3-616(112x5.5), ABIT BE6, 256MB PC100, MILL G400 MAX-32MB on BNC, Quantum3D Obsidian2 X-24 on D-sub, IBM Deskstars 18GB ATA/66 and 13.5GB ATA/66, 21"Trinitron, SCSI CDR/RW, SCSI ZIP,SB Live!Value,USR Voice Faxmodem Pro(USB Ext),Epson 1520 printer,Umax1200S scanner,WN98 all in a Addtronics 7896A case and a (Not so Messy Desk) ;-P

[This message has been edited by ALBPM (edited 31 October 1999).]
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

I have the same problem with my pad - a Gravis Xterminator - started when I intalled DX7. I think.

Is there a grounding strip bolted onto your MB? Have you used metal mounting studs? (Plastic ones are no good). Static build up sounds unlikely assuming that you *are* earthed.

What happens if you shut down my system, disconnect the power cord and don't touch the frame? If you are really concerned about earthing wire your case to a radiator

Comment

Hi Smiff,

I am running DX7 maybe that's the problem with the joystick software and the SB Live.

I did use only metal standoffs, no plasatic or insulators on the standoffs.

It seems that if I don't touch the case/frame the problem doesn't go away.

Paul

[This message has been edited by ALBPM (edited 31 October 1999).]
      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

If you have the means, check to be sure your power outlet is wired correctly. I built a box for a friend and when they got it home they had problems with keyboard on. Worked fine for me. The plug was wired incorrectly and had a poor ground.
        MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
        Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
        512MB regular Crucial PC2100
        Matrox P
        X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
        LianLiPC70

Comment

It could be a problem with the outlet, I'll have to check it out. I've had five different systems connected to the outlet in the past with no problems. The only difference is that my new case is on plastics castors the others were sitting on the carpet - metal bottoms in contact with the carpet.

Paul

Comment

er, whip 'em off ?!

Comment

I must say that I have a similar problem, with the screen-corruptions and total system lockup. This started since 3 days ago, every time I open up a browser, no matter if it's IE5 or NS4.6

Coloured horizontal lines across my screen, full width, then the system locks up.

I have DX7 installed. And WinNT4 on my second hdd... the problems started since after installing that. Coincidence??

Jorden.
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Coloured horizontal lines across the screen? I had that with the 4.51 drivers, the classic tripple buffer bug. But it only happened with multimedia stuff. Could be AGPx2/busmastering problem as well.

Comment

Yep, try forcing AGP1X. I'm sure you remember <a href="http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/005078.html">this</a> thread, and <a href="http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/004833.html">this</a> one, and maybe even <a href="http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/002734.html">this</a> one...

I tried grounding directly on the main lead as well as on the TV cable, but it didn't solve my (historical) problem. As you may know, I jumped on the RMA band wagon, and the new card has not locked up once. Maybe this one too will start bucking again in a few weeks. God knows...

[This message has been edited by Scytale (edited 31 October 1999).]
                  P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

Well, as I told Pauly, it could be a heat problem in my case... or more a lack of heat... if I let my PC run unattended for 15 minutes and start working then, I don't have a problem.

I did change my G400 IRQ from 9 to 11 last week though. If I must, I'll change it back to 9, but as I said, if the PC's warmed up, all problems are gone.

Jorden.
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

If you have the Sidewinder 3D Pro there is a patch for it at www.microsoft.com/sidewinder/downloads/default.htm

I have the Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro and sometimes it will show not connected also. But a quick reboot and I'm usually back in business. Mine by the way is connected to a SB PCI64 card.

Also get the latest Siderwinder software version 3.02 if you have done so already.

Joel
                      Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                      Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Jorden, are you sure you're not confusing your PC with Holly?
                        P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

HEY!!! What brought that on, Scytale???

Dunno why you think it would take 15 minutes for <u>me</u> to warm up... especially if it's Jord doing the warming... but maybe you never saw his picture...

And Paul... I can't say anything about the static argument, but I do wonder if every thing is plugged into all slots and plugs <u>securely</U>, if you don't mind checking.
                          It's that intermittency that I'm noticing, especially in the gameport detection... and wouldn't a loosely connected power cord create static?

Just a thought.

------------------
                          Holly
                          Holly

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open ended program of procreative racial deconstruction."
                          -Jay Bulworth

Comment

------------------
                            Official MURC-police
                            Official MURCaholic !!
                            -------------------
                            You and me baby, ain't nothing but mammals
                            So lets do it, like they do on the Discovery Channel
                            -------------------
                            Holly is nr. 1

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 31 October 1999).]
                            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Well, I've upgraded my Microsloth software - Thanks, Joel. And have re-seated all my cards and P3.
                              So far so good - and keeping everything crossed, hoping it doesn't lockup again.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X