Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The following is not for the weak or easily offended.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The following is not for the weak or easily offended.

0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 Communications Port (COM2)
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    5 Printer Port (LPT1)
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 (free)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 U.S. Robotics 56K Voice Win
    9 Creative SB Live! Value
    9 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    9 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
    10 Creative SB16 Emulation
    11 Adaptec AHA-2940U2/AHA-2940U2W PCI SCSI Controller
    11 Matrox Millennium G400 - English
    11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    15 (free)

This, believe it or not, is what I've had to do to get the G400 to work reliably. Was able to run UT at 1024 res at 32bpp and got average of 61 FPS after two hours of playing. After deciding to do the opposite of conventional thought I've obtained an IRQ list that would make even the best tech shiver in fright. can ANYONE tell my WHY I'm not having problems now? And I mean not the first lockup in days. I'm still afraid to switch the desktop out of 32bit mode. Adaptec 2940U2W is in slot one (with all but a sec. HD and zip on SCSI), SBLive in 2, USR Winmodem in slot 3.

------------------
    Reach me on MS Messenger as everettes@hotmail.com
    PIII550, Intel SE440BX-2, 2 x 128 Kingston PC100 ECC, 2940U2W, Seagate Cheetah, G400-32 SH, Plextor 8\20, Plextor 40Max, Pioneer 303s, SBLive!, MS FFPro, Altec Lansing ACS-48, Sony CDP 520GS

[This message has been edited by everettes (edited 09 November 1999).]
    PIII600EB, CC820, 256Megs, 2940U2W, Seagate Cheetah,G400-32 SH, Plextor 8\20, Plextor 40Max, SBLive!, MS FFPro, Altec Lansing ACS-48, Sony CDP 520GS

The memory registers used by slots and drivers, maybe?

You're right though, that <u>is</u> a pretty scary setup.....really glad it works better than it looks....

------------------
    Holly
    Don't look down/ If you want to keep on flying
    Ya gotta put the hammer down/ And take it full speed ahead
    Don't you ever look back/ Or you might just end up crying
    You can keep moving/ If you don't look down (Bette Midler)
    ------------------
    Yeah, yeah, system specs, whatever...at the moment, it's: Soyo 5EMA, K6-2 333, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, Maxtor 7GB HDD, LS-120, Promise Ultra33 EIDE controller, Diamond Monster Sound MX300, HP 8100i CD-RW, Hi-Val (Nakamichi) 16X 5-disk CD changer, Win98SE ...oh yeah, and a Millennium G200 8MB SGRAM. I'll get to installing my G400MAX in the DFI BX board... soon. Really.

Holly

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open ended program of procreative racial deconstruction."
    -Jay Bulworth

Comment

BTW... reach you on 'MS Messenger'??? [sigh]... I remember when it was just good ol' Hotmail... and not 'Spam Central' (that was AOL)....[/sigh]

----------------
      Holly

[This message has been edited by motub (edited 09 November 1999).]
      Holly

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open ended program of procreative racial deconstruction."
      -Jay Bulworth

Comment

Hotmail's the junk account for all my NG's. It gets about 40 e-mails a day. I prefer for people to contact me on MS Messenger so I don't have to sort through the junk and I don't have to play e-mail tag. If it goes to hotmail, there's a real good chance it's going to get junked. I didn't get spam in Hotmail till I started using it as default address in my newsreader. Then all hell broke loose. You know there a bot when you enter a newsgroup and within second two e-mails hit my Hotmail account. The only one that doesn't generate spam is the MS CPP group. I used AOL for awhile, but their paranoia and complete refusal to have a standard E-mail or Messenger format really irks me. I HATE trying to send E-mail to people with AOL.

------------------
        PIII550, Intel SE440BX-2, 2 x 128 Kingston PC100 ECC, 2940U2W, Seagate Cheetah, G400-32 SH, Plextor 8\20, Plextor 40Max, Pioneer 303s, SBLive!, MS FFPro, Altec Lansing ACS-48, Sony CDP 520GS

PIII600EB, CC820, 256Megs, 2940U2W, Seagate Cheetah,G400-32 SH, Plextor 8\20, Plextor 40Max, SBLive!, MS FFPro, Altec Lansing ACS-48, Sony CDP 520GS

Comment

I would move the sb16 emulation to irq 7, as there are many older dos games that expected the sb cards to be at 7. Also runs very well at irq 5, can share with lpt1 port.

I would also move the scsi card to 10.

Just a thought.

Comment

No, Neil, read it again... this config is how the system works... in the config you suggest, or any other, it doesn't...

That's the question on the table... howcum???

----------------
            Holly
            Holly

-Jay Bulworth

Comment

Neil, I don't think you get the jist of this post. I ain't moving nothing. I don't use DOS, The SCSI card is forcing that IRQ because it's in the 1st PCI next to the G400. And if I move that SCSI, I immediately start getting freezes and lock-ups from the G400. I've been trying for about TWO WEEKS to get this G400 to work reliably. This is the ONLY way it will. That's why I posted. All were telling me NOT to share IRQ's(Which before I never was), but just to try, I put the SCSI in the first slot to force it to share with the G400 and to get it closer to the AGP, then lo and behold, it works flawlessly. All the 50 or so combinations I tried never showed a conflict and still don't. But now the card is perfectly happy sharing with the SCSI. What gave me the idea was a post about bus noise, so if you narrow the distance from the G400 to the farthest card noise should decrease. So I did, the 1st PCI which had been empty for a year is now used by the card requiring the most bandwidth.

------------------

[This message has been edited by everettes (edited 09 November 1999).]

Comment

Everettes, which PD version are you using? 5.30 or 5.25? I have a built in SCSI adapter (adaptec 7896) which insists on using the same irq as my AGP slot also. I don't seem to have problems with 5.25, only 5.30 with TurboGL enabled in Q2. Also, do you have busmastering enabled?

------------------
                Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

everettes, a majority may have told you, but not all of us have told you not to share IRQ's. Mines been sharing since I first got a G400 in July '99. But I would have to jam my G400 in PCI slot 4 to share with my SCSI.

Still defies all conventional thinking, but never argue with what works, eh?
                  --------------------------------------------
                  Necessity is the MOTHER of all invention.

------------------
                  P III 500 @ 560 via 112 FSB, ASUS P2B-LS w/1011 BIOS, 256 MB 8ns ECC RAM ECC Enabled since 5.13 driver release, current 5.30 drivers, DX 7, Seagate 9 GB LVD Cheetah & 9 GB UW Barracuda, 10 GB IDE DiamondMax, Plextor Ultraplex 32 X/Plexwriter 8/2/20 RW, Hitachi GD 2000 IDE DVD CD ROM, SCSI ZIP Insider, G400 MAX, SB Live/Liveware 2.1, Sigma Hollywood + DVD decoder, US Robotics 56K Sportster, Sony GDM400PS, UMAX 2400S SCSI scanner, Soundworks 5.1, HP 6P Laser & 890C, SCSI, LAN & USB enabled. SB Live shares IRQ w/MAX, bus mastering enabled, Win98 SE and NT 4.0 SP4.

MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                  Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                  512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                  Matrox P
                  X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                  LianLiPC70

Comment

KvHagedorn:

I'm running 5.30 and no TurboGL. I only play two games, UT and NFS-HS. Both run AMAZING and look great. BTW any reason that FOG on NFS doesn't work? Not that I mind bcuz I turn it off anyway, but it caught my eye.

And yes, busmastering is enabled!

BTW: I deserve to be a MURCer now, I've MORE than paid my dues.

PS: I'm curious what would happen if the SBLive users having problems did the same thing, What would happen? Mine hasn't caused any problems yet.

------------------

Comment

everettes

If you read the specs for PCI 2.1 (on Intels maze of a web site somewhere) then it states that AGP cards and SCSI can share an IRQ. Its also written in some of the older Adaptec manuals (before U2W came out).

The conflict that Surprises me is your Modem and SB Live! sharing an IRQ without playing up. I havent got a Live!, but from what Ive read its very fussy about what it will work with.

I know you say its working now, but if you find you have problems in the future, go to system properties, then system devices, then PCI bus, then IRQ steering tab. Us the little ? thingee in the top right corner, and click on the 'use IRW steering' box.

The instructions there have helped me out many times, with many different computers. That info doesnt seem to be anywhere else in the windows help file either (that I have found).

Good luck with your system ,and I hope it turns out to be stable under all situations (like playing streaming music over the net)

Ali

------------------
                      P3 600@618, 128Mb CAS2 RAM, Abit BX6R2.02, G400 32 DH, Voodoo2 SLI, Adaptec 2940UW, soundblaster 32 ISA, D-link 10/100 NIC, 36XCD, 6X4X24 CD-RW, 2X4 DVD-RAM, Zip100, Cheetah HDD, Medalist Pro HDD, 20inch KTX as Primary, 15inch TVM as secondary, KTX speakers with a sub, and some other suff I have forgotten.

Comment

Intel motherboards must know something about the PCI spec that non-intel boards don't.

Personally, I think you paid off the little blue gnomes that live in your computer. :-)

------------------
                        Primary System: PIII-540 (450@4.5x120), Soyo 6BA+ III, 4x128MB PC100 ECC SDRAM CAS2, G400 MAX in multi-monitor mode. V2 SLI rig. Two Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 900u monitors, 3Com 3C905, SoundBlaster Live!, DeskTop Theater DTT2500 DIGITAL Speaker System (Sweeeeeet!), WD AC41800 18GB HD, WD AC310100 10GB HD, Toshiba SD-M1212 6x DVD-ROM, HP 8100i CD-RW, Epson Stylus Pro, OptiUPS PowerES 650, MS SideWinder Precision Pro USB joystick, Logitech 3-button mouse, Mitsumi keyboard, Win98 SE, Belkin OmniCube 4-port KVM, 10/100 5-port Linksys Ethernet switch (30~40MB/min under Win98SE), Epson 1200u scanner.

Secondary System: PII-266, Asus P2B BIOS 1008, 1x128MB PC100 ECC SDRAM CAS2, Millennium II, 3Com 3C590, ADSL Modem 640kbit down/90kbit up, 3Com 3C509, Mylex BT-930 SCSI card, Seagate 2GB Hawk, NEC 6x CD-ROM, Linux distro S.u.S.E. 6.1 (IP Masquerade works!), Sharp JX-9400 LJ-II compatible

Tertiary System: DFI G568IPC Intel 430HX chipset, P200MMX, 4x64MB EDO Parity RAM, Millennium II, Intel Pro/100+ client NIC, SoundBlaster 16 MCD, Fujitsu 3.5GB HD, WD 1.2GB HD, Creative Dxr3 DVD decoder card, Hitachi GD-2500 6x DVD-ROM, Win98 SE

All specs subject to change.

The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
                        The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
                        The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

everettes, could I pay off some of your little blue gnomes to live in my computer??? And then I could leave milk on the doorstep for them... oh, wait, that's brownies... anyway, it seems that the SS7 chipset was so rushed and under-supported, that we don't even have the option of paying off gnomes, gremlins, fairies or other magical creatures, to make our PC's run stably...

I know your gnomes might not agree, a SS7 system is not really up to their standards... maybe they could hook me up with some fairy dust???

------------------
                          Holly
                          Don't look down/ If you want to keep on flying
                          Ya gotta put the hammer down/ And take it full speed ahead
                          Don't you ever look back/ Or you might just end up crying
                          You can keep moving/ If you don't look down (Bette Midler)
                          ------------------
                          Yeah, yeah, system specs, whatever...at the moment, it's: Soyo 5EMA, K6-2 333, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, Maxtor 7GB HDD, LS-120, Promise Ultra33 EIDE controller, Diamond Monster Sound MX300, HP 8100i CD-RW, Hi-Val (Nakamichi) 16X 5-disk CD changer, Win98SE ...oh yeah, and a Millennium G200 8MB SGRAM. I'll get to installing my G400MAX in the DFI BX board... soon. Really.

Holly

-Jay Bulworth

Comment

My god girl, what were you thinking

".............. howcum???"

Jordie, were you talking dirty to Holly when she was posting this

Everettes - What happens when you play UT on line?

Ciao

Comment

Well, this is the strangest thing I have seen. I guess if it works, don't touch it.

howcum? I dono.

Comment

Working...
                              X