problem with "stuttering sounds"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem with "stuttering sounds"

Since I installed my G400 MAX, my sound card has been stuttering a lot when I use winamp. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can fix this? When I had my G100, I had very little problems with this. My sound card is a Creative EnsoniquePCI. Thanks people
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Anybody????
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Go to Options->Preferences->Plug-Ins->Input->MPEG Audio Decoder->Decoder->Full File Buffering and set the value to 32768 and see if that works

Dan
      System Specs...
      MSI MS-6309->Bios:1.3 Drivers:VIA AGP v4.03
      Intel PentiumIII 667MHz
      192MB PC100 SDRAM (1x128 Siemens & 1x64 Micron)
      Matrox MillG400MAX->Bios:1.6 Drivers:PD5.52
      Diamond MX300->Drivers: Aureal Reference 2048
      USR 56k ISA Modem
      Adaptec 2930c SCSI Host Adapter
      Imation 8x20 CD-R
      Imation LS-120
      Kenwood 72x TrueX CD-ROM
      WD 8.4G HDD (Win98) WD 6.4G HDD (BeOS 4.5.2)

Comment

Is it plugged into the slot under your AGP slot?

That can cause big probs.

What I am saying! EVERY PCI sound card I've ever tried caused all kinds of problems with my G200 - no matter what slot I put it into.

Its probably something to do with busmastering, AGP x2 or something like that. Try turning them off, see what happens.
        If it is one of these, you'll have to decide whats more important; your PCI sound card or more graphic card bandwidth...
        Paul Groves.
        -
        http://home.clara.net/paulyg
        OpenGL for Beginners

Comment

Is it plugged into the slot under your AGP slot?

That can cause big probs.

What I am saying! EVERY PCI sound card I've ever tried caused all kinds of problems with my G200 - no matter what slot I put it into.

Its probably something to do with busmastering, AGP x2 or something like that. Try turning them off, see what happens.
          If it is one of these, you'll have to decide whats more important; your PCI sound card or more graphic card bandwidth...

------------------
          Paul Groves.
          -
          OpenGL for Beginners
          Paul Groves.
          -
          OpenGL for Beginners

Comment

Well I doubt it has anything to do with the busmastering or AGP 2x, because I forced the agp to 1x and I disabled busmastering in my MAX. Neither one work with my computer as of NOW... I changed the value to 32768 and it seems to have helped a litte. Any other ideas to help a LOT?
            --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Mr Atreides: I never had a prob with my G200
              8meg and a YMF724 Yamaha PCI sound card. I had (and have) the sound card in the second slot closest to the AGP slot. Try that. I don't believe that the agpx1 or busmastering must be turned off. I would have had a fit if that was the only option.

------------------
              AssuP2B ,iCeleron337, 128megs PC100, G40032megSH, Yamaha PCI sound, 2 small HD's, 42X Sony CDrom and 98SE w/shutdown patch, PD 5.30 w/beta ICD

AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Borhn, I see I've found another Dune fan (or at least someone else who read it). Thanks, I'll check the slot.
                --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Hmmm, is there still an 'automatic PCI retries' setting somewhere? It used to cause this kind of stuttering with the G200.

Muad'Dib, you may want to experiment a little with TweakBIOS to change PCI latency and such.
                  P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

Working...
                  X