Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! G400 Millennium Single-Head problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey... it's not you must to do so, but it's recommended... If you want to keep CPU you have to go for SS7-board. But it might be wise to go intel based system with celeron cpu (it budget solution) and if you later want to more power you could just change cpu to PIII (so slot1 mobo and converter for celery). But you still can try make your current system to work... Was your mobo that M577 ? Go and get newest drivers try with em. If they dont work, we will check your settings...

J.
    -J-

Comment

Well, I'm trying to avoid Intel, actually, but I'm not averse to buying a slightly faster CPU (and I DEFINITELY plan to get more memory, especially since everyone seems to agree that increasing the AGP aperture helps a bit).

Assuming I DON'T replace my motherboard, though, what can I do? I've installed the VIA 4-in-1 drivers, to no avail, and am using IRQ 11 for the board itself. What else could be causing the problem?

Comment

Wait, I thought you said you didn't know what motherboard you had, yet you try to install the drivers for a VIA chipset???? Now I am totally confused.

Okay, I need to know what your system "looks like" so, hit the windows key and break key at the same time, select device manager and hit properties, copy that IRQ list completely and post it.

Rags

Comment

I've got a M577 (thanks to Uncle Joe for finding it), which uses a VIA Apollo MVP3 chipset (according to the site I found). However, I notice that Joe's link includes ANOTHER AGP VxD driver -- one that isn't listed on the site I used -- and so I'll try it as soon as I can.

Unfortunately, the machine in question is my HOME PC, so I'll have to get you the IRQ and device information this evening.

[This message has been edited by TomDavidson (edited 18 November 1999).]

Comment

Well, I was too avoiding Intel, but then I got enough troubles with my SS7 platform (P5A&AMD k6-2/450) or should I say ALi troubles . Athlon and PIII (wouldn't bought that) were too expensive for student so i ended to celery and i have to say that I haven't faced problems since. But if you have installed all new chipset drivers (ofcourse you uninstalled previous ones !)and cleaned all old display adapter drivers from your hd's and registrys. Next step is to go to MS-home and find if there is patches for your winblows <A href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/highlights/win98update.asp">HERE</A> or maybe <A href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/support/searchKB/default.asp">HERE 2</A>. Then you have to try disable every other devices than your G400.Take off all un necessary (disable (from bios or with jumppers, check your mobo manual) your onboard audio and what ever you have integrated to your mobo) and drivers too... Boot up with minimum system and shut down. If lock up occurs with minimum system you should try different bios settings (check mobo manual)and fresh install of Win98 (with minimum system) (add patches for win98 right after installing it) then if it works add devices one by one test after each device.
            J.
            -J-

Comment

Oh... and Tom do as Rags says and post your system here, please !!!

J.
              -J-

Comment

Hi Tom,

Then just follow these simple steps exactly and you should be doing fine:

Download the new G400 drivers (which you have already =) ), download the 4in1 driver pack from Via, download the uninstall utility from Matrox, run the uninstall utility, reboot switch to standard Vga adapter and reboot, install the 4in1 driver pack in normal mode reboot and go into your bios and disable "read around write" save settings and exit, boot into windows and run the setup for PD 5.30, reboot and you should be up to speed.

Rags

Comment

Well.. that seems a lot easier way than mine (much less testing and trying different settings). But basics are the same: get rid of old drivers, install new ones, find right bios settings and enjoy...

J.

-J-

Comment

I Don't think that shutting down problem is power related... but rest of probs may be ...
                    And I only have suggested to Tom changing mobo bcause if his mobo is that M577(link i posted) ... he may not get it working with G400 ...
                    And Buuri if you take a look previous posts i have suggested him to get newest available bios to his mobo and allso drivers to chipset (i think that would help (atleast part of) solving his problems) ... But it's quite impossible to get em if he doesn't even know what mobo he has ...
                    And Tom sorry asking again your O.S. ... you have allready given it, my mistake !

J.
                    -J-

Comment

Working...
                    X