Help! Driver related issues w/ G400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Driver related issues w/ G400

As to BIOS settings, currently AGP is set at 64. I've tried 256 w/ no changes in results. IRQ settings in BIOS are all set to "available". Currently the G400 and AudioPCI share the same IRQ - 9. I've tried assigning via the BIOS, but to no avail. Both will move to the next available.

No video or level 2 cache set.

The problems noted persist after reseating the card and a clean install of Win98SE. I'm aware that some have experienced the same problem on OpenGL screensavers as I have. I can live w/o that. But the problems with the other programs I use, thats another issue.

Grum - thanks for the help!
    Gateway Performance 850 - Matrox G450 32mb DDR, SB Live! Value, Promise UltraATA 66 & 30GB HD - and Windows 2000 Pro

cputnam:

I know how to solve the IRQ prob. PCI slot 1 and the AGP slot shre the same IRQ. On some motherboards, slot 1 is right next to the AGP slot. On otheres, it's the slot furthest from the slot. It's advisable to put a PCI card that doesn't require an interrupt in slot 1. Try the sound card in a different slot.

Bill

------------------
    People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...
    People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...

Comment

Bill - thanks for the advice, but...as noted above, the soundcard is hardwired (i.e. built into) to the mobo. So it can't be moved.

My only alternative would be to move the SCSI card to the #1 slot.

However, I guess I can't see how doing this will address the software issues I've encountered. Any thoughts/input?
      Gateway Performance 850 - Matrox G450 32mb DDR, SB Live! Value, Promise UltraATA 66 & 30GB HD - and Windows 2000 Pro

Comment

cputnam - you are very brave getting GURMs name wrong. That can set him off!

Rule #1 around here seems to be not sharing an IRQ with the G400. I had to disable the onboard sound (with my G200 and G400) to cure lockups and random crashes. It wasn't that good anyway. A PCI 128 is £20 well spent if cash is an issue.

You could always try disabling the sound temporarily to see if things improve.

Good Luck - Tony.
        FT.

Comment

Help! Driver related issues w/ G400

Hopefully, I can obtain some info/response before making a "rash" decision.

I have a G400SH running in a Gateway G6-400 (Intel Tabor mobo, onboard AudioPCI, Phoenix BIOS w/ latest update, Adaptec 2502 SCSI, Gateway/3COM Telepath Modem).

I've run into several problems that appear to be driver related (specifically ver. 5.3)
          1. Symantec TalkWorks PRO - in 16bit color, many of the custom fax cover sheets don't appear properly (i.e. when I enter the name/fax number/company, this info doesn't prefill into the cover sheet). If I switch to 32 bit color, everything works fine.

2. If I run Microsoft Home Publishing 2000 in 32bit color and try to print, I get the wonderful BSOD (error message: HPUB.EXE caused an error in GDI.EXE - I assume that this is the Graphic Device Interface applic of Win98SE).

3. In 16bit color, I can't run OpenGL screen savers and enable other power management features. However, in 32bit, this works fine.

I've e-mailed Matrox and haven't heard of a solution yet. I've also gone back to the original 5.1* drivers and #1 and #2 work fine.

I'm extremely frustrated and considering switching to another mfgr.

Help!

Appreciate any thoughts/input.

Comment

Well, we need a LITTLE more information before we can help you. The problem is that when switching any MAJOR piece of hardware in your system, you SOMETIMES have to reinstall. We hope it won't come to that for you, because we know it's a pain - but you'll discover that it is the case with ANY video card that you'll experience some of the problems you've been seeing.

So start by giving us a rundown of your BIOS settings (the pertinent ones, such as caching, video settings, irq settings, AGP settings, etc.), and your IRQ assignments.

If you don't know how to find this info., let us know, and we'll help you.

- Ash

------------------
            Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.

This signature is not Copyright by anyone. Especially not some guy named Steve. Yeah. That's it. Please don't kill me, Holly.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

God, I hate onboard anything. Good for the OEM's; bad for the end-user who likes to upgrade on occasion.

I agree with Tony. At least temporarily, disable your soundcard in your BIOS and see if things improve. If they do, the problem will be localized, and maybe the IRQ experts on the forum can help you move it.

Paul
              paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

First off, my apologies to GURM. Not enough Starbucks this morning to jumpstart the brain cells.

Well, here's what I did. Disabled onboard audio, pulled out the SCSI card (leaving just the modem card), and restarted. I opened up TalkWorks PRO to see what the fax would do and...(drum roll please)...same thing. sigh...

Haven't tried the OpenGL or MS Home Pub, but regretably must advise that I've opted for another card. No names given.

Believe me, I really love the features of the G400. But it appears that there are some driver issues that conflict with some software out there.

Comment

Sorry to lose you, cputman. If you keep the old G400, perhaps you could try with the next gen. of drivers (DX7) and post your results?

Good luck sleeping with the enemy ;-)

Tony.
                  FT.

Comment

Working...
                  X