No announcement yet.

sidebanding + Athlon = SUCKS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, what questions are those? I tried looking for any questions you have asked but all I saw was your comment about the other manufacturer's motherboard. Sorry about this, i really do appreciate any help I can get.

Comment

merchant2112, make absolutely SURE that you are using the Athlon TurboGL driver, and NOT the PIII one.

Here's the sequence of events I went through to find out that the PIII, not the Athlon, TurboGL was installed.

1) Installed G400 drivers. Told it not to install the TurboGL, as I knew what file it was and didn't feel like having it scan and automagically replace the driver.

2) Stuck the appropriate driver file into HL's dir, rewrote the little text file in the gldrv folder to point to the G400's TurboGL driver (mgak7tgl.dll).

3) Tried running HL - no go (OpenGL not supported blah blah blah).

4) Tried running the pdglutil with the /refresh option - failed. Said I didn't have a TurboGL compatible CPU (as if).

5) Reinstalled the drivers, allowing the TurboGL check.

6) Rewrote the text file again. Tried running HL - crashed to the desktop.

7) Stuck the known-Athlon TurboGL driver into the HL gldrv directory. Rewrite the text file yet again.

8) Ran HL. Worked fine.

For some reason, the G400 driver install routine puts the PIII TurboGL into the game directories. Since the PIII and Athlon GL drivers are the exact same size (well, didn't check down to the byte, yet), it's hard to tell what happened.

I can't stand programs that don't give the advanced user the option of double-checking its work. I wish Matrox would get rid of that auto-TurboGL install program.
      The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
      The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
      The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

Working...
      X