"THANKYOU MATROX"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credentials....

Millenium PCI, Millenium II PCI, M3D PCI, Mystique G200, Millenium G400 MAX...

Guyv
    Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
    - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
    - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
    - 6.1 Digital Audio
    - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
    - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
    - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
    - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
    - LS120 IDE Floppy
    - Zip 100 IDE
    - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
    - NEC FE950
    - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

i'm very happy too with having a matrox...i had a mystique 170..an m3d..a g200...and now a g400 dh...
      i could only complain that matrox don't have an officiel dealer or somthing like that here in argentina....their cards are very difficult to find...and they cost a fortune...(i paid $460 for the g400..so don't cry if you have to pay +$20-40 for the max )..but i can't have any other card that isn't matrox..a friend of mine has a tnt2 ultra and he can't use the 133fsb...it;s a little faster than the g400 but the image quality is horrible.

Comment

Might as well say that for the last couple of years, I've been matrox all the way. First the day the mystique-170 was released in the UK, I had one. Then I kept that until about a fortnight before I got my hands on the G200 Mill 8mb-SD, I used an ATi Rage Pro (Urgh! NEVER again!) for that fortnight, Mystique retired to another machine. Then I traded in the SD-RAM G200 for a SG-RAM one. After getting this G200, I made sure that the new batch of PCs we got at work ALL had G200s in them. Then I got the G400 early this year, now tied up to a RR-G. Now the G200 is in my 2nd machine, and the mystique is in my dad's PC.

And I'm with Space7 - if it wasn't for Matrox, I've had never discovered the MURC 18 months or so ago, back in the good old days before GaGames.

------------------
        Cheers,
        Steve

"The chances of anything coming from Mars, are a million-to-one", he said.

[This message has been edited by SteveC (edited 22 November 1999).]

Comment

Lets's see...
          Cirrus Logic CL-GD5434
          Diamond Stealth3D 2000 (S3 ViRGE 325)
          Canopus Total 3D (Rendition Verite V1000L)
          Canopus Pure3D (3Dfx Voodoo)
          Diamond Viper V550 (Nvidia TNT)
          Canopus Pure3D II (3Dfx Voodoo2)
          ......I've had a few video cards...
          My G400MAX is the first Matrox product
          I have ever owned. Every game I play runs
          PERFECTLY and looks BEAUTIFUL! I am very
          pleased with its quality and performance!

Comment

that's right, time to say something in favor of Big M. Tho that vanilla G400 really was the weirdest thing I ever had to install, at first.

got myself a (newer) max, found the right settings, and keeps rocking (instead of locking). Using it chiefly for 2D gfx (photoshop, corel, illustrator ...), I have to say it's the best I ever had. 'bout 3D, I'm not so sure. anisotropic filtering is still a puzzle.

and here's may Matrox story: Millennium I (4 MB, upgraded to 8 later on); Mystique 170; G400 SH 32 MB; G400 MAX.

yes, Matrox, they seem to be one of the very few vid-card makers left that care for 2D at all.

Comment

Not for nothing but

I'm Going to Puke

Comment

I think there's a bag in the overhead console, LAMFDTK.

Heh-heh. Marmita- I TRIED to get the 10th Anniversary system from Gateway, but they had stopped selling them (just 1 month!) before I ordered my system. Instead I got the P5-166XL, identical to the 10th Anniversary job except for 2 things, one good, one bad. The good thing was that it had (doh! look at the system name) a Pentium 166. The bad thing was that Gateway made me take a different set of Altec-Lansing Dolby ProLogic speakers than those beautiful tower type jobs you got. I WANTED those pretty badly. Turned out okay anyway- these are still good speakers (now on my other PC, using Creative/Cambridge SoundWorks 4 Pt. Surrounds this time).

BTW CMB- I WANT one of those stickers! I have the perfect place for it on this case. Heh-heh. Maybe Matrox can start putting the stickers back in the manuals with the cards next time 'round.

------------------
                Ace
                "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                Gainward Ti4600
                AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

I COMPLETELY AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks also from Bologna (..hope we beat Galatasaray in UEFA cup this evening), Italy.

Ciao.

Daniele.

------------------
                  -------------------------
                  PIII 450 Mhz@450
                  Mobo: MS6163 PRO
                  RAM:256 Mb
                  HD: QUANTUM KA 7200 rpm 13 Gb
                  DVD SAMSUNG SD-604F
                  SBLive! (Value)
                  G400 Max 32Mb DH
                  Monitor Flatron LG FT795 plus

PIII 450 Mhz@522, fsb 115 Mhz
                  Mobo: MS6163 PRO
                  RAM:256 Mb
                  2 HDs: QUANTUM KA 7200 rpm 13 Gb, QUANTUM 8 Gb
                  DVD PIONEER 104S
                  MATSUSHITA LS-120
                  SBLive! (Value)
                  G400 Max 32Mb DH
                  Monitor Flatron LG FT795 plus
                  FaxModem 3Com U.S. Robotics 56k ext.
                  Cordless Logitech Desktop Pro
                  Joystick Microsoft Force Feedback pro
                  HP Deskjet 930C
                  O.S.: WinMe

Comment

I agree, Matrox cards are the best I have used.

It all started with a 386/33 and a Dimond Speedstar 1m ISA, there was no PCI.
                    Next came the ATI Ultra with 2m of VRAM also ISA, I thought I was the shit with this card.
                    I then upgraded to a 486/66 and bought a Matrox Millennium 2m with WRAM because of the advanced 3D features, well it said 3D on the box.
                    I added a m3D to that and still use this combo in a Pentium 200 system I put together.
                    I dropped a 8m Productiva G100 into my dual PII 333 server.
                    I upgraded the original Millennium to a Millennium G200 with an additional 8m of SGRAM in my PII 266.
                    Now the G200 moved to my girlfriends computer and I moved to a PIII 500 with a Matrox Millennium G400 Max 32m.

------------------
                    System Specs:
                    PIII 500, SE440BX-2, 256m PC-100, Matrox G400 MAX, Soundblaster Live, Hollywood Plus, WD 9g Expert, Sony DVD, 19" Sony 420GS, Hayes 56k, and Windows 98 SE
                    Workstation Specs:
                    Pentium 4 2 GHz, ASUSTek P4T-E i850, 1024 MB PC800 RDRAM, ATi Radeon 8500 64m, Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer, 3Com 3C905TX-C NIC, Western Digital 80g ATA100 HD, Sony 16x/40x DVD-ROM, Sony CD-RW 175S/C, 19" Sony 420GS, and Windows XP Pro.

Comment

I have gone through a similar upgrade path to many here. I started with the Mystique in a Gateway machine, and then bought the 2MB upgrade module. I started noticing lots of apps that didn't run as fast or look as smooth as screen shots out there.

When The M3D came out I assumed this was going to be the usual Matrox formula of home breed hardware, drivers and cards. I bought one, but my faith in what Matrox would offer was wrong. Applications such as Flight Sim 95 ran far slower with the M3D enabled than with the Mystique alone - so much for hardware "acceleration". Sure there were some enhanced arcade-like games that flew on the M3D, but they were not the applications I wanted supported in 3D.

I couldn't wait for the G200 and bought a Diamond Stealth II S220 - based on the Rendition V2100. That was a great card for 3D in its time, but the drivers from Diamond sucked big time for 2D performance and for robustness of basic features one expects from a modern video card, such as power saving suspend mode. I then knew why people were praising Matrox for robust drivers, and I could see the benefit of the chips, cards and drivers all being made by the same company. Good idea!

I bought a G200 8M in Sept 98 and then a G400 32M in Oct 99. Both OEM versions. The G400 doesn't show drastic framerate improvements over the G200 in the Final Reality benchmark. It does show about a 10%improvement in the 3Dmark. It seems the most substantial difference is in the amount of memory on the card, which helps for running applications like Fly! at 32 bit color. My G400, G200 and Stealth cards are all in use. The M3D is sitting in a shared ISA/PCI slot (neat how you can take off the bracket and still use the ISA slot if you needed to), but it isn't enabled until I run into something it will do better than the Diamond card.

What I like about Matrox aside from robustness and performance quality is the availability of OEM cards at retail outlets. I certainly wouldn't be upgrading as easily if the prices were like those of boxed TNT2 products.

Comment

Hi people...

Well... here are my cards so far!
                        Trident 9248 w 2Mb ISA (this was a beast back in 1989)
                        Spea V7 mirage 64 w 2 Mb VLB
                        S3 805 1 Mb VLB
                        Cirus Logic GD5342(or something like that) 2 Mb PCI
                        Trident 9440 1 Mb PCI
                        S3 Trio 64V+ 2 Mb PCI
                        S3 Virge 325 4Mb PCI (this one really sucked)
                        ...and then it started!
                        Got my first Matrox product. It was a second hand Millenium w 4Mb WRAM... It also kicked every other card I ever had by far.. Well that's how I got hooked... since then I bought a Voodoo I to go with my Millenium, and G200, and a few months ago a G400... The one thing that is always unbeatable with Matrox cards is unprecedented quality of image!! I don't know 'bout those Voodoo 2 freaks that had 100 frames in Q2 while I had 50 with my G200 but I surely enjoyed fragging their smoothly rendered models in half the framerate, and didn't have to use Visin drops for curing acutely bloody eyes after using a Voodoo card (any version).
                        Well... what I wanted to say is that the most interaction with the computer goes through the screen, meaning your graphic card, and I sure as hell don't have another pair of eyes stacked in the closet, in case my 2 billion frames per second card sucks out my original pair with horrible image quality and strange ways of implementing some 3D functions (remember those stripes with Voodoo I when you would get close to the textures)...

Anyway, as long as Matrox keep providing products with such superior quality, I don't mind having fewer frames than the Frankenvidia, 3dfIx IT and the rest of the gang... Thank you Matrox for looking after our eyes :-)

------------------
                        Just my humble opinion...

Specs--=>

PII 300@450 Mhz SL2W8
                        ABIT BH6 rev1.63
                        64 Mb PC133 SDRAM
                        Matrox Millenium G200 8Mb
                        HDD 4,3 Gb WDCaviar U/ATA66
                        HDD 1,6 Gb WDCaviar U/DMA33
                        Yamaha Waveforce 192XG
                        TEAC 32X ATAPI CDROM
                        MITSUMI 4X ATAPI CDROM
                        17" Macom S82
                        HP Laserjet 5L
                        Scanner, and loads of other stuff ;-)

Comment

Although I've had my fair share of problems, I can't help but agree that the G400 is the greatest graphics card I've seen so far.

Hm....... thats all

------------------
                          My CPU: PIII 500 Mhz (no oc)
                          SB Live (Full)
                          Millenium G400 32 mb DH (no MAX)
                          256 mb SDRam (No ECC)
                          ABit BE-6 mb
                          17 GB Seagate ATA 66 HDD
                          SoundWorks FPS 2000
                          US Robotics modem
                          40x NEC CD-Rom
                          17" Philips 107MB monitor