Bus mastering - what does it do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bus mastering - what does it do?

I temporarily got my shutdown problems solved by turning off bus mastering. What does it do? I read somewhere that it allows the CPU & the video card to work at the same time. If I have this turned off, what are the ramifications to performance?

Also, how can I modify the bus mastering option outside of going into properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> Options?

For some reason, when I uncheck it, I say to reboot, my machine locks up, I reset, when I get back in, it's checked again. I cannot uncheck it.
    PIII 550@605
    IWill Motherboard VD133
    VIA Chipset
    512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
    G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
    DirectX 8.0a
    SB Live! Value
    8x DVD (Toshiba)
    6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
    Intel Pro/100+ NIC
    3Com CMX Cable Modem
    Optiquest V95 19"
    HP 812C Color Ink Jet
    Microtek flatbed scanner
    Intellimouse Explorer
    Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
    AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

I was having a similar problem. When you have bus-mastering enabled, yes, your video card and your cpu work simultaneously and it makes things look really REALLY smooth. On my system, it also makes things freeze really REALLY quickly... When you disable it, games tend to run less smoothly and you need to lower your resolution (or at least I did, but I'm only running at a K6-300).

If you can't uncheck it from where you said, try doing it either through safe mode (I don't know if that will work but just do properties ... options) and if you can't do that, download the Powerdesk Resolution Manager and uncheck it from there. Damn, now I see why I'm retaking english in college. I can't write for crap... I think there is also a way to force bus-mastering off from the reg hacks but I'm not sure. Good luck
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Working...
    X