Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone with Ms 6167 and G400 please answer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with Ms 6167 and G400 please answer!

I've a new system with Athlon 500 and g400 DH
    that is driving me crazy for vxd errors and reboot and reboot. I have installed all the new drivers and Bios
    If anyone have this configuration could he be so kind to advice me?
    I have few questions
    1) what to put in the Bios for the AGP band size (32,128 or 256)
    2) Is it true that g400 requires Irq 10 or 11 (this with Amd 756 chipset can be done only in the Bios turning into legacy isa the Irq the you don't want the g400 to take
    3) Is it true that switching to Agp 1x can solve the problem? How can I do this?
    Thanks a lot

Athlon 500 ms6167 Pc133 250W ps2mouse Mx300(with vortex drivers) W98 (not the S.E. one)

Hi
    Yes You are right I have a philips DVD 6x
    and a Quantum 13CX.
    The error messages are of the kind of voltrak.vxd
    Should I put something different in the BIOS instead ofleaving Auto to the IDE controller?

Other problems are occasionaly reboots,
    G400.drv has generated general fault and will be shutted down at KERNEL 32 error.
    LOADER error, the program has done an irreversible action and it will be stopped (error in e.......). I know the mouse problem
    and because of this I used an old PS2 mouse

I see that there is a small partition of the memory shared between Amd busmaster controller and the controller of IDE

Thanks a lot for your help

Comment

Following your advice I managed to solve the problem with the Dvd but I still have problems with my Matrox. SOmetimes the video freezes and I get some coloured straps.
      I have also a shared interrupt level between Amd bus controller and the second bus mastering ide (the one of the dvd)
      Should I put something in the Bios instead of Auto for the Ide controller?
      I use Pnp os yes and I put irq5 and irq 9 to legacy isa to force the Matrox to use Irq10

Comment

no leave auto on its ok.

the matrox card i think i have the answer to that one. maybe maybe not i think i just solved it my self. only it was my open gl that was giveing me the most lockups. heres what i did.

i deleted my old powerdesk 5.3 files and redownloaded them from matrox along with the 104 bios file.

i then used the uninstaller utility but did not reboot when it told me to. i opened the regeditor and searched for any matrox remains found some and delteted them. now i rebooted and followed the normal install procedure for the standard vga pcii driver rebooted as instruted by windows. once the standard vga driver was installed i rebooted one more time but this time to a clean boot floppy. i then changed to the dir where i put the bios update files ran the dos update over writeing my old bios (even though it was the same revision, becuase at one point in time i had used power strip with this card it may have messed up the bios just a little so i wanted to make sure it was right. also i originaly used the windows based bios utill to flash 1.5.22 and that may have also been my problem.

after flashing the bios i rebooted to windows and used the 5.3 setup utility. rebooted as required to finsih the install.

i then searched the hard drive and deleted the opengl32.dll that the turbo gl manager put in my halflife dir. a copyed the mgatglk7.dll file to the halflife gldrv dir (where you will find the 3dfxmini.dll) and then i added the line

mgatglk7.dll = matrox turbo gl

to the drvmap.txt file, saved it and opened halflife i then changed teh open gl driver from defualt witch allways crashed my system to a locked screen or the bars you are talking about in under 3min of play if i got that far to matrox turbo gl insureing that i am useing the right gl driver for halflife. ran the game for 30 min straight no problems so far.

my point maybe my drivers were corupt maybe my bios was corupt maybe halflife dont like the way the turbogl driver was installed by the manager who knows but it seems to have solved my lock up problems. try it can't hurt. oh if you have never flashed a bios before read the directions carefully

one other thing i dont know if its makeingin a difrence but i am useing a non beta release of the msi 6167 bios ver 1.4 that i downloaded from slota.com tehy don't know what it fixed but it did not add any new funtions but may have fixed something dont know im just letting you know that im useing it.

------------------
        my system has arived. all together and if i new about the usb bug in 98 with this board i would have been fiished a lot sooner.

msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650.(not overclocked its a real 650 they underclcoked.) 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic and 56k ext modem, xitel p storm sound card. lots of controlers joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel, and 19in monitor, usb logitech mouse.

i found the fix for the mouse hang problem.

msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
        it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

what is the vxd that is erroring is it voltrack.vxd and cdusd.vxd? if so it is a hardware in compatablity. with your cdrom.dvd drive and the ide controler driver.(guess) thire are two ways to fix it 1 keep a cd in the drive all the time what i did at first. and two replace the drive.

i used to have a cl5x dvd in the system it would crash the comp every time unless i keept a cd in the drive during boot up. the problem went away when i upgraded to a aopen 1040 pro drive (pioneer 10x 40x slot drive.)other than that have you installed the amd ide and agp mini drivers before installing the g400 installing the agp driver after the g400 will crash it every time. give us some more detail ive worked out almost every bug thier is with the ms6167 and my hard ware (only opengl is giveing me a real head ache rightnow.)

------------------
          my system has arived. all together and if i new about the usb bug in 98 with this board i would have been fiished a lot sooner.

msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650.(not overclocked its a real 650 they underclcoked.) 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic and 56k ext modem, xitel p storm sound card. lots of controlers joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel, and 19in monitor, usb logitech mouse.

irq's for my system 5 usb, 9 video 10 sound card, 11 nic, 12 isa (i use a usbmouse) 14 ide no devices shareing any irq's

mobo bios 1.4 non beta(have noidea what it dose but it works) i might try rearangeing my cards again to see if i can get the g400 higher that may be my problem withopen gl and direct x lockups. (i definitly do not have a problem with heat the comp is in a basementroom 7 fans and the air comeing out of all exhuast ports is cool cpu is cool to toutch ect... )g400 should be ok on irq9 or higher but who knows maybe greebe could answer that one for us.

[This message has been edited by merchant2112 (edited 30 November 1999).]

[This message has been edited by merchant2112 (edited 30 November 1999).]
          msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel

Comment

I'm on an MSI 6167, with a G400 MAX.

- Board is BIOS 1.3
            - Driver set is 5.30
            - Installed the updated AGP driver from AMD
            - Installed the appropriate board INF file and drivers that came with the board.
            - AGP apeture at 256MB
            - NO BIOS caching options enabled on the board. That means NO video BIOS caching, no BIOS cashing, etc.
            - The G400 is on IRQ 9 right now. It was on IRQ 11 on a previous install of Win98. No problems.

I'm running fine. UT and OppFor occasionally bomb out, but I'm fairly certain that's the games themselves, not the drivers (regular HL, no problems).

The TurboGL problem that merchant2112 has described was one I had described here before. For some reason, Matrox's installer installes the PIII version of the driver, not the Athlon (they ARE different).

I've got an Athlon 550 and a 300 watt power supply, with 165watts to the rails that power the mainboard. Make sure you're using an approved power supply with the motherboard - Athlons are very power hungry.

Oh, and junk 98 and get 98SE. 98 used to crash on me all the time (so bad I had to go back to 95's shell). 98SE is quite a bit more stable.

Hope this helps.

------------------
            Primary System: Athlon 550, MSI 6167 mb w/BIOS 1.3, 3x128MB PC100 ECC SDRAM CAS2, G400 MAX in multi-monitor mode, Two Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 900u monitors, Intel Pro/100+ Management Adapter, SoundBlaster Live!, DeskTop Theater DTT2500 DIGITAL Speaker System (Sweeeeeet!), WDC WD20 5AA 20GB HD, WD AC310100 10GB HD, Toshiba SD-M1212 6x DVD-ROM, HP 8100i CD-RW, Epson Stylus Pro, OptiUPS PowerES 650, MS SideWinder Precision Pro USB joystick, Gravis Xterminator gamepad (no DX7 drivers yet), Logitech 3-button mouse, Mitsumi keyboard, Win98 SE, Belkin OmniCube 4-port KVM, 10/100 5-port Linksys Ethernet switch, Epson 1200u scanner, Epson Stylus Pro printer, Logitech QuickCam Pro with the little stand and the lense kit (cool).

Secondary System: PIII-450, Soyo 6BA+ IV, 1x128MB PC100 ECC SDRAM CAS2, Millennium G200 AGP, V2 SLI rig, Intel Pro/100+ Management Adapter, SoundBlaster 32, WD AC41800 18GB HD, Creative Dxr3 DVD decoder card, Hitachi GD-2500 6x DVD-ROM, Win98 SE

Tertiary System: PII-266, Asus P2B BIOS 1008, 1x128MB PC100 ECC SDRAM CAS2, Millennium II, 3Com 3C905, 3Com 3C509, ADSL Modem 640kbit down/90kbit up, Mylex BT-930 SCSI card, Seagate 2GB Hawk, Seagate 1GB Hawk, Quantum DLT 4000 tape drive, NEC 6x CD-ROM, Linux distro S.u.S.E. 6.1 (IP Masquerade works!)

Quaternary System: Ocean Rhino 9 motherboard w/Intel 430HX chipset, P200MMX, 4x64MB EDO Parity RAM, Millennium II, 3Com 3C590, SoundBlaster 16 MCD, Fujitsu 3.5GB HD, WD 1.2GB HD, Haven't chosen an OS yet.

And a JetDirect EX print server that bootp's its address from the Tertiary System.

All specs subject to change.

-The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
            The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
            The engineer says: "I put half of my water
            in a redundant glass."
            The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
            The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
            The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

ice what inf file are you talking about? i only know about the two driver files from amd and of corse the power desk drivers themself.
              are you saying you found i inf file for the msiboard or that you just installed the inf file for the g400 (with out useing powerdesk?)

------------------

noel

Comment

Working...
              X