Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 Sharing IRQ.... How to move?

Hey,

I read some of McReas post, but he has a different computer than me, so I couldn't figure out how to move irq's on my comp. Here's my IRQ listing:

0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 (free)
    4 (free)
    5 U.S. Robotics 56K Voice INT
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 (free)
    10 Vortex AU8830 Sound Blaster Pro Emulation
    10 Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead - English
    10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    11 Vortex AU8830 PCI Audio
    11 Vortex AU8830 Multifunction PCI Platform
    11 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

Thing is... I haven't noticed any system problems even though the G400 is sharing irq's with two other devices. But I would like to have it on IRQ 9 (just in case). System spces to follow. Thanks for your help.

------------------
    Abit BH6, Celeron 450, Matrox G400 32mb "MAX", 256mb ram, IBM 10GB, DVD 5x, MX300

Abit BH6
    Celeron 450
    Matrox G400 32mb "MAX"
    256MB PC100 RAM
    IBM 10GB 7200rpm HDD
    Creative Labs DVD 5x
    Mitsumi 4x/2x/8x CD-RW
    Monster Sound MX300
    USR 56K Modem
    ADi 6P (19" Monitor)
    Windows ME

Apply the saying if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    You can share Irq's so only worry about it if you get a problem.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Pretty easy one if the IRQ sharing bothers you. If you don't need SB Pro emulation (and you probably don't), disable it in Device Manager.

Comment

Echowars is right, if your not playing any DOS based games then disable the Emulation in the device manager.

Paul
        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Both are right disable the emulation or if it aint broke don't fix rule. But if you are determined to play with configuration. Move the soundcard to another slot, usually IRQ's are hard wired on the Mother Board hence the move should cause a shift. But remember who's to say the sound card won't pick another IRQ to share with something else??

------------------
          Life is what you make it. Boy did I make it suck!!
          Life is what you make it. Boy did I make it suck!!

Comment

My G400max is running on irq-9. I thought i read somewhere that the g400 needs the higher irq's. What is the higher irq range??

Comment

Don't ask why, but IRQ 9 IS one of the highest in the priority chain. As I understand it, they run 0,1, then 2&9 together,10 thru 15, then 3 thru 8. Others will recommend which is best for your G400...just don't be confused by the numeric designation. It all has to do with early IBM architecture.
              Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
              CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
              Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

IRQ priority goes 0,1,2(which cascade controls all irqs above 9),9-15,3-8.

This makes 9-11 the best choice for any video card.
                Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Thanks!! I'll leave it at 9

Comment

Here is how the IRQ's work and there order of priority: 0,1,2,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,3,4,5,6,7,8 the reason for this is that the IRQs are created using 2 IRQ chips (the 8259 Controller) IRQs used to be only up to 8 with previous systems (8086 and 8088) to allow for greater expandability, we had to incorporate another Controller chip (the second 8259 chip) Thus we use the first controller for 0 and 1 (System Timer and Keyboard) then Cascade IRQ 2 to 9, so if you check what is on IRQ 2 it states "Programmable Interrupt Controller" thus the new order of non linear IRQs begins (0,1,2,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,3,4,5,6,7,8). So when you ask about IRQ 5 for video it is considered to low. If your video card is on 5 and all is fine the old rule applies "If it ain't broke don't fix it", but if errors begin then a recommend location for a video card is any IRQ from 9-12. Of course sharing is not recommended other than being with an IRQ holder for PCI steering (each major device requires it to properly utilize the IRQ).

[This message has been edited by J.B. Matrox Tech (edited 05 December 1999).]

Comment

Working...
                    X