No announcement yet.

If you’re all so clever sort this ….

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the pci slot next to the agp slot free?
    Many times these 2 slots share resources and cause conflicts
    In bios is it set to agp?
    Is video shadowing disabled?
    Have you uninstalled old drivers and installed the new ones as instructed?
    (Setting card to vga-standard vga,rebooted and intall the drivers)
    Have yiu loaded in different patches for your games?
    Have you gotten the matrox card and pci steering isolated on 1 irq?

Comment

hey !..men ! just dont give up...because TOMB R.4 BUMPED looks sooo great ...Rogue Spear , Wheel of Time , Half-Life Opposing Force..huh..huuuuu..men you gona like this,
      1024x768x32 32bit zbf ON Vsync ON runs so smooooth !..aha ....THNX MATROX,THNX for such a beauty ..

------------------
      PIII450@465,P2b,128mb,Matrox Mill-G400 32SH,SB.Live !(value)...

PIII650@806(fsb@124),ASUS P3B-F,128mb,Matrox Mill-G400 32SH,SB.Live!vlue ,IntelliMouse Explorer

Comment

upsssss...sorry ... I forgot that you hve only G200....but still dont give up !....

------------------
        PIII450@465,P2b,128mb,Matrox Mill-G400 32SH,SB.Live !(value)...

PIII650@806(fsb@124),ASUS P3B-F,128mb,Matrox Mill-G400 32SH,SB.Live!vlue ,IntelliMouse Explorer

Comment

Hi Hank,

have a look into your MoBo's BIOS and search for VGA Boot Sequence or something similar. If neccessary change to AGP first, AGP/PCI or whatever your options are.

Assign IRQ to VGA set in BIOS
          Set that one to Auto or Default.

Make sure your desktop is either set to 16bpp or 32bpp.

And report back ... we'll figure out what's going wrong.

------------------
          Cheerio,
          Maggi

Home rig:
          Celeron333A @ 500MHz
          Asus P2B-S @ 100MHz FSB
          2x 128MB CAS2 SDRAM
          Matrox G400 @ 150/200MHz core/mem clock
          ... and some other goodies ...

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
          Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
          be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
          4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
          2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
          OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
          4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
          Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
          Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
          LG BH10LS38
          LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

What Cjolley said and what Haig said are _Very_ important. Also, not only do you want to try your G200 in someone elses machine, but your memory and cpu. Put a known good G200 in your present system as well. Do all thinkable combinations between yours and his, parts wise,until you get it. I had a bad motherboard last year and it was a pain to diagnose, but I got it done and replaced under warranty. We'll get it.

------------------
            AssuP2B ,iCeleron525(7x75), 128megs PC100, G40032megSH, Yamaha PCI sound, 2 small HD's, 42X Sony CDrom and 98SE w/shutdown patch, PD 5.30 w/beta ICD

AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

The only think which totally removed ALL lock-ups for me (though on G400 DH 32Mb) was forcing AGP to 1x (you can do it by setting the Registry value for AGPFallback to "0"). You can also try to fully disable AGP support via MSCONFIG.

Andre

Comment

the only thing i've seen like this was when i was trying to run the matrox tech demo w/o agp enabled. i was using win95b and found out that for my setup, the usbsup.exe on the win95 cd needed to be installed _before_ the mb busmastering drivers were installed. you might not have the same os probs, but check to see if agp dis/enabled might be pooping things up.

8¬)

------------------
                p2 266@300 (4x75mhz) | qdi legend-v, lx chipset, bios 2.0sl | 96 mb pc100 | mill g200agp@99mhz 8mb sg, bios 2.6, pd 5.3 | win 98se
                p2 266@300 (4x75mhz) | qdi legend-v, lx chipset, bios 2.0sl | 96 mb pc100 | mill g200agp@99mhz 8mb sg, bios 2.6, pd 5.52 | win 98se

Comment

Gone back to basics over the weekend.

Have clean build of Win 98. No other cards in system - still locking up.

In reply to some of the suggestions:

- PCI slot next to AGP is free
                  - Video shadowing is disabled
                  - G200 is on its own IRQ only shared with PCI steering
                  - BIOS is set to intialise AGP first (only option re AGP that I can see in the BIOS setup)

I don't have access to either a known good G200 or another system that has an AGP slot !!

=========================================
                  How do I check whether AGP x1 or x2 ?
                  How do I change it ?
                  =========================================

Thankyou for all your continuing efforts ...
                  Keep the suggestions coming.

Comment

AGP speed can be checked with e.g. Sisoft Sandra ("mainboard information", find AGP Bus, Current Data Transfer Rate will show either 1x 67Hz or 2x 133 Hz).

There were few references on Registry hacks in this forum, I hope someone will post it for you.
                    ONLY if you feel confident, go to Start-Run and type REGEDIT. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>System>CurrentControlSet>Servic es>Class>Display>0000>Settings>CPU
                    (sounds a long way, but it is actually quite simple). Now check if you have a string <AGPFallback>. If it exists and the value is "1", you are on 2x transfer rate. Double click on it and change the value to "0".
                    If the string does not exist, go via menu to Edit>New>String Value, change the name to <AGPFallback> and set the value to "0".
                    If you're running Win98 and you make an error, it should not be fatal - in this case Registry will be automatically restored (or so they promise - have not tried). In Win95, print the help item about restoring Registry - in case something goes terribly wrong.

Hope it will help!

Andre

Comment

Hi Hank,

grab http://www.entechtaiwan.com/files/pcilist.exe a tool to check a couple of system details

You'll find the reg-patches on Ant's homepage www.murc.ws in the utlilites section or grab 'em from here: http://www.murc.ws/Utils/PD5RegHacks.zip

------------------
                      Cheerio,
                      Maggi

Home rig:
                      Celeron333A @ 500MHz
                      Asus P2B-S @ 100MHz FSB
                      2x 128MB CAS2 SDRAM
                      Matrox G400 @ 150/200MHz core/mem clock
                      ... and some other goodies ...

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                      Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                      be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                      4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                      2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                      OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                      4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                      Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                      Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                      LG BH10LS38
                      LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Have tried the registry hack to force AGP x 1. This seems a little better - there must be a whole microsecond of movement on screen before it locks!!

RE: suggestions to load usbsup.exe - I am running Win 98 which installs the bus mastering drivers by itself ?? - does the same apply ?

Comment

You don't need USBSUPP in Win98. It is necessary for Win95 only.

What you need in a GART driver. If your motherboard has Intel chipset, the driver is in Win98. Otherwise you need the GART driver for your chipset - get it from the website of the chipset manufacturer - VIA or ALi.

You don't need bus mastering driver, since this is the bus mastering driver for ATA devices (hard disks). Bus mastering of graphics card is controlled solely by the graphics driver.

Comment

Have you tried all that is suggested on Matrox's FAQ web page?
                            http://www.matrox.com/mga/tech_supp/faq/games.htm#I am having problem with my D3D games, what can I check to make them work

Comment

i found out recently that you have to reboot your system after applying the 1x agp reg hack in ordewr for it to take effect. also uninstalling and reinstalling your video drivers undose this change and puts your system back to defualt. try the hack again reboot and then try your game. (that has been my problem all tthe time. read so im an idiot you'll get more than a full discription of what ive been going though.)

------------------
                              my system has arived. all together and if i new about the usb bug in 98 with this board i would have been fiished a lot sooner.

msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650.(not overclocked its a real 650 they underclcoked.) 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic and 56k ext modem, xitel p storm sound card. lots of controlers joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel, and 19in monitor, usb logitech mouse.

i found the fix for the mouse hang problem.

[This message has been edited by merchant2112 (edited 02 December 1999).]
                              msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
                              it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

Just in case anyone is interested ....

It turned out to be a faulty board - all that sweat and tears !!

Comment

Working...
                                X