OK,anyone good with soldering stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK,anyone good with soldering stuff?

This is probably in the wrong forum but, Ihave a big problem. In fact my friend has

He's been fiddling around with his mobo and broke a pin in the slot, doh!
    That shouldn't be such a problem cause he has a Celeron 370 on a socket-slot adaptor, and all we have to do is solder a piece of wire connecting mobo and adaptor on the required places... Has anyone done something like that, or has an idea how to get this done...

Come on murcers, help me out!

Get a sodering gun, some copper wire (or whatever the pin is made out - I assume copper although I've personally never broken them to look ), and some iron sodering wire (again, I THINK it's iron). I've been away from a working garage for a long time so I'm a little rusty...
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Do you mean the spring contacts in the slot that contact the card edge when it is inserted?

Don't put a soldering gun anywhere near pcb's and such components. Most guns are far to hot for soldering such things and usually only cause further damage. Only use a low wattage iron - and ensure that it and you are static grounded while working. Most electronics solder is 60/40 tin/lead mix with a rosin core, although you can get newer solders with little or no lead in them.

If it is the motherboard that is damaged I suggest taking it to a qualified technician (or very skilled amateur if you know one). Motherboards are multilayer with plated through holes and require careful work.

------------------
      Dean
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
      PDP-11, Dec-writer & ZD-11 Terminal Unit, RSTS-OS

[This message has been edited by Holerith (edited 07 December 1999).]
      PDP-11, Dec-writer & ZD-11 Terminal Unit, RSTS-OS

Comment

Holerith is right but static is not as much of a problem as one might think! I ICQ'd ya

------------------
        Designer of the first Athlon mod. Currently marketing the "Eclipse" through AZZO Computers.
        Anyone up for an Eclipse'd Athlon 850? Email me for more information

2836 mips, 1.107 gflops @ 850 mHz 1:3 latency
        CPUmark99 70.7

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Yep... it worked in case anyone wants to know! And Holerith, I am a high skilled amateur (very modest of me to say so )... It wasn¹t the first time I repaired a mobo and soldered stuff on a PCB of some sort... Just wanted to know if someone had a better idea about fixing that spring contact, or anyone already had exactly the same problem and how he fixed it...

Comment

Working...
          X