Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU #2

Hi all,

ever since i installed the latest beta driver into win2k rc2(2128) my second cpu is always at approx 40%, even now as i'm typing this post with nothing else running. i don't have a clue as to why, i do know that this was not the case before i installed the new beta drivers(5.0.007).

i have noticed that i have 2 instances of a process called "svchost.exe" running, one is using 6k and the other is using 2.2k. power desk is using 2.3k. anyways i'm not having any real problems that i wouldn't expect from beta drivers and a beta os, i was just curious if anybody has any idea.

Platform Configuration:

Motherboard: AMI MegaRUM II,dual 600Mhz PIII processors(installed), each with a 32/512 Cache configuration. 512 Mb of PC100, 8ns memory. Symbios Logic 53C896 U2W SCSI controllers. Intel 443GX Xeon chipset.

SCSI I/O:

Channel 1(LVD/U2): 4 Seagate LVD Cheetah 18LP, ST39103LW Ultra2 Wide SCSI-3 hard Drives, each with 1024k cache.

Channel 2(SE): JAZ 2GB internal, Plex-Writer 8/20, Pioneer DVD-303s ultra-scsi DVD reader and 2 UltraPlex-Wide 17/40 speed CD-ROM Dives.

USB: USB Zip Drive, Dual Strike game controller

Networking: The network adapter is a 3Com 3C509B-TX PCI adapter and a US Robotics Courier V.Everything 33.6/28.8/x2/V.90 internal ISA modem.

Video: Matrox G400 Max with Dual Head. The primary display is a Panasonic PanaSync E21, .25-dot pitch, 20" viewable; the secondary display is a Viewsonic flat panel display model VP150.

Multi-media: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live PCI Bus Mastering sound card. Speaker system are the Cambridge Works FPS2000
    Digital speaker system.

[This message has been edited by Chucky Cheese (edited 08 December 1999).]

Nice system! Uhh i have no idea, i just thought i should tell you how awesome that system is!

------------------
    PIII 450 @ 464
    generic BX6 motherboard
    G400 MAX : )
    Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 33
    Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 66
    Creative 36x CD-ROM
    HP 2x2x6x CD-RW
    64 megs PC100 RAM
    Intel 10/100
    Soundblaster 32 AWE
    DiamondMAX 56k
    Logitech Wireless Desktop (best $50 ive ever spent)
    1 92mm Sunon Fan
    4 80mm Sunon Fan's
    <a href="http://www.tweak3d.net">www.tweak3d.net</a>

Comment

CC,
      My system is somewhat like yours. After the RC2 update and installing the latest G400(max) drivers i haven't seen any unusual processor usage. Idle is about 0% sometimes 1-2. Did the RC2 upgrade change around your swapfile settings? Some strange stuff happened here and i manually reset it to the drive i wanted it on and set it to a fixed size.
      You can use the performance monitor to list out the CPU usage for each thread running on your system. Then you can get an idea of what/where the problem is. Also check out the interrupts per second for each CPU they should each be less than about 150 per second at idle.
      One time i had a very bad optical connection (at the scource not the PC) to my SB Live. It was using over 50% CPU usage but nothing showed up in the task list. Tracked it down with the PerfMon.

Good Luck

Comment

Hmmmm!!! Your problem is that the PIII processor is not compatible with the GX chipset you can not even get the processor to fit in the slot!!!!!
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

thanks for the compliments on my system!!!

peter555...scsi id 0 is configured for a dual-boot between win98se and win2k, all the other drives are fat32. my swap file didn't change and my registry is 4.1 megs. i had to uninstall the performance counters because they were causing errors. i posted a topic on this bbs called "screwy irqs", because my irqs for some of my hardware are real high, like 128 for the sblive...etc.

anyways, thanks for the suggestions...

chucky

Comment

Guru. go to http://www.ami.com/
            its a dual P3 mobo usin GX chip.
            Stefan

Comment

Task manager should show you which process is the CPU hog.

I also have a 2 CPU now running build 2183 (but I did run 2128 for a while), but I've never had any processes hogging the CPU.

Comment

Likewise, COOL SYSTEM.

Sorry, no help here either

Ghydda, still not convinced that PIII is the way to just yet...
                As I always say: You can get more with a kind word and a 2-by-4 than you can with just a kind word.
                My beloved Parhelia was twotiming with Dan Wood - now she's gone forever and all I got is this lousy T-shirt
                |Stolen Rig|RetroGames Rig|Workstation Rig|Server Rig|

Comment

Sorry!

------------------
                  PIII450@558, ABIT BX6-2, 256RAM, G400MAX, SBLIVE
                  According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Does anyone know about those svchost.exes anyway?
                    I have 2 of them runnin' myself, both taking about 2-3MB.

Oh, I just realized it's probably "service host" running services like network protocols etc. in the backround.
                    (A new svchost.exe for every service; I got to that by searching the registry)

_
                    B

[This message has been edited by Buuri (edited 09 December 1999).]

Comment

hey burri,

if that was the case then there would be a lot more than 2 instances of it. i thought that the "services" applet in the administration folder in control panel was how services were managed. as far as i know power desk does not run as a service, and i don't remember if it was in the process list before i installed the new beta drivers.

one last thing, i am not able to set processor affinity in this build of win2k, i hope that the final release has this. is there a way that i can view what process is running on what cpu??

chucky

[This message has been edited by Chucky Cheese (edited 09 December 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Chucky Cheese (edited 09 December 1999).]

Comment

Check with your motherboard MFG. I have an Asus P2B-DS. One of the processors was always at 50%. The problem is with ACPI. I had two choices, 1) reinstall Windows 2000 and force a non-ACPI kernel (by pressing F5 when it asks if you have to load any special drivers) or 2) send the board back to Asus to have some resistors modified.

------------------
                        Dual P3-450@504 - Asus P2B-DS - 128MB PC100 - Matrox G400Max - Sony 21" GDM-500PS - Diamond MX300 - 9.1GB Seagate Cheetah (2nd gen) - Pioneer 6X DVD - 3Com 10/100 - Hauppauge Win-TV Theater - A partridge in a pear tree =)
                        Dual P3-450@504 - Asus P2B-DS - 384MB PC100 - Matrox G400Max - Sony 21" GDM-500PS - Diamond MX300 - 40GB Diamondmax Plus 40 HDD - Pioneer 6X DVD - Plextor 8/20 CD-R - 3Com 10/100 - Hauppauge Win-TV Theater

Comment

CC,
                          Something went wrong somewhere with your RC2 install. My install was a clean one. Did you upgrade from a prior release? On my system i can set processor affinity from the task manager, just like in NT4.0.
                          As far as the interrputs go, the high numbers are normal with a Dual Proc system. Not to worry. There is a completely different way of handling interrupts in a DP system and NT reports things differently. If i understand correctly there are 24 interrupts total. The old 16 from the ISA/AT legacy plus "INT-A thru INT-D" for the PCI bus, plus a few more to hook things together, or something like that.

Comment

Working...
                          X