New G400 problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New G400 problems

I have a new G400 that won't run in my system at any setting other than 640x480 @16 color. I tried it in my test system (503+) and it ran fine with all the drivers. I have used the uninstaller to get rid of everything and try again (several Times)and still no luck in my main system. If I set it to 800x600 @16K and reboot it locks up before getting back into windows.

system:
    K6-3 400
    Epox MVP3G5
    256 Micron Cas 2 PC100
    Teac CDR56S
    Adaptec scsi card for burner (IRQ4)
    Teac floppy
    V3 3K (right now sorry)(IRQ11)
    40X CD
    Iomega IDE Zip
    AWE64 Gold ( IRQ5)
    IBM GXP22 13.5GB Udma66 HD
    CL Modem Blaster DI5601 ISA (IRQ3)
    D-Link Ethernet card ( IRQ 9 )
    MS PS/2 Mouse ( IRQ 12)
    USB Port ( IRQ 11 )
    Thanks for any help

Assign an irq to your video card in your bios?

Comment

Yep I did, I have the agp set to 128 also that is the highest it goes on this board with the current Bios.
      also I have DX7 installed, but I was having the same trouble with DX6.1.
      Also, when I first put this card in it installed and worked fine for about a hour on this motherboard, I ran a few benchs for about a hour and then rebooted and then all the trouble started.

[This message has been edited by Jeff M (edited 07 December 1999).]

Comment

Hi Jeff,
        Follow these steps exactly, and you should be fine:

Download the new G400 drivers (which you have already =) ), download the 4in1 driver pack from Via, download the uninstall utility from Matrox, run the uninstall utility, reboot switch to standard Vga adapter and reboot, install the 4in1 driver pack in normal mode reboot and go into your bios and disable "read around write" save settings and exit, boot into windows and run the setup for PD, reboot and you should be up to speed.

Rags

------------------
        Which one is Floyd, and why isn't he Pink???

Comment

Thanks, to late tonight but I'll give that a shot tomorrow night after work and I'll let you know if it worked

Comment

Is it just me or are those via chipsets a big problem child? I think there should be a disclaimer before posting that says "if you are using the via chipset go here and download all these patches."

------------------
            Get Paid to Surf the Web! <A HREF="http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=CBM-295
            " TARGET=_blank>http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=CBM-295
            </A>
            Asus K7V
            Athlon 700
            128mb PC133 HSDRAM
            Matrox Millennium g400max
            Adaptec 2940U2W
            IBM 9gb U2W
            Plextor 8/20 cdr
            Diamond MX300
            3com 905b-tx

Comment

1. My G400 runs on Epox MVP3G-M with all the dangerous options set to Enabled. (G200 was more sensitive).

2. The VIA 4in1 driver is not a PATCH, it's simply a collection of drivers necessary to run various components of the mmotherboard correctly, AGP (GART) being probably the most crucial one.

Comment

I'm running a G200 SD on an Epox MVP3G-M with all the "dangerous" settings enabled, no problems at all. The Via AGP 3.55 driver seems to work better than the new 3.56 though. I have encountered a similar problem before. I would first have to change it to 16-bit color, then reboot. After that, I could set any resolution I wanted without a problem. Also make sure that USB is enabled in the BIOS, it can cause similar problems if it isn't.

------------------
                I say "Here's a monkey wrench... If you bop me over the head with it long enough I might wake up for a second."

"I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."

Comment

Thanks Guys, I haven't had time to mess with it anymore yet and now I'm going to wait till Saturday, my new Athlon and K7M will be here tomorrow and that gets changed first.

[This message has been edited by Jeff M (edited 09 December 1999).]

Comment

Working...
                  X