G200 UGLY Dithering/Banding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G200 UGLY Dithering/Banding

I noticed it the first time I installed the G200 when it was hot off the assembly line. I upgraded from a S3VirgeDX 4 meg to the Millenium G200 8 meg and on the menu screen for the Freespace Demo the pre-rendered picture had banding with the G200 whereas it did not with the S3 card.

Since then I've had significant banding in several games. In Chessmaster the background and pieces are all dithered and they should not be (I've checked with the makers of Chessmaster who of course pointed the finger at Matrox). In Rainbow six the sky is badly banded (it's positively ugly).

I've tried un-installing and re-installing drivers, I've tried upgrading directX and then re-installing drivers, I've had the problem with every version of driver for the G200. Changing driver settings, resolutions, and color depths (where I am able to) does not seem to make any difference.

Am I the only one who has this problem? Is there any fix for it?

It's pretty bad when an S3VirgeDX had better picture quality than a G200... (I even went back and re-installed the S3 card just to verify that I was remembering correctly and I was...)

-Rob.

[This message has been edited by pawnpusher (edited 10 December 1999).]
Working...
X