Q3 Vsync bug with DH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q3 Vsync bug with DH?

Thank you Matrox for the new TGL !!! You gave us a nice christmas present :-)

But I have some problems with it in Q3.

I have installed the latest powerdesk (5.41) last week. Everything OK..no problems at all.

Today I downloaded the new TGL drivers and everything was ok. I started up Q3A and was impressed by the higher fps. No problems so far.

30 minutes later I wanted to play Q3A again and when the intro animation (the ID logo) should appear, my screen turned white and the system crashed (white screen).

I rebooted and disabled the turboGL drivers. Now my system didn't crash, but my screen went white with a very fast scrolling black bar on it. I could hear the sounds and everything worked ok (except the screen). This was exactly thesame behaviour when I tried to disable the Vsync feature with MGAtweak. I solved it last time by uninstalling powerdesk with the uninstall prog (from the utils section) and reinstalling it. This way, all settings are erased.

Again (after the reinstallation), I could start Q3A only once (with the TGL). The 2nd time, it showed again the white screen and a total crash.

The next reboot, I disabled the dualhead (desktop expanding) feature (not just the 2nd monitor). After the required restart, I started Q3A again (without changing a thing since the last crash), and everything worked OK...

Before the next reboot (and the last one before I wrote this message :-) I turned the dualhead back on, and now Q3A crashes again.

I would guess that when dualhead is enabled, Q3 has a problem if the Vsync setting is disabled. And that the TGL driver disable it by default.

Has anyone had thesame problems? (I also tried powerdesk5.3, but it had thesame problem).

BC547 aka Dirk

PS. I run Q3 in 800/600 in 'highest quality' mode.

Celeron300A@464
    128meg ram
    G400max, Not sharing IRQ's and it is on irq12
    Powerdesk 5.41
    Lastest TGL
    SBLive
    Dlink530+ networkcard
    Hauppauge WinTV PCI

Forgot to mention:
    I'm using Win98se

BC547 aka Dirk

Comment

I guess you didn't know, but Q3 is an OpenGL based game and OpenGL was never meant to support more than one display ...

So if anything that uses OpenGL runs, despite having DH enabled, one should donate a big thank you to matrox for making a workaround or something like that ...

------------------
      Cheers,
      Maggi

Working Rig:
      Asus P2B-DS @ 103MHz FSB
      Double Pentium III-450 @ 464 MHz
      4 x 128MB CAS2 SDRAM
      Matrox Millennium G400 32MB DualHead
      Eye-Q 777 (22" with 127kHz) on primary VGA
      Nokia 445Xi (21") on secondary VGA

Home Rig:
      Asus P2B-S Bios 1010 @ 100MHz FSB
      Celeron 333A @ 500MHz
      2 x 128MB CAS2 SDRAM
      Matrox Millennium G400 32MB DualHead @ 150/200MHz
      CTX VL710T (17")
      and a brand new Pioneer 303S SCSI-DVD
      Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
      Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
      be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
      4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
      2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
      OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
      4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
      Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
      Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
      LG BH10LS38
      LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

maggi,

I'm not trying to run it on 2 monitors. When I want to play Q3, I disable the 2nd monitor, but I don't disable dualhead since that would require a reboot (and a lot of time). It worked perfectly before when I leave DH enabled and turn the 2nd monitor off in the control panel with PD5.41. And it runs perfectly this way the first time with the TGL.

I only have a problem when the Vsync is disabled in the registry (If I disable the Vsync with MGAtweak, I have thesame crashes and behaviour). I guess the new TGL disables this by default. So after a clean install, I can only run Q3 once. After that the Vsync is disabled, and it doesn't work anymore.

The only way to get it working again is to uninstall and reinstall the drivers or disable the dualhead feature in the Advanced->Dualhead tab.

BC547 aka Dirk

PS. I haven't tried yet using MGAtweak again to enable it again (will do that in a minute).

Comment

Remeber to always exit in 800x600x32 from Q3, sometimes the TGL doesnt like to start in any other resolutions...

------------------
          PIII 450 @ 464
          generic BX6 motherboard
          G400 MAX : )
          Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 33
          Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 66
          Creative 36x CD-ROM
          HP 2x2x6x CD-RW
          64 megs PC100 RAM
          Intel 10/100
          Soundblaster 32 AWE
          DiamondMAX 56k
          Logitech Wireless Desktop (best $50 ive ever spent)
          1 92mm Sunon Fan
          4 80mm Sunon Fan's
          <a href="http://www.tweak3d.net">www.tweak3d.net</a>

Comment

Dyre,

Remember to always exit in 800x600x32 from Q3, sometimes the TGL doesnt like to start in any other resolutions...

I don't use any other resolution. I always play(ed) in 800x600x32 (the highest quality setting).

BC547 aka Dirk

Comment

I don't see any option in MGATweak to control VSYNC. Where is the option?

I would like to be sure vsync is disabled.
              I just instsalled the new TGL with 5.41 drvs.

No matter how I reduce the resolution or color depth I can't get Q3 to timedemo past 60 fps. VSYNC must still be enabled.

Please help me turn the mother F. off.

700mhz K7 and G400 at 150/200

thx
              Buy Low end and overclock it on the high end!

Comment

you can also try your aperture size to 256 or reverting to the 5.30

Comment

Mr. PC Geek: I wish I had your problem. 60 FPS is not bad at all

I would not worry if I were you, it's more than playable, even in multiplay.

------------------
                  Cya,
                  J.

"Unix can be a cynical Operating System for a person whos mind is limited to a Windows user interface"

System specs:
                  AMD Athlon 600mhz, 256MB RAM, Matrox Millenium G200 (PD5.41), Nothing O/C.
                  Running Windows 98SE & Redhat Linux 6.1

Cya,
                  J.

"Unix can be a cynical Operating System for a person whos mind is limited to a Windows user interface"

System specs:
                  AMD Athlon 600mhz, OEM FIC SD11, 192MB RAM, Matrox Millenium G200 (PD5.41), Nothing O/C.
                  Running Windows 98SE & Linux Mandrake 7

Comment

Working...
                  X